If you have an interest to immigrate to Canada as an environmental health and safety inspector, you will be pleased to know that you are making the right move.
Moreover, the need for environmental health and safety inspector has increased steadily because there has been public awareness of health and safety issues in recent years.
In addition, most provincial governments are increasing the number of environmental and health inspectors as a result of public pressure.
Here is a complete guide on how you can immigrate to Canada as an environmental health and safety inspector. Included are the pathways and steps involved in immigrating to Canada.
Table of Contents
- Who are Environmental Health and Safety Inspector
- What are the Examples of Jobs Under the NOC Code 2263 (Skill Level B, Type 2)?
- Requirements Necessary to Immigrate to Canada as an Environmental Health and Safety Inspector
- Pathways to Immigrate to Canada as an Environmental Health and Safety Inspector
- Steps to Immigrate to Canada as an Environmental Health and Safety Inspector
- Frequently Asked Questions
Who are Environmental Health and Safety Inspector
Inspectors in this category assess and observe health and safety hazards and devise approaches to manage risks in the work settings. Work settings, in this case, include public facilities, restaurants, industrial establishments, municipal water systems among other workplaces.
Besides, environmental health and safety inspectors inspect these work settings to ensure compliance with governmental regulations and standards in areas of sanitation, pollution control, the handling and storage of hazardous substances as well as workplace safety. What’s more, they can be found in the private and public sectors alike.
What are the Job Descriptions of an Environmental and Health Safety Inspector?
Inspectors in the environmental health and safety sector carry out some or all of the below duties:
- Examine the wholesome conditions of workplaces like restaurants, hotels, schools, hospitals and other public facilities or institutions.
- Carry out inspections and intensive care programs of the natural environment to detect causes of greenhouse gasses.
- Collect samples of water analyses.
- Measure physical, biological and chemical workplace hazards, while conducting safety and environmental audits.
- Inspect health and safety-related complaints of the environment, including spills of harmful chemicals, epidemics and workplace misfortunes.
- Review work settings to make certain that equipment, materials and production practices do not connote a safety or health risk to workers, visitors or members of the public as a whole.
- Develop, enforce and estimate health and safety programs and strategies.
- Devise implementation measures to sanction or close a business that goes against governmental regulations and standards.
- Offer consultation and deliver training packages to employers, employees and the entire populace on issues that centre on public health, environmental protection and workplace safety.
What are the Examples of Jobs Under the NOC Code 2263 (Skill Level B, Type 2)?
As an environmental health and safety inspector, you can assume any of the roles mentioned below:
- Environmental health officer
- Hazardous waste inspector
- Health and safety officer
- Pollution control inspector
- Public health inspector
- Occupational health and safety officer
- Pollution control inspector
- Public health inspector
- Restaurant inspector
- Rodent control officer
- Supervisor, public health inspector
- Water inspector
- Flood damage inspector
- Field supervisor – occupational
- Hazardous waste management technologist
- Industrial health inspector
- indusreial safety officer – occupational health and safety
- Labor affairs officer – occupational health and safety
- Industrial waste control inspector
Requirements Necessary to Immigrate to Canada as an Environmental Health and Safety Inspector
Basically, two basic requirements will make you eligible to immigrate to Canada as an environmental health and safety inspector. They are:
The general requirements to immigrate to Canada are the same, regardless of the occupation, you are going for. Again, they play important roles in your immigration as they will determine your fate in jumping the hurdles of the chosen pathway through which you can move into Canada. Therefore, you must show proof that you are eligible for them all. Below are some of them:
Technically the education requirements determine the kind of occupation you can take up in Canada. Therefore, you must meet the educational condition mentioned in the specific requirements to enable you to immigrate to Canada as an environmental health and safety inspector.
Your age is equally important to enable you to immigrate to Canada. As a result, you must be between the age of 18 and 35 to be eligible for Canadian immigration.
To be eligible for the specific occupation you do in Canada, you provide proof that you have enough experience to pull through. Hence, you must have at least one year of work experience as an environmental health and safety inspector before applying for your immigration to Canada.
Proof of fund
In addition to the above, you must have at least 10 000 CAD as proof of fund to enable you to take care of your basic needs while you work towards settling down and getting a good job.
Language proficiency in either of Canadian’s official languages is very necessary. As a result, you should be able to prove that you can speak English or French language fluently. Therefore, you must write any of the required examples, including IELTS, TOEFL, TEF, etc.
Moving into a new environment is not always easy and may affect an individual’s health. Therefore, you must prove that you can adapt to the environmental and working conditions of Canada. Besides, you must show a medical report in this regard.
Specific Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as an Environmental Health and Safety Inspector
To immigrate to Canada as an environmental health and safety inspector, you need to possess the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree or college diploma in food science, environmental studies, chemistry or health and safety
- Some years of work experience in relevant fields
- Certification for public health inspectors employed outside Quebec
- Certification with the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (BCRSP)
In addition, you must:
- Attest to being drug-free
- Have a clean police record during the past five years, excluding speeding offences.
Pathways to Immigrate to Canada as an Environmental Health and Safety Inspector
Having satisfied both the general and specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as an environmental health and safety inspector, you need to understand the possible pathways to enable you to immigrate to Canada.
What’s more, you must choose one of the pathway programs which accommodates the kind of skills you possess. Although there are many pathways to follow, we have identified the best options for you. Here, they are:
Express Entry System
Technically, this program takes place online because you will need to create an online account to enable you to fill your form and upload your documents. In short, the Express Entry profile is where you give information about yourself.
Moreover, the Express Entry system does not require you to apply for permanent residence a job offer. But then, with a job offer, your movement can be accelerated.
Above and beyond, it is the easiest and fastest means you can immigrate to Canada as an environmental health and safety inspector. By creating your profile, you will need to fulfil the general requirements, with or without a job offer.Therefore, if you are eligible, you will be accepted into the pool of candidates.
Additionally, you will be ranked in the Express Entry pool using a points-based ranking system. Thus, your score will be based on the information you provide about yourself.
Without a doubt, if you meet the cut-off mark, you will receive an invitation to apply (ITA). If you receive this invite, you have just 60 days to respond by submitting your application for permanent residence. In six months or less, all the applications with the supporting documents will be processed.
In addition, the Express Entry is divided into three federal immigration streams and they are:
- Canadian Express Class
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
Practically, you are qualified to apply as a skilled worker since your NOC code falls under Skill Level B.
Provincial Nominee Program
The Canadian government designed this program to help Canadian provinces meet up the labor shortages and economic needs of each province. For you to qualify under the Provincial Nominee Program, one of the Canadian provinces or territories will nominate you as a candidate.
Furthermore, most of the provinces in Canada have an arrangement with the Canadian government to carry out their privilege of nominating immigrant workers who might be interested to work in a province of their choice.
Meeting the conditions of the province will offer you the chance of getting selected in the pool. When this takes place, you can apply for permanent residency with the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Since immigrating to Canada as an environmental health and safety inspector does not require a job offer, it is equally important to secure a job beforehand. As long as you can prove that you can work in the right organization with a job offer from a Canadian employer, then, you can successfully move to Canada.
Quebec Experience Class Program
If you wish to permanently settle in Quebec, you can apply for your immigration through this route. However, because Quebec is a French-speaking province, you must provide your proficiency in the French language.
Steps to Immigrate to Canada as an Environmental Health and Safety Inspector
To immigrate to Canada, you must follow certain steps to enable you to carry out the requirements. Most importantly, you must fulfil the requirements of each step for you to move to the next. Therefore, the underneath steps are necessary for you to follow:
Step 1: Create an Express Entry profile
The first thing you will need to do is to open an Express Entry profile. Normally, you need to visit the IRCC official website to be able to do so. It does not require any financial commitment.
Step 2: Choose a program
Next, you will choose a program to enable you to emigrate to Canada as an environmental health and safety inspector. Worthy of note is that it must be a program that is in line with your job.
Step 3: Get a job offer
Thirdly, you will need to get a job offer from a Canadian employer. Interestingly, for you to immigrate to Canada, your prospective employer must prove to the Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) that no one in Canada is qualified for that job role.
Step 4: Receive an invitation to apply
Here, you will receive and an invitation to apply and you must submit that within the next 60 days. Moreover, the application fee is around CAD 150.
Step 5: Apply for your work permit.
After the application, your work permit will be given to you at your port of entry into Canada. If for any reason, it is not ready by then, you will have to reschedule within two weeks to have it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is an environmental health and safety inspector in demand in Canada?
Despite many inspectors in this category who immigrate to Canada over the past few years, there is still a high demand for them in Canada from both national and provincial bases.
How much can I receive as an environmental health and safety inspector in Canada?
Canadian employers pay as high as $88 500 per year to environmental health and safety inspectors
If you have been wondering how easy for you to immigrate to Canada as an environmental health and safety inspector, we believe that we have cleared your doubts.
And so, it is left for you to get yourself prepared and join others in enjoying a good life in Canada. You can also hit the share button to help others on your list.