Canada has made immigration simple. As a result, many can now think of immigrating to Canada as a financial officer.
Moreover, a professional occupation like a financial officer in Canada is always found in an in-demand job. Hence making it easy for those who have the experience to successfully immigrate to Canada as a financial officer.
However, it won’t be easy to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer if you do not follow the necessary steps that are written in this article.
Due to this, this article covers a wide variety of information you need to know and follow in order to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer.
Therefore, as you read through in search of the pathways to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer, you will also see what financial officers do in Canada, general and specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer, and job titles contained under financial officers according to Canada National Occupation Classification NOC code.
Table of Contents
- Job of a financial officer in Canada
- Examples of occupations under NOC 1114 for financial officers
- Main duties of a financial officer in Canada
- Necessary requirements to immigrate to Canada
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer
- Frequently Asked Questions
Job of a financial officer in Canada
There are so many financial-related jobs in Canada but people immigrate to Canada as a financial officers to do this job.
Financial officers carry out financial planning, financial examinations, and inspection.
Moreover, financial officers serve as financial investigators, financial underwriters, mortgage brokers, and trust officers.
Whereas they are employed by banks, trust companies, investment firms, and governments, or they may be self-employed.
Examples of occupations under NOC 1114 for financial officers
Immigrants to Canada as financial officers can be in any of the occupations below as contained in the Canadian NOC code 1114. So the job titles are:
- Account manager
- Bank inspector
- Bonds underwriter
- Credit adjudicator
- Estate and trust administrator
- Credit agency inspector
- Financial institutions inspector
- Credit unions examiner
- Estate administrator
- Securities underwriter
- Estate executor
- Finance and credit administrator – international banking
- Securities counsellor
- Financial institutions examiner
- Securities analyst – personal finances
- Financial investigator officer
- Trust officer
- Financial management officer – pension plan analysis
- Mortgage underwriter
- Financial management officer – program budgeting
- Personal trust officer
- Financial planner
- Mortgage broker
- Financial planner – personal finances
- Personal financial planner
- Financial services consultant
- Lending solutions manager
- Financial underwriter
- Foreign interbanking arrangements officer
- Investment counsellor – personal finances
- Interbanking arrangements officer
- Financial management
- Investment advisor – personal finances
Jobs Exclusions from financial officers in Canada.
Some jobs are similar but they are excluded from the jobs of financial officers in Canada according to the Canadian NOC 1114. Therefore those jobs are:
- Economic development officers (See 4163 Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultants)
- Financial and investment analysts (See 1112 Financial and investment analysts)
- Managers in financial and business services (See 012 Managers in financial and business services)
- Economists (See 4162 Economists and economic policy researchers and analysts)
- Securities agents, investment dealers and brokers (See 1113 Securities agents, investment dealers and brokers
Main duties of a financial officer in Canada
Immigrants to Canada as a financial officers have several duties to perform but their main duties are:
- Financial planners
- Mortgage brokers
- Examiners and Inspectors of Finance
- Financial investigators
- Financial underwriters
- Trust officers
Financial officers develop personal financial plans for clients covering cash management, finances, insurance coverage, investments, retirement and estate planning, taxes, and legal matters.
Moreover, they analyze clients’ financial records, set goals, and develop a financial strategy; Advise clients on implementing the financial plan to help them achieve their goals
Yet they may also arrange for the purchase and sale of financial products and investments depending on the licence held, and monitor the portfolio to ensure its quality and profitability. May help to expand the business and attract new clients.
Meet with clients to obtain information about income, liabilities and assets, and type, price and condition of property to be mortgaged. Negotiate mortgage loans with lenders or lending institutions on behalf of clients.
Financial examiners and inspectors
Review and examine banks, trust companies, credit unions, caisses populaires, credit companies, real estate companies, insurance companies, pension funds, securities brokers and other financial services and institutions to ensure compliance with governing legislation and regulations.
Investigate possible unethical conduct or breaches of securities or commodity futures laws by persons or companies that trade in securities and commodity futures or that provide related financial services.
Administer estate, personal, charitable, corporate and other types of trusts. Direct trust account investments, receive and record investment income and disburse trust funds.
Underwrite new issues of stocks and bonds. Negotiate with corporations and governments to determine the type and terms of new securities issued and prepare offering prospectuses.
Necessary requirements to immigrate to Canada
For one to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer or for any other occupation, he or she must meet two categories of requirements which are:
- General requirements
- Specific requirements
General requirements to work in Canada
Everyone who wants to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer or for any job must meet these general requirements stated below:
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Arranged employment
- Work experience
- Proof of fund
- Your partner’s ability
If you wish to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer, you must be able to speak the official languages of Canada (English and French).
However, you are required to submit language proficiency tests results. They include
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)
- Test d’Evaluation de Français Canada (TEF)
- The Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST)
- Test de Connaissance du Français Canada (TCF)
This is another factor to be considered while immigrating to Canada. When one is 18 years and above he or she is eligible to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer
Usually in Canada, every immigrant seeking employment must have basic educational qualifications such as completing their high school education or having an ordinary level certificate. Therefore, to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer, you must be qualified educationally.
Your partner’s ability
The work experience, skills, language proficiency, and age of your spouse or common-law partner can also help you to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer.
However, this helps to increase your Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) point.
Trying to Immigrate to Canada as a financial officer may require your ability to adapt to the new environment, the weather, and the working conditions in Canada,
However, if you cannot cope with these changes you may not be able to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer.
Proof of funds
Any immigrant to Canada must show proof of funds which is CA$10,000. This proof of funds shows that you have enough money to take care of your living expenses in Canada. Therefore, before you can immigrate to Canada as a financial officer, you must provide proof of financial funds from a trusted financial institution.
Your work experience is a huge factor to consider when immigrating to Canada as a financial officer.
Therefore, when planning to immigrate to Canada, you must have work experience proof for your profession which shows evidence of your prior knowledge for the job you are seeking for.
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer
As a professional who seeks to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer, you will have certain requirements that are outside the general requirements
Therefore, these requirements are specifically needed to qualify you for the post of financial officer in Canada. Hence these requirements are:
- A bachelor’s degree in business administration, commerce, economics or a related field is usually required.
- Various training programs and courses are offered by financial institutes and organizations, such as the Canadian Securities Institute, Institute of Canadian Bankers, Institute of Chartered Financial Analysts, Investment Funds Institute, Canadian Institute of Financial Planning, and Trust Companies Institute of Canada, and may be required by employers.
- The designation Certified Financial Planner, awarded by the Financial Planners Standards Council of Canada, may be required.
- Certification as a Financial Planner is required in Quebec.
- Financial planners who sell regulated financial products and investments, such as annuities, RRSPs and life insurance, are required to be licensed by the appropriate governing body.
- Mortgage brokers require a real estate licence in Quebec and a mortgage broker licence in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, and British Columbia.
- Financial examiners and inspectors may require a recognized accounting designation.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer
The following immigration pathways will help you to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer, therefore, you can choose from any of them:
- Express entry
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- In-Demand occupations
- Job offer
Canada’s Express Entry
You can use the Express Entry as a pathway under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) in order to immigrate to Canada.
But an Express Entry profile account needs to be created online using your:
- Educational certificates with ECA report
- Language test result
- Proof of fund
- Arranged employment/job offer
- Nomination certificate (if nominated), among others.
Therefore, by uploading the stated documents above, you can get qualifying scores on the Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).
Meanwhile, there are three programs under the express entry system. They include:
- Federal skilled trades program
- Canada experience class
- Federal skilled worker program
2. Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)
This program is surely another pathway to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer. Though its processes take a much longer time.
Yet, Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) are effective and can help to earn CRS points with ease if your nomination request is accepted.
3: Job offer
A job offer is a fast track to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer. Therefore, if you have a job offer, you can use it as a pathway to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer. This is because it shows that you meet the requirements for the job. However, your employer must prove that no Canadian citizen and permanent resident can fill the position.
4: In-demand jobs
Many jobs in Canada are regarded as in-demand jobs. What this means is that there are many vacancies in that position in Canada. Therefore, employers are looking for foreign workers to fill in vacant positions.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer
If you know the steps required of you to immigrate to Canada, it would be less difficult for you to make your journey successfully.
Therefore, below are steps that will guide you on how you can begin to process your immigration to Canada as a financial officer
Step1: Open an Express entry profile
The first thing you need to do as a potential financial officer in Canada is to open an Express entry profile.
Therefore, you do this by opening an express entry profile account through the IRCC website which is free
Step 2: Choose a program
The Second Step in this process is for you to choose a program you want. That will help you go through your application and immigrate to Canada as a financial officer.
Moreover, you must endeavor to choose a program that is in line with your occupation.
Therefore, a list of the programs to choose are:
- Canada Experience Class
- Federal skilled worker program
- Provincial Nominee programs
- Quebec Experience Class
- Federal skilled trade program
- Quebec skilled worker program
Step 3: get a job offer
If you want to immigrate to Canada successfully as a financial officer you should get a job offer from a Canadian employer.
However, the employer will prove that no employee in Canada can perform that role or function, and also the employer will take permission from the labor market impact Assessment (LMIA).
Step 4: get an invitation to apply
You will be notified to apply, but this happens when you qualify for any program under the Express Entry system as you have chosen.
Moreover, many factors will determine your qualification to apply such as language proficiency, age, work experience, and educational qualification, and others
Step 5: Submit your application with other supporting documents
The next step in this process is for you to submit your documents and your application letter.
Remember that the application must be submitted within 60 days from the date you get the invitation to apply.
In addition, to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer, you must ensure that you submit your application letter, which will cost you CAD$150.
Step 6: get your work permit
However, the next thing for you to do is to apply for a work permit when you land in Canada at the port of entry.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average salary of a financial officer in Canada?
The average financial officer salary in Canada is $65,506 per year or $33.59 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $51,947 per year.
Are financial officers in high demand in Canada?
Yes because several establishments in Canada demand the services of financial officers in Canada.
What is the financial officer NOC code?
Having known the pathways and necessary steps to immigrate to Canada as a financial officer, therefore, you can now proceed with your journey in an easy way.