Canada is a beautiful and developed country with nice infrastructure and facilities. The increased use of furniture for designs and decoration requires that workers immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher
Undoubtedly, furniture is one of the things that is used to decorate houses in Canada. The accurate designs and beautiful structures made by furniture finishers have contributed to the quality of offices and companies in Canada. Therefore, if you are creative and smart, your service is currently needed to immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher.
Furniture finishers are quite successful in Canada, the average salary of a furniture finisher is $37,050 annually. You can make up to $47,775 if you are so experienced.
So in this article, we will start with what furniture finishers do, secondly your main duty as a furniture finisher, then the list of jobs to expect when you immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher.
Afterward, we’ll make mention of the requirements needed to work and immigrate to Canada
So, keep following!
In this article
- Who is a furniture finisher and what do they do?
- Main duties of a furniture finisher
- Examples of furniture finisher jobs
- Requirements to work in Canada as a furniture finisher
- Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher
- General requirements to work in Canada as a furniture finisher
- #1. Education background
- #2. Age requirements
- #3. Language requirements
- #4. Work experience
- Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a Furniture finisher
- #1. Canada Express entry
- #2. Provincial nomination
- #3. Job offers
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who is a furniture finisher and what do they do?
Firstly, a furniture finisher finishes metal furniture or new wood to specified finish and color. Majorly they restore, revitalize and beautify damaged, worn, and used furniture to make it beautiful again.
Oftentimes, they are employed in retail furniture stores, furniture manufacturing plants, or repair shops. However, you may be self-employed if you so wish.
Good news! Furniture finishing is an occupation that is on the Canadian NOC list. Hence, your immigration to Canada to proceed in your career is feasible. The code for furniture finisher and refinisher is 9534
Basically, you will be required to finish and design furniture to the taste of clients. There are many furniture finishers in Canada. Hence, you need to step up your game as a furniture finisher to be successful when you immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher.
Main duties of a furniture finisher
The following are the expected responsibilities, duties, and tasks that you will undertake at work when you immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher or refinisher.
- Firstly, finish furniture
- Operate and set up finishing machines and manually finish furniture
- Stain or design wood to specified color with paint or other materials using spray gun or brush
- Apply shaders or toners highlight blazers to obtain a beautiful and desired finish
- Utilize lacquer or other sealers
- Mark wood surfaces and decorate to create an antique or other effects using power tools or hand
- Polish and clean furniture
- Sound metal furniture in preparation for finish and spray with materials such as spray
- Refinish furniture
- Strip old finish from wood surfaces using solvent and steel wool sandpaper
Examples of furniture finisher jobs
Surely, there are different job prospects under the Canadian NOC code 9534 (i.e under furniture finisher). To immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher, you must be aware of the job prospects you will encounter. we have listed some of them below
- Antiquer – furniture finishing
- Decorator – furniture finishing and refinishing
- Finisher – furniture finishing
- Finishing machine operator
- Finishing machine operator – furniture manufacturing
- Frame moulding finisher – furniture manufacturing
- Frame molding painter – furniture manufacturing
- Furniture buffer – furniture finishing
- Furniture decorator – furniture finishing and refinishing
- Enameller – furniture
- Furniture finisher
- Repairer and finisher- Furniture Furniture finishing decorator
- Varnisher- Furniture finishing
- Polisher- furniture
- Furniture polisher – furniture finishing
- Refinisher of Furniture
- Furniture refinishing varnisher
- Reproducer- furniture
- Stainer- Furniture
- Furniture stripper
- Furniture varnisher
- Finishing machine operator- Furniture
- Grainer – furniture finishing and refinishing
- Matcher – furniture finishing and refinishing
- Metal furniture repairer
- Ornamenter – furniture finishing and refinishing
- Painter-finisher – furniture finishing
- Piano and organ finisher
- Piano and organ refinisher
- Rough shellac sprayer – furniture finishing and refinishing
- Satin finisher – furniture finishing and refinishing
- Shader – furniture finishing and refinishing
- Shellac sprayers – furniture finishing and refinishing
- Spray stainer – furniture finishing and refinishing
- Touch-up person – furniture finishing
- Touch-up worker – furniture finishing
- Trimmer – furniture finishing
Requirements to work in Canada as a furniture finisher
Generally, the following are what is required of you to process before you will be able to Immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher
- Firstly, the minimum educational level you can have is a secondary school education
- Also, an industry course in furniture refinishing or finishing may be required
- You have to provide an on-the-job training certificate
- Lastly, you must have strong attention to detail with good interpersonal and listening skills.
- Note that decorators and painters are excluded (except interior decorators) (Check 7294 Painters and decorators except interior decorators).
- Also, Upholsterers are excluded likewise (Check 6345 Upholsterers)
Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher
Without a doubt, working or planning to immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher entails you meet requirements. These requirements are general and specific. Therefore, if you so wish to work in Canada you must meet these requirements
For a start, we will look at the general requirements to immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher
General requirements to work in Canada as a furniture finisher
Surely, you must not leave out any of the IRCC requirements if you want your application to be successful. However, CRS (comprehensive ranking system) is used by the Canadian government to reward and evaluate points on Express entry profiles and rank each profile.
Here are the general requirements you have to meet
- Education background
- Age requirements
- Language Requirements
- Work experience
#1. Education background
Basically, you don’t need a strenuous education qualification before you will be able to immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher. However, the least educational qualifications accepted as a furniture finisher is secondary school education
#2. Age requirements
As regarding your age, teenagers less than 18 years will not be allowed to immigrate to Canada as a furniture finishers. Also, adults above 45 years are not allowed likewise.
#3. Language requirements
Importantly, you have to prove your language proficiency by partaking in French or English proficiency tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, TEF, PTE, and TCF.
#4. Work experience
Surely, the minimum work experience you need as a furniture finisher is a year of full-time work experience. However, the higher your work experience is the higher your chances.
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher
- Without a doubt, furnisher workers must possess a training certificate that satisfies that they have undergone training as a furniture finisher.
- Likewise, Not only should you be able to work independently, but also have eye-hand coordination.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a Furniture finisher
Undoubtedly, you can use Express entry as a pathway to immigrate to Canada. You can create a profile using either a federal skilled worker’s program, Federal skilled program, or Canadian experience class.
Also, you will need to create an Express entry profile using the following documents
- Proof of fund
- Educational certificates with
- Language test result
- Arranged employment/job offer
- Nomination certificate (if nominated).
You will earn qualifying scores on CRS Express entry after uploading the documents
Province nominee program is surely another pathway to immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher. You can earn a whopping 600 points if you get nominated by a province to move as a furniture finisher. The following provinces offer a province nominee program for furniture finishes. They are;
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
- Yukon Territory
#3. Job offers
Getting a job offer as a furniture finisher is a sign that you are a top-notch worker.
Workers that immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher through job offers surely have a very high probability of getting a positive response. This is because, with an employment letter from a prospective employee, you gain more grounds to Immigrate.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher
Truthfully, a large number of experts in furniture finishing are unable to immigrate to Canada because they do not know the steps involved in doing so.
But I have good news for you. The following is the stepwise guide for you to immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher to do what you know best.
Step 1: Firstly, you will have to determine if you are eligible for the provincial nominee program or Canada Express entry
Step 2: Secondly, you can create an Express Entry profile. You should update all your information before submitting it.
Step 3: An ITA (invitation to apply) will be sent to you if you’re successful. So, you must apply for permanent residency within 60 days afterward.
Step 4: Then, expect your outcome within a couple of months. But you should note that it takes 6 months for Canada’s permanent resident to be approved if you applied through Express entry. However, it takes 19 months before approval of you applied via Provincial nomination
Congratulations welcome to Canada!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are the tools needed to finish furniture?
The following are the tools or instrument that is needed by furniture finishes to finish furniture or repair damaged ones.
- Good sandpaper
- A nice thick stripper for paint removal
- Fine steel wool and paste wax
- Thin stripper for finish removal
- Wipe-on stains and finishes
- Good clothes
- Odds and ends
- A power sander
What are the main types of wood finishes?
The following are the three categories of wood finishing: evaporative, coalescing and reactive wood finishing.
Finally, furniture finishing is a lucrative occupation in Canada. Many houses are constantly looking to change or repair their furniture. Hence, you should work towards your goal to Immigrate to Canada as a furniture finisher