Canada on daily basis will gladly welcome immigrating Geological Engineer because the country is developing in the area of infrastructural development such as road construction; construction of dams to boost agricultural activities likewise mining of minerals and petroleum products, these activities require services of Geological Engineer.
Immigrating to Canada as a Geological Engineer will be highly rewarding and provide you the opportunity to be exposed to different technological advancements in relation to the field of Geological Engineer.
As an immigrating Geological Engineer, it is your desire to know more about the job roles of Geological Engineer in Canada, how to migrate to Canada, average Salary annually, duties of Geological Engineer, requirements, and timeframe also how to live in Canada peacefully and successfully. This guide will do justice to all you need to know while immigrating to Canada as Geological Engineer.
In this article
- Job Definition of Geological Engineer in Canada
- Geological Engineer Duties or job descriptions
- Examples of jobs under the occupation of Geological Engineering
- Employment Requirements to work in Canada as a Geological Engineer
- Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as Geological Engineer
- General requirements to immigrate to Canada
- Specific requirements for immigrating Geological Engineer to Canada
- Pathways to Immigrate to Canada as a Geological Engineer
- Express Entry
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as a Geological Engineer
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Job Definition of Geological Engineer in Canada
Geological engineers are responsible for the conduct geological and geotechnical studies to assess the suitability of locations for civil engineering, mining, and oil and gas projects; and plan, design, develop and supervise programs of geological data acquisition and analysis and the preparation of geological engineering reports and recommendations.
The Canadian government has a National Occupation Code (NOC) which is used to categorize similar or related occupations in the Country for effective job distribution, efficiency, and productivity.
The NOC code for Geological Engineering jobs and it similar profession is 2144. It is very important that as an immigrating Geological Engineer you are familiar with this NOC code.
Geological engineers are employed in consulting engineering companies, electrical utilities, mining, and petroleum companies, and in government and research and educational institutions.
Geological Engineer Duties or job descriptions
The duties performed by Geological Engineers under the National Occupation Code (NOC) code 2144 in the different organizations or companies where they are employed in Canada include the followings:
- Plan, develop and coordinate programs of geotechnical, geological, geophysical, or geohydrological data acquisition, analysis, and mapping to assist in the development of civil engineering, mining, petroleum, and waste management projects or for regional development
- Analyze and prepare recommendations and reports for construction or improvements to foundations of civil engineering projects such as rock excavation, pressure grouting, and hydraulic channel erosion control
- Analyze and prepare recommendations and reports on the settlement of buildings, stability of slopes and fills, and probable effects of landslides and earthquakes to support construction and civil engineering projects
- Conduct theoretical and applied study of groundwater flow and contamination and develop prescriptions for site selection, treatment, and construction
- Plan, develop, co-ordinate and conduct theoretical and experimental studies in mining exploration, mine evaluation, and feasibility studies relative to the mining industry
- Conduct surveys and studies of ore deposits, ore reserve calculations, and mine design
- Design, develop and implement computer applications for geophysics, geochemistry, geology, mapping, and related fields
- Supervise technologists, technicians, and other engineers and scientists.
Examples of jobs under the occupation of Geological Engineering
As earlier stated that the NOC code 2144 has a series of related jobs under it, it is expected that as an immigrating Geological Engineer to Canada to know the related jobs which could be in line with your area of specialization or interest. The jobs are listed below:
- geological engineer
- geophysical engineer
- geotechnical engineer
- hydrogeological engineer – engineering
- hydrogeology engineer – engineering
- supervising engineer – petrography
- supervising engineer – rock sciences
Employment Requirements to work in Canada as a Geological Engineer
The job of Geological Engineer in Canada is on a professional basis which you can easily secure as an Immigrating Geological Engineer if you meet up with the minimum academic qualifications required and Professional certification by relevant regulatory bodies in Canada.
Find below the employment requirements for Geological Engineer who wishes to work in Canada under the NOC code 2144.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in geological engineering or in a related discipline is required for immigrating Geological Engineer.
- A master’s degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline may be required or could be an added advantage for placement.
- Licensing by a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers is required to approve engineering drawings and reports and to practice as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- Engineers are eligible for registration following graduation from an accredited educational program, three or four years of supervised work experience in engineering and passing a professional practice examination
Other relevant information
These are not requirements but having access to such information as an immigrating Geological Engineer could influence your decision or make you more prepared for the task ahead. The additional information includes:
- There is considerable mobility between engineering specializations at the less senior levels.
- Supervisory and senior positions in this unit group require experience.
- Geological engineers work closely with geologists and other scientists and engineers, and mobility is possible between some fields of specialization.
- Engineers often work in a multidisciplinary environment and acquire knowledge and skills through work experience that may allow them to practice in associated areas of science, engineering, sales, marketing or management.
Exclusions under Geological engineering jobs
The following jobs are in the exclusive list of Geological engineering NOC codes despite their similarities. Their NOC codes are attached
- Civil engineers 2131
- Engineering managers 0211
- Geoscientists and oceanographers 2113
- Land surveyors 2154
- Mining engineers 2143
- Petroleum engineers 2145
Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as Geological Engineer
There are two categories of requirements when immigrating to Canada as a Geological Engineer. The general requirements and the Specific requirements, find below what each requirement entails.
General requirements to immigrate to Canada
Immigrating to Canada as a Geological Engineer, it is very important for you to meet up with the general requirements state below:
- Educational qualification
- Language ability (English or French)
- Work experience (if any)
- Job offer or arranged employment
- Partner’s skills ( not compulsory)
- Adaptability ( adapt to a new environment)
The minimum age expected is 18 years while immigrating to Canada as a Geological Engineer.
It is mandatory for every immigrant to Canada to be able to read, write and communicate fluently either in English language or French. The following are the tests available for you to write to proof your language proficiency.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test d’Evaluation de Français Canada (TEF)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL
The minimum educational qualification for an immigrating Geological Engineer to Canada is Bachelor’s degree in Geological Engineering or other related fields, anything less may not make the process successful.
Immigrating to Canada as Geological Engineer with experience gives you an advantage of higher placement or job offer, if you don’t have any you are still good to go for the entry-level position.
Job offer or arranged employment
if you are not immigrating to Canada through the Express entry option but through provincial nomination or job offer, it is expected that an employer in Canada would have offered you a job as a Geological Engineer following the approval of Canadian immigration.
As an immigrating Geological Engineer to Canada with a partner who is skillful in one of the highly demanded jobs in Canada. This will boost your CRS points in the process of evaluation of your application.
It is expected that an immigrating Geological Engineer to Canada, should be fit medically and physically to get used to the Canadian environment. Your medical certificate will be required to ascertain this.
Specific requirements for immigrating Geological Engineer to Canada
The specific requirement is purely in relation to academic and professional certification or licensing by the relevant and recognized bodies. Basically, the specific requirements are:
- Minimum of bachelor degree in Geological Engineering or related field
- License from a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers in Canada.
Pathways to Immigrate to Canada as a Geological Engineer
The desire of every immigrating Geological Engineer to Canada is to find the easiest and safest pathways that will access permanent resident visas stress-free. It is on this note that the two best pathways to Canada for an immigrating Geological Engineer will be discussed. The two best and most preferable pathways are:
- Express Entry
- Provincial nomination program
The desire of many immigrating Geological Engineers to Canada is to use this pathway program because you don’t need to get a job before you can immigrate to Canada, work in any organization or province of your choice and you easily access your permanent resident visa.
It is very important that while creating your express entry profile you capture all the general and specific requirements. If possible you contact the dedicated consultant for a guide because the evaluation and assessments of your entry profile is very important for CRS points.
The program has three options which are:
- Canada experience class (CEC)
- Federal skilled worker program (FSWP)
- Federal skilled trades program (FSTP)
Advisably the Federal skilled worker program (FSWP) is most preferred; this is in relation to job descriptions and duties of Geological Engineers in Canada.
Provincial Nominee Program
The provincial nominee program also allows you to immigrate to Canada as a Geological Engineer in case the option above doesn’t work for you.
Immigrating to Canada as a Geological Engineer on a provincial nomination program will require you to choose a province you wish to work in. Securing a job offer is the best with this nomination program and you must be in your chosen province for a minimum of two years before you can move to another province.
Each Canadian province has its own provincial nominee program. Learn more about the requirements for various nominee programs in Canada.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a Geological Engineer
The steps below will give you all the needed information required to immigrate to Canada as a Geological Engineer in a simple and comprehensive manner.
Step 1: Open a Valid Express Entry Profile
Create an Express Entry profile in order to immigrate to Canada as a Geological Engineer. This profile is very important and it must cover vital information that is required by Canadian immigration.
The details mostly required are already in your requirements to immigrate to Canada. If properly presented or input your comprehensive ranking system (CRS) points will be high.
A CRS point of 67 and above will offer you the option to immigrate to Canada as a Geological Engineer via express entry.
Step 2: Choose a program
. The following are some of the programs through which you can immigrate to Canada as a Geological Engineer.
- Canadian Experience Class
- Federal skilled trade program
- Federal skilled worker program
- Provincial Nominee programs
Federal skilled worker program is the most preferable for an immigrating Geological Engineer.
Step 3: Obtain a job offer from a Canadian employer
This step involves finding a valid job offer from a Canadian company or firm if you wish to immigrate to Canada as a Geological Engineer. t.
The employer must demonstrate that no Canadian citizen or permanent resident is capable of filling the vacancy.
Step 4: Get an invitation to apply
If you meet the requirements for any of the express entry programs, you will receive an invitation to apply.
The moment an ITA is received you will be expected to apply within 60 days.
Step 5: Submit your supporting documents
In the process of your application, you will be required to submit your supporting documents such as Job offer letter, language proficiency exam result, identity card, proof of funds, and work experience evidence etc.
In addition, there is a CAD $150 application fee to pay.
Step 6: Obtain your work permit
The processing of your visa to immigrate to Canada as a Geological Engineer takes roughly two weeks.
So, after you receive an email indicating that your visa has been approved, get ready to enter Canada. Your work permit will be issued at a Canadian port of entry. Ensure that you pick up your work permit at a Canadian border crossing. You will not be able to work in Canada unless you have this.
Step 7: Welcome to Canada
Finally, once your application has been granted, you can enter Canada.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
How Much Do Geological engineers Earn in Canada?
In Canada, salaries are quite competitive, and you can expect to make between $77800 and $135800 per year as an experienced Geological engineer.
How do I search for Geological engineer positions in Canada?
The majority of geological engineer positions in Canada are offered on job boards. Geological engineer occupations are frequently identified by a code. These codes are used to designate a wide range of vocations in Canada.
In summary, the processes, benefits, job roles, and salaries of Geological engineers in Canada are motivating. Increase your speed limit to get to Canada as fast you can and tap from the numerous opportunities as a Geological engineer.