Are you an investment manager and wondering if it is possible to immigrate to Canada as an investment manager?
In recent times, the Canadian government has made everything easy for anyone from any part of the world looking to live and work in the country.
As an investment manager, this is your opportunity to immigrate to Canada to enjoy all the privileges that come with living in Canada.
Therefore, with the information in this article and with the right strategy and pathway, you will be able to step up your game and begin to plan your immigration to Canada.
Do you care to know more? Follow us in this article as we unveil everything you need to know about moving to Canada as an investment manager.
Who is an investment manager?
Banking, credit, and other investment managers plan, organize, direct, control, and evaluate the activities of financial establishments or operational departments within such establishments, or credit departments in industrial and commercial establishments.
They oversee business development and manage overall performance per established strategic directions and policies.
Banking managers are employed by banks, trust companies, and credit unions. Credit managers are employed by credit departments in department stores, utility companies, car dealerships, insurance companies, or other industrial or commercial organizations.
Other investment managers are employed by credit card companies, consumer loan companies, mutual fund investment firms, mortgage investment companies, or other financial establishments concerned with extending loans and financing and investments.
The NOC code for investment managers in Canada is 0122.
Job Description/Duties of an Investment Manager
For some of the professionals in this category of work, there are specified roles they play. which include:
- Banking managers
- Plan, organize, direct, control, and evaluate the branch operations of a bank, trust company, credit union, or similar financial institution or of a department in such an institution responsible for administering personal and commercial loans, buying and selling securities, operating investment funds, administering trusts, settling estates or other related activities
- Ensure the institution’s policies and procedures are followed according to established guidelines and make recommendations for improvement
- Network to develop business relations, promote the sale of loans, investment, and other banking services, and attract corporate and individual customers
- Interview corporate and individual customers and respond to customer inquiries
- Analyze, review and approve or reject loan and credit applications per authorized limits
- Monitor processing of loan applications and credit investigations
- Oversee preparation of monthly financial and branch progress reports
- Recruit personnel and identify their training needs.
- Credit managers
- Plan, organize, direct, control, and evaluate the activities of a credit department in an industrial or commercial organization
- Administer corporate, commercial, and personal loan accounts
- Advise customers on the commercial and personal financial services corresponding to their needs
- Evaluate and review loan and credit applications and collateral and make recommendations
- Approve or reject credit applications, establish credit limits and determine repayment plans or schedules following authorized limits
- Ensure collection of overdue or delinquent accounts
- Ensure credit policies and procedures are followed according to established guidelines and applicable legislation
- Prepare credit and loan reports
- Recruit credit personnel and identify their training needs
Examples of jobs under Investment Manager
If you are an investment manager looking to move to Canada to work under this NOC category 0122, there are several work titles you can be employed under. These include:
- accounts manager – banking, credit, and investment
- area manager – banking, credit, and investment
- assistant branch manager – banking, credit, and investment
- assistant consumer credit manager
- assistant corporate banking services manager
- assistant credit manager
- assistant operations manager – banking, credit, and investment
- assistant regional manager – banking
- bank branch manager
- bank director
- bank manager
- banking accounts manager
- banking operations manager
- branch administrative manager – banking, credit, and investment
- branch manager – banking, credit, and investment
- collection center manager
- collection manager
- collection manager – bank or trust company
- commercial attaché
- commercial banking manager
- commercial mortgages account manager
- commercial mortgages manager
- consumer credit management trainee
- consumer credit services manager trainee
- corporate accounts manager – banking, credit, and investment
- corporate banking center manager
- corporate services manager – banking, credit, and investment
- corporate trust services manager
- credit and accounts manager
- credit and collection department manager
- credit and collection manager
- credit approval and market development manager
- credit area co-ordinator
- credit card center manager
- credit card company operations manager
- credit manager
- credit union manager
- financial services manager
- international banking manager
- investment manager – bank or trust company
- investment manager – banking, credit, and investment
- loan and credit manager – banking or trust company
- loans manager
- loans manager trainee
- mortgage and consumer credit manager
- mortgage manager
- operations manager – banking, credit, and investment
- personal services manager – banking, credit, and investment
- personal trust manager
- regional bank manager
- regional collection manager
- regional credit manager
- senior accounts manager – banking, credit, and investment
- senior manager – personal financial services
- trust company branch manager
- trust company investment manager
- trust company manager
Requirements to work in Canada as an Investment Manager
Several requirements need to be satisfied to qualify to work as an investment manager in Canada.
Here are the employment requirements to work in Canada as an investment manager:
- A university degree or college diploma in business administration, commerce, economics, or a related field is usually required.
- A master’s degree in business administration, finance, or management science may be required for the management of large commercial loans.
- Completion of the company or other management training programs is usually required.
- Several years of experience within the industry, including supervisory experience, are required.
Exclusions under Investment Manager
The following is the list of job prospects that are excluded from the NOC code 0122:
- Mortgage brokerage managers
- Other business services managers
- Senior managers – financial, communications, and other business services.
Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as an Investment Manager
There are several requirements to be satisfied to successfully immigrate to Canada. They are:
Anybody who intends to work in Canada, no matter the kind of work, must meet these requirements to qualify to work in Canada.
The requirements are:
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Arranged employment
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
This requirement is very important as you need it to communicate in Canada. Therefore, Canadian workers, especially foreign workers, must meet the minimum language requirements for reading, speaking, writing, and listening.
You can take any of the language proficiency tests below to immigrate to Canada as an investment manager:
- International English language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as Foreign language (TOEFL)
- Canadian English language proficiency index program
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- The Canadian test of English for scholars and trainees
- Test de connaissance du Français Canada (TCF).
You should be up to 18 years before you can immigrate to Canada as an investment manager.
So if you have not reached the Canadian working age, you cannot work in Canada. Therefore, the working-age in Canada is 18 years.
The education requirement to immigrate to Canada as an investment manager is a secondary school.
However, certain jobs require more than secondary school. Therefore, you must get a report from ECA to prove your academic qualifications.
As soon as you arrange employment with a Canadian employer, it becomes easy for you to immigrate to Canada as an investment manager.
However, your employer must get a certification from the Labour Market Impact Assessment. In addition to that, you must also be the best candidate for the job.
Your adaptability to the Canadian weather can also help you while immigrating to work in Canada as an investment manager. Apart from that, you must be able to adapt to the demands of the job.
Therefore, before you can move to Canada as an investment manager in Canada, you must have a medical checkup to determine your fitness.
For you to increase your score in the comprehensive ranking system, you can include your work experience. A work experience means that you have the skills and experience to work in Canada.
So, while filling your application, make sure that you include all the previous work experience you have.
Your partner’s skills
Your partner’s skills are also necessary to boost your comprehensive ranking system CRS score. Therefore, your partner’s age, education, and other qualifications are needed to qualify you.
Pathways to Immigrate to Canada as an Investment Manager
It is easy to immigrate to Canada as an investment manager using any of the following pathways below:
- Express entry program
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- In-Demand occupations
- Job offer
This pathway to Canada remains the easiest pathway to immigrate to Canada.
Considering the ease and the multiple programs through which you can immigrate to Canada as an investment manager using express entry, you can use any of the listed programs below:
Provincial Nominee Program
In case you do not want to use the express entry, you can use the PNP. This is equivalent to the express entry.
However, this program is managed by the provincial governments. Therefore, if you meet their requirements for this program, you can apply for it.
You must be ready to live and work in the province that nominates you. In addition to that, you must be ready to adapt to the weather and work conditions of the province.
A valid job offer makes it easier to immigrate to Canada as an investment manager. But before you can use this pathway, there are certain conditions your employer must fulfill.
Firstly, the Canadian employer must get a clearance from the LMIA. Secondly, the employer must prove that you are the best candidate for the job. In addition, you must meet all the requirements for the job.
Sometimes, due to the scarcity of employees in a particular job, the job will be classified among the in-demand jobs in Canada.
Therefore, if your job is in this category, you can use the in-demand job as a pathway to immigrate to Canada as an investment manager.
Steps to Immigrate to Canada as an Investment Manager
These are necessary steps to follow if you want to immigrate to Canada as an investment manager.
Now, to immigrate to Canada as an investment manager, you need to go through the following steps:
Step 1: Express entry profile
Firstly, you need to open an Express Entry profile. To do so, you need to visit the IRCC official website to be able to do so. Moreover, it is free.
Step 2: Choose a program
The next step is for you to choose a program to enable you to immigrate to Canada as an investment manager. Most importantly, you meet the requirements for any program you choose.
Steps 3: Apply for a job
Thirdly, you can also get a job offer from a Canadian employer if you get lucky. However, this is not compulsory.
For your employer to get you across, they must prove to the Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) that no one in Canada is qualified for that job role.
Step 4: Receive an Invitation to apply
Fourthly, you will receive an invitation to apply and you must submit that within the next 60 days. Then, you will have to pay an application fee of about CAD 150.
Step 5: Apply for a work permit
Finally, apply for your work permit to work in Canada. Do not forget to get your work permit when you arrive in Canada.
Frequently Asked Questions
Must I use only a job offer to immigrate to Canada as an investment manager?
No. There are other entry options you can use outside job offers to immigrate to Canada as an investment manager.
How much does the application fee cost?
Your application fee cost is $150
What is the average salary of an investment manager in Canada?
The average salary of an investment manager in Canada is $82,500 per year or $42.31per hour. Entry-level positions start at $68,250 per year.
What is the processing time for a work visa to enter Canada as an investment manager?
The processing time for a Canadian work visa is 6 months.
What is the NOC code for investment managers in Canada?
The NOC code for investment managers in Canada is 0122.
It will be a dream come true if you follow the guidelines above to easily immigrate to Canada as an investment manager.