To Immigrate to Canada as a journalist is not as difficult as you may think. However, Canada is a democratic nation where freedom of the press is highly appreciated and recognized.
Currently, people who work in Canada as journalists may have nothing to fear as the Canadian government is willing to protect them from any illegal abuse.
Nevertheless, working in Canada is a prayer answered for so many journalists across the world looking for where to work and have peace as well as make a good income.
As much as Canada needs journalists to immigrate and work in their country, there are qualifications to maintain before you could Immigrate to Canada as a journalist.
Hopefully, if you could meet up those requirements you are good to go.
Coincidentally, many Professional journalists have immigrated to Canada and currently, they are doing well.
Courageously, people are still finding their way to Canada on a daily basis because Canada is the best destination for international journalists
However, this article explained in detail all the necessary things you should know about immigrating to Canada as a journalist, such as the requirements, pathway programs, steps for Immigrating to Canada as a journalist, and others
Table of Contents
- What does a Journalist do in Canada?
- Examples of Jobs under NOC 5123 list– Journalist
- Main duties of a Journalist in Canada
- Requirements for Immigrating to Canada as a journalist
- Pathway programs for immigrating to Canada as a journalist
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as a Journalist
- Frequently Asked Questions
What does a Journalist do in Canada?
Basically, it is good to be aware of what professional journalists do in Canada as you want to immigrate to Canada as a journalist.
Undoubtedly, journalists perform the following:
- Firstly, the research information.
- Secondly, they investigate information to gather factor
- Thirdly, they interpret and communicate newspapers
- Moreover, interpret public affairs through me
- Newspapers, television, radio, and other Media.
- However, Journalists are employed by radio and television networks and stations, newspapers, and magazines.
- In addition, journalists may also work on a freelance basis.
Examples of Jobs under NOC 5123 list– Journalist
Interestingly, their jobs that are in the same category as journalist Jobs.
Moreover, if you Immigrate to Canada as a journalist, you can as well under the following jobs:
- art critic
- book critic
- book reviewer
- broadcast journalist
- culinary journalist
- cyber reporter
- drama critic
- entertainment columnist
- fashion columnist
- feature reporter
- field reporter
- film critic
- financial reporter
- foreign affairs reporter
- law reporter
- foreign correspondent
- music critic
- foreign news correspondent
- investigative reporter
- literary critic
- multimedia information trader
- music critic
- music reviewer
- network reporter
- news analyst
- headline writer
- news analyst – broadcasting
- news commentator
- movie critic
- news commentator – broadcasting
- news correspondent
- news reporter
- news writer – international broadcasting
- newscast correspondent
- newspaper correspondent
- on-line columnist
- newspaper critic
- political columnist
- newspaper reporter
- on-line chronicler
- press reporter
- program researcher – radio or television
- radio commentator
- political reporter
- radio researcher
- society columnist
- society journalist
- newspaper editorial writer
- society reporter
- sports columnist
- newspaper writer
- sports reporter
- sports writer – journalism
- staff writer – newspaper
- stock market reporter
- television news anchorperson
- political analyst – radio or television
- television researcher
- theatre critic
Notedly, some related jobs are not in this group. Therefore, if you Immigrate to Canada as a journalist, you cannot engage in these jobs through NOC Code 5123.
The following are the excluded jobs:
- Announcers and other broadcasters (5231 announcers and other broadcasters)
- Authors and writers (5121 Authors and writers)
- Editors (5122 Editors)
Main duties of a Journalist in Canada
Generally, immigrating to Canada as a journalist requires, adequately, the knowledge of the major role of our duties as journalists in Canada. The following are the main duties of a journalist in Canada:
- Firstly, collect local, national, and international news through interviews, investigation, and observation.
- Secondary, write news stories for publication and broadcast. Thirdly, receive, analyze and verify news and other copy of accuracy
- Fourthly, arrange for and conduct interviews as part of research and for radio and television programs.
- Furthermore, research and reports on development in specialized fields such as medicine, science, and technology.
- Moreover, repair regular feature columns and stories on specialized topics.
- Also, write editorials and commentaries on topics of current interest to stimulate public interest and Express the view of a publication or broadcasting station.
- In addition, they also write critical reviews of literally, musical, and other artistic works based on knowledge, judgment, and experience.
- Furthermore, journalists may specialize in print, broadcast webcast Media,in particular issues such as political affairs or entertainment news, or in a particular geographical area
Requirements for Immigrating to Canada as a journalist
Generally, there are some requirements that must be met by anyone aspiring to immigrate to Canada as a journalist
Basically, these requirements are divided into two parts which include firstly, the specific requirements or employment requirements, and secondary, the general requirements
Specifically, some requirements are peculiar to only those aspiring to immigrate to Canada as a journalist.
However, the requirements for immigrating to Canada as a journalist include the following:
First of all, must have a university degree a college diploma in journalism or a related field such as communications is usually required
Additionally, for you to immigrate to Canada as a journalist you must be an experienced reporter who advances to editorial positions (print Media) and become a producer (broadcast Media).
Generally, there are some requirements for immigrating to Canada which is general to all the people that are expiring to immigrate to Canada for one job on the other
Consequently, to immigrate to Canada as a journalist also required general factors.
The general factors include:
- Partner’s skills
- Work experience
In general, language is one of the requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a journalist.
However, to Immigrate to Canada, you must provide language proficiency proof.
This is achieved through taking the language proficiency test or exam and presenting your score.
The following are the language test categories as established by the Canadian government:
- International English language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as Foreign language (TOEFL)
- Canadian English language proficiency index program
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- The Canadian test of English for scholars and trainees
- Test de connaissance du Français Canada (TCF)
Normally, age is another element required to Immigrate to Canada as a journalist.
However, It is demanded that before you get employed in Canada that you must be up to the legal age which is 18 years and above.
Of Course, educational qualification is included in the general Requirements for people Immigrating to Canada as a journalist
Furthermore, to Immigrate to Canada as a journalist, you must have completed your Secondary school education or have a diploma in high school or college.
Interestingly, your partner’s skills are also necessary to boost your competitive ranking system(CRS) score
Moreover, your partner’s skills also matter to your immigration success.
In addition, your partner’s age, education, and other qualifications are needed.
Undoubtedly, to immigrate to Canada as a journalist you will need to prove that you will adapt to Canadian weather and working conditions.
In addition, as a journalist, you will have to adapt to the environment to succeed in your job as a journalist.
Unarguably, work experience is basically needed if you want to immigrate to Canada as a journalist.
Normally, you will prove your competency and expertise.
Consequently, if you don’t prove your competency you may not be able to get an opportunity to be employed.
Pathway programs for immigrating to Canada as a journalist
Hopefully, there are so many pathway programs to assist those who want to immigrate to Canada as a journalist.
However, this program has three options which include:
- Express entry program
- Provincial nominee program
- In-demand occupations
- Job offers
Express entry program
Express entry program is a common pathway to Immigrating to Canada as a machine fitter.
However, you must choose the correct option among the option in the express entry program which includes:
- Federal Skilled Worker program
- Federal Skilled trades program and
- Canada experience class
Definitely, the Express Entry program is the most common pathway to Immigrate to Canada as a journalist.
In order to Immigrate to Canada through the Express Entry program, you must be able to choose the best option that matches your occupation.
Considerably, your request must be granted by IRCC once you meet up with the requirements
Additionally, the Express Entry program is the fastest way to Immigrate to Canada as a journalist because it doesn’t take much time to process.
Provinces Nominee programs
Generally, a Nominee program is an organized program arranged by the Provincial governments
Consequently, all these Provinces have their qualification for Immigrants who wish to work in their territory.
However, if you Immigrate to Canada through the Provincial nominee program, you will live and work in that Province
Hopefully, you can easily apply for a permanent residency through the Provincial nominee programs(PNPs).
Below are the examples of provincial nominee programs:
- Alberta immigration nominee program (AINP)
- British Columbia Provincial nominee program (MPNP)
- New Brunswick Provincial nominee program(NBPNP)
- New founded Labrador provincial nominee program (NLNP)
- Northwest Territories nominee program (NTNP)
- Nova Scotia Provincial nominee program (NSNP)
- Ontario Provincial nominee program (OINP)
- Prince Edward Island provincial nominee program (PEI PNP)
- Yukon nominee program (YNP)
- Saskatchewan immigration nominee program (SINP)
Similarly, you can as well Immigrate to Canada as a journalist through the National occupational classification (NOC) code list
However, if you find your job in the NOC code of in-demand jobs in Canada, you can apply directly to Immigrate to Canada as a journalist.
Additionally, you can Immigrate to Canada as a journalist because journalist is in the list of jobs in-demand in Canada.Immigrate to Canada as an Economic Policy Manager
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a Journalist
Obviously,there are steps to follow when you make up your mind to Immigrate to Canada as a Journalist.
Firstly, to immigrate to Canada as a journalist, you will open an Express entry profile.
Generally, if you want to open this account, you will visit the IRCC official website to assist you
Additionally, you will not spend any money for the account opening.
Secondly: you will choose a program for you to immigrate to Canada as a journalist.
Considerably, you must choose a program that goes online with your occupation.
Thirdly, get a job offer from a Canadian employer if you want to immigrate to Canada as a journalist.
In other words, your employer has a lot of role to play for you to immigrate to Canada successfully as a journalist.
However, employers will seek permission from the labour market impact Assessment (LMIA).
Also, your employer must prove to them that no employee in Canada is good enough in that particular role.
Fourthly, you will get an invitation to apply, once more, for you to immigrate to Canada as a journalist you must succeed from your requirements.
Consequently, this application must be submitted within 60 days.
Furthermore, you will submit the application with other supporting documents.
Luckily, if you get the notification to apply, you should endeavor to submit as soon as possible to have more chances of being selected.
Generally, you will attach other documents such as identity card,work experience proof, language proficiency test score and others.
Consequently,the application letter may cost only CAD$150.
Finally, apply and get your work permit as the last step to Immigrate to Canada as a journalist.
Additionally,you can get your work permit as long as you land in Canada port of entry.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average salary of a journalist in Canada?
Interestingly, the average journalist salary in Canada is$39,000 per year or rather, $20 per hour.
Additionally, entry level positions may start at $31,600 per year, whereas,most senior workers close to $55,513 per year
In summary, if you are a journalist and have been dreaming to work in Canada, you can follow this guide to Immigrate to Canada as a journalist.