A medical laboratory technologist is a very important member of the healthcare or medical profession, their jobs enable accurate diagnoses and prescriptive treatment based upon revealed test results.
Therefore, to immigrate to Canada as a medical laboratory technologist means to fill an important niche, where your work is highly significant.
In addition to having an important job, you also get massive benefits for living in Canada and becoming a permanent resident.
Thus, the possibilities of how much you can gain as a medical laboratory technologist in Canada is without say impressive.
In addition, as a member of the Canadian community you get to live a standard way of life, enjoy the best of work experience, education, health care, social amenities, a relatively stable economy and political stability, where you are free to become whatever you want to be.
In this article
- Who is a Medical Laboratory Technologist?
- Duties and responsibilities of a Medical Laboratory Technologist in Canada
- Job description of medical laboratory technologist in Canada
- Example of roles to which Medical Laboratory Technologists are employed
- Job roles excluded from the Medical Laboratory Technologist NOC category
- Immigrate to Canada as a Medical laboratory technologist
- Qualification Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a Medical Laboratory Technologist
- General Requirements to Immigrate to Canada
- Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada
- Pathways to Immigrate to Canada as a Medical Laboratory Technologist
- Steps to Immigrate to Canada as a Medical Laboratory Technologist
- What can I earn by immigrating to Canada as a Medical laboratory technologist?
- Frequently Asked Question
Who is a Medical Laboratory Technologist?
A medical laboratory scientist/technologist (MLS) and its various synonyms like clinical laboratory scientist (CLS) or medical technologist (MT) are health professionals who performs diagnostic testing of blood and body fluids in medical laboratories.
Therefore, the scope of a medical laboratory scientist’s work begins with receiving of patient or client specimens and ends with the delivery of test results to physicians and other healthcare specialists.
Similarly, the utility of clinical diagnostic testing relies solely on the validity of test methodology. Therefore, much of the work done by medical laboratory technologists involves ensuring the quality of specimen, interpreting test results, data-logging, performing calibration, testing control products, maintenance, validation, and troubleshooting of instrumentation, in addition to performing statistical analyses to verify the accuracy and repeatability of testing.
Duties and responsibilities of a Medical Laboratory Technologist in Canada
- The medical laboratory technologist performs some or all of the following duties:
- Responsible to set up, operate and maintain laboratory equipment
- Examine and interpret chemical analyses of blood, urine, and cerebrospinal fluid, in addition to other body fluids
- Study blood cells and tissues to determine their relation to various physiological and pathological conditions.
- Select tissue sections for microscopic examinations to demonstrate special cellular tissue elements or other characteristics.
- For transfusion purposes, perform and interpret blood group, type and compatibility tests.
- Follow already established processes for the analysis of specimens and for medical laboratory experiments.
- Carry out quality control assessment of testing techniques
- Supervise and groom other medical laboratory technical staff, students and helpers.
- Can help out with pathologists during autopsies.
In addition, medical laboratory technologists may specialize in discipline like clinical chemistry, clinical microbiology, histotechnology, hematology, immunohematology, cytotechnology and cytogenetics.
Job description of medical laboratory technologist in Canada
Medical laboratory technologists carry out medical laboratory tests, experiments and analyses during the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
Consequently, medical laboratory technologists find employment in medical laboratory departments in hospitals, blood banks, research facilities, community and private clinics as well as post-secondary educational institutions.
Example of roles to which Medical Laboratory Technologists are employed
In Canada, medical laboratory technologists can be employed under many job roles and titles. However, if you qualify under the code of medical laboratory technologist you may find employment or work as any of these job titles or roles descriptions as listed below:
- Advanced registered technologist – medical laboratory
- Anatomical pathology technologist
- Anatomical pathology technologist – anatomical pathology
- Autopsy technologist – medical laboratory
- Biochemistry technologist – medical laboratory
- Blood bank technologist
- Charge technologist – medical laboratory
- Clinical immunology technologist
- Clinical laboratory technologist
- Combined laboratory and x-ray technologist
- Cytogenetics technologist – medical laboratory
- Cytology technologist
- Cytotechnologist – medical laboratory
- Electron microscopy technologist – medical laboratory
- Hematology technologist – medical laboratory
- Histology technologist
- Histology technologist – medical laboratory
- Histopathology technologist
- Histo-technology – medical laboratory
- Immunohematology technologist
- Immunohematology technologist – medical laboratory
- Immunology technologist – medical laboratory
- In-charge technologist – autopsy services
- Clinical laboratory supervisor
- Medical laboratory technical supervisor
- Laboratory technologist – anatomical pathology
- Clinical technologist
- Medical technologist – medical laboratory
- Technologists supervisor
- Microbiology technologist – medical laboratory
- Registered medical technologist
- Registered technologist – medical
- Serology technologist
- Tissue technologist – medical laboratory
Job roles excluded from the Medical Laboratory Technologist NOC category
- Life science technologists in non-medical laboratories
- Medical laboratory technicians and pathologists’ assistants
- Science technologists in non-medical laboratories
Immigrate to Canada as a Medical laboratory technologist
In-demand occupations on the Canadian NOC Lists are assigned a code, thus, the code to immigrate to Canada as a Medical laboratory technologist is 3211.
Likewise, in the National Occupation Code classification the code for Medical laboratory technologists immigrating to Canada indicated that Medical laboratory technologists conduct medical laboratory tests, experiments and analyses to assist in the diagnosis treatment and prevention of disease.
Qualification Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a Medical Laboratory Technologist
- You must have obtained a 2 or 3 years college program in medical laboratory technology.
- Undergone a period of supervised practical training in the field.
- Registration with a regulatory body is needed in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.
- Employers require you to be certified by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science.
General Requirements to Immigrate to Canada
A high score in the following under listed immigration criteria gives you a good CRS Points. Thus, by calculating your Canada Immigration points for the Express Entry pool using the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System, your Canadian immigration process can have a good chance of pulling through:
- Your age
- Academic Qualifications
- English language proficiency
- French language proficiency
- Your spouse’s skills/qualification
- Work experience
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada
- It is important that you register with a regulatory body in provinces like Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.
- Obtain a certification by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science.
Pathways to Immigrate to Canada as a Medical Laboratory Technologist
There are numerous ways in which you can immigrate to Canada as a Medical Laboratory Technologist. These include;
- Directly through Express Entry
- Immigration through a Job Offer
- Through a Provincial Nomination
Medical laboratory technologists qualify to apply for Canada Immigration under several Canadian immigration pathways, this is as a result, of the ever increasing demand for qualified medical laboratory technologist in the provinces of Canada.
Therefore, the following are a number of options in which you can immigrate to Canada as a medical laboratory technologist:
- Express Entry
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Permanent Residency Visa
Steps to Immigrate to Canada as a Medical Laboratory Technologist
Upon satisfying both the occupational and academic criteria to immigrate to Canada as a Medical laboratory technologist the next thing is to follow the step by step guide to make your immigration to Canada a possibility.
Firstly, create the best Express Entry profile possible by meeting all the required benchmarks of the Canadian Immigration.
In addition, you should undergo a free online visa assessment to check your chances of meeting the requirements for a Canadian immigration and whether you have the necessary points to immigrate to Canada as a medical laboratory technologist.
Secondly, register in the Express Entry pool and then wait for an Invitation to Apply. When you receive an Invitation to apply (ITA) from the Canadian Immigration after you qualify in the Express Entry application, you only have 60 days to formally send in your application.
Thirdly, make sure all your credentials check out to be good, likewise, verify you qualifications using the standard testing, education equivalence certificates assessment and skilled worker assessments, in addition to your language proficiency test.
Fourthly, after your invitation to apply for Canadian Visa, ensure to submit your best application since your express entry profile is only valid for one year.
Therefore, make sure to meet all the necessary requirements and benchmarks, so you do not miss your opportunity to be in Canada as a qualified medical laboratory technologist.
Fifthly, ensure you have all your academic qualifications and certificates assessed by the relevant and approved ECA as mandated by the Canadian immigration.
Finally, you must clear all background checks, security and medicals before your Permanent Residency Visas are formally granted.
What can I earn by immigrating to Canada as a Medical laboratory technologist?
- An entry-level Medical laboratory technologist having less than 5 years of work experience will expect to earn a median salary of about C$68,400 per year.
- Meanwhile, a Medical laboratory technologist of mid-level work experience can earn an average overall salary of C$108,300 per year.
- Similarly, an experienced Medical laboratory technologist of 10 – 20 years of work experience will earn an average total salary of C$166,877 per year.
- Likewise, a Medical laboratory technologist of late-career work experience can earn an average total salary of C$299,000 per year.
- Nevertheless, these averages often are different between sectors and additionally by geographical locations. Therefore, these stats should be used purely as an indicative guide.
- Saskatoon + 30%
- Calgary + 29%
- Toronto + 24%
- Montréal + 18%
- Vancouver + 8%
- Victoria + 8%
- Lethbridge + 5%
- Edmonton + 2%
Frequently Asked Question
If I immigrate to Canada as a medical laboratory technologist and secure a Permanent Residency what does it benefit my family and I?
- You get to live and work in Canada
- Enter and leave Canada without restriction
- Study in any Canadian institution of choice
- Get access to Canadian world-class healthcare
- Access to good social benefits
- Become a citizen and dual nationality after four years
- Solid protection under Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
To conclude, there are lots of benefits you and your dependents stand to enjoy, if you make it to Canada as a medical laboratory technologist, aside from enjoying a balance work-life, you get access to the best of facilities you can find anywhere in the world, that will make your job absolutely enjoyable.