Currently, many foreigners immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant. Most of them make use of express entry programs while some use job offers.
Therefore, as a result of the different immigration options to Canada, being a personal assistant in Canada has never been easier.
Whereas, the work of a personal assistant in Canada is very important to both public and private employers.
Hence, the demand for people that will render services of personal assistants increases on a daily basis. This has made it an open opportunity for foreigners to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant.
Moreover, this occupation gives one a good income in Canada and through it, one can get a permanent Canadian residence permit.
So, if this has been your dream, it is now due to take a bold step towards immigrating to Canada as a personal assistant.
Nevertheless, it will still not be a dream that comes true, if you haven’t known the necessary requirements, steps and pathways with which you can immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant.
For this purpose, this article will surely guide you through as regards what personal assistants do in Canada, other titles through which you can use to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant and other necessary requirements, steps and pathways to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant.
Table of Contents
- What does a personal assistant do in Canada?
- Examples of personal assistant under NOC 1241
- Main duties of a personal assistant in Canada
- Employment requirements to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant
- Frequently Asked Questions
What does a personal assistant do in Canada?
Foreigners immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant which is also called administrative assistants. Their work in Canada is to perform a variety of administrative duties in support of managerial and professional employers.
Moreover, they are employed throughout the private and public sectors.
Examples of personal assistant under NOC 1241
There are some examples of personal assistant work titles under NOC 1241 for those who immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant. Those titles are:
- Administrative assistant – office
- Secretary (except legal and medical)
- Administrative secretary
- Appointment secretary
- Church secretary
- Administrative assistant
- Contracts secretary
- Executive secretary (except legal and medical)
- Finance secretary
- Human resources secretary
- Loans and grants administrative assistant
- Office administrative assistant
- Personal secretary
- Private secretary
- Recording secretary
- Sales secretary
- School secretary
- Secretary, school
- Taxation service secretary
- Secretary, church
- Technical secretary
This job is included in personal assistant job though not under the Canadian NOC code 1241
Job Exclusions from personal assistant
Some jobs are related to personal assistant jobs but are excluded from the personal assistant work. Therefore, if you immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant, you don’t go for the following jobs below:
- Court reporters, medical transcriptionists and related occupations (See 1251 Court reporters, medical transcriptionists and related occupations)
- Executive assistants (See 1222 Executive assistants)
- Legal administrative assistants (See 1242 Legal administrative assistants)
- Medical administrative assistants (See 1243 Medical administrative assistants)
- Office managers (See 1221 Administrative officers)
Main duties of a personal assistant in Canada
When you immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant, you are going to do any of the following works below as your main work
- Prepare, key in, edit and proofread correspondence, invoices, presentations, brochures, publications, reports and related material from machine dictation and handwritten copy
- Open and distribute incoming regular and electronic mail and other material and co-ordinate the flow of information internally and with other departments and organizations
- Schedule and confirm appointments and meetings of employer
- Order office supplies and maintain inventory
- Answer telephone and electronic enquiries and relay telephone calls and messages
- Set up and maintain manual and computerized information filing systems
- Determine and establish office procedures
- Greet visitors, ascertain nature of business and direct visitors to employer or appropriate person
- May compile data, statistics and other information to support research activities
- Record and prepare minutes of meetings
- May supervise and train office staff in procedures and in use of current software
- Arrange travel schedules and make reservations
- May organize conferences
Employment requirements to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant
If you want to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant or as a foreign worker, you will have to meet two categories of requirements which are general and specific requirements.
General requirements to work in Canada
Every immigrant who wants to work in Canada must meet these general requirements in order to immigrate to Canada. Therefore, general requirements to immigrate to Canada are:
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Arranged employment
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
The proof of your language proficiency is required therefore, language is one of the requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant.
Moreover, you can take any of the language proficiency tests below in order to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant.
- International English language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as Foreign language (TOEFL)
- Canadian English language proficiency index program
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- The Canadian test of English for scholars and trainees
- Test de connaissance du Français Canada (TCF).
You should be up to 18 years before you can immigrate to Canada to work. So if you have not reached the Canadian working age, you cannot work in Canada. Therefore, the working age in Canada is 18 years.
Another requirement is education requirements. For you to work in Canada, you must at least have a high school certificate or its equivalent in order to qualify as a Canadian worker.
#4: Arranged employment
If you can arrange employment with a Canadian employer, it becomes easy for you to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant. However, your employer must get a certification from the Labour Market Impact Assessment. In addition to that, you must also be the best candidate for the job.
Your adaptability to the Canadian weather can also help you while immigrating to work in Canada as a personal assistant. Apart from that, you must be able to adapt to the demands of the job. Therefore, before you can move to Canada to work, you must have a medical checkup to determine your fitness.
#6: Work experience
You need work experience as it is basically needed if you want to immigrate to Canada to work. Moreover, if you don’t prove your competency, you may not be able to do the work efficiently hence will not get an opportunity to be employed.
#7: Your partner’s skills
Your partner’s skills are also necessary to boost your comprehensive ranking system(CRS) score. Moreover, your partner’s skills also matter to your immigration success.
Therefore, your partner’s age, education, and other qualifications are needed to qualify you.
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant
Irrespective of the general requirements, there are specific requirements you must meet to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant. Therefore, you must meet these requirements below:
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Previous clerical experience is required
- Completion of a one- or two-year college or other program for administrative assistants or secretaries
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant
There are many pathway programs you can use to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant. This pathways have five options which are:
- Express entry program
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- In-Demand occupations
- Job offer
- Quebec Experience Class
1: Express entry
This program is the most common and easiest pathway to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant. Moreover, the express entry program has three other programs under it. And each of these three programs under it has requirements.
However, you must meet the requirements for whichever program you choose among the three programs available in this entry.
Therefore, before you select any program, check to know if you meet the program requirements. Meanwhile, the three programs under the express entry system are:
- Federal skilled trades program
- Canada experience class
- Federal skilled worker program
2: Provincial Nominee Program
If you do not want to use the express entry, you can use the PNP. This is equivalent to the express entry. However, this program is managed by the provincial governments. Therefore, if you meet the requirements for this program, you can apply for it. However, you must be ready to live and work in the province that nominates you. In addition to that, you must be ready to adapt to the weather and work conditions of the province.
3: Job offer
Immigrating to Canada as a personal assistant may not be easy but with a valid job offer, you can move to Canada easily. However, before you can use this pathway, there are certain conditions your employer must fulfill.
First of all, the Canadian employer must get a clearance from the LMIA. Secondly, the employer must prove that you are the best candidate for the job. In addition, you must meet all the requirements for the job.
4: In-demand jobs
If a personal assistant is an in-demand job in Canada. It is easy to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant by using an in-demand program.
5: Quebec Experience Class
You can use this program to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant if you wish to settle in Quebec. Therefore, when you plan to live and be working in Quebec, then, this program is for you.
However, there are specific requirements you must meet before using this program. For instance, you must prove your proficiency in French language. Secondly, you must meet the requirements for working in Quebec. Then, you must be able to adapt to the weather conditions of Quebec.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant
Once you know the steps required to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant, it would be easy for you. Therefore, below are the steps to guide you on how you can begin processing to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant
- The first step is to check your eligibility for Canada’s express entry.
- Secondly, you need to create an express entry profile account and submit an express entry required documents in your profile online.
- Thirdly, you are required to apply for Canada’s working visa permit as soon as you get an Invitation to Apply (ITA).
- Then you must send your application within sixty days.
- Thereafter, you wait until your application is approved or declined. This often takes about six months.
- If your application gets approval, you can start preparing to immigrate to Canada.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average salary of a personal assistant in Canada?
The average personal assistant salary in Canada is $37,275 per year or $19.12 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $31,200 per year,
How much does the application fee cost?
Your application fee cost is $150
Must I use only a job offer to immigrate to Canada?
No. There are other entry options you can use outside job offers to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant.
What is the processing time for a work visa to enter Canada?
The processing time for a Canadian work visa is a minimum of 3 months.
You have nothing to regret if you immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant. Therefore, the earlier you started preparing to immigrate to Canada as a personal assistant the better.