The oil industry in Canada is a very vibrant sector full of possibilities and employment opportunities; the sector is always in need of petroleum engineers as the 5th largest oil producing country in the world.
Therefore, if you wish to immigrate to Canada as a petroleum engineer, you are making a right decision, and this is a good time to do so, because the government of Canada is making it possible for as much as one million skilled immigrants to find their way to Canada in the next five years.
Immigrating to Canada has a lot of benefits, which are sure to interest you and make you feel accomplished to live in Canada and become a part of the awesome communities from all over the world represented in Canada.
In addition, you get the chance to enjoy world class facilities, education, healthcare, social amenities, welfare programmes, work – life balance, and ultimately to become permanent resident or citizen.
In this article
- Who is a Petroleum Engineer?
- Responsibilities and Duties to undertake to Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer
- Job Description of Petroleum Engineers
- Examples of Petroleum Engineering Roles and Titles in Canada
- Minimum Qualifications and Employment Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer
- Additional Information
- General Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer
- Specific Employment Requirement to Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer
- Pathways to Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer
- What Benefits do I and My Family Stand to Gain if I immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer?
- Steps to Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer
- Frequently Asked Question
Who is a Petroleum Engineer?
Petroleum engineers are oil engineering professionals who carry out the exploration of oil and gas for the country’s energy needs.
Therefore, petroleum engineers design and develop methodologies for extracting oil and gas from deposits below the Earth’s surface. In addition, they also find new ways to extract oil and gas from older wells.
Responsibilities and Duties to undertake to Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer
- Generally, Petroleum Engineers moving to Canada must be able to demonstrate knowledge or experience and carry out the following under listed responsibilities:
- Carry out feasibility assessment for developing new oil and gas fields.
- In charge of directing and monitoring oil and gas drilling operations.
- Create drilling programs, select sites and determine the drilling fluids, bit selection, drill stem testing procedures as well as equipment.
- Direct and monitor the completion and evaluation of wells, in addition to well testing and well surveys.
- Must be able to design and select artificial lift machinery, well and surface production equipment and systems, likewise specify programs for corrosion control and oil or gas treatment.
- Petroleum engineers develop specifications for and monitor and supervise well modification and stimulation programs to maximize oil and gas recovery
- They analyze reservoir rock and fluid stats to design optimum recovery methods and to predict reservoir performance and reserves
- They monitor and project oil and gas reservoir performance and recommend oil recovery technique that extends the economic life of wells.
- Create, build and monitor the installation, maintenance and operation of subsea well-head and production equipment.
Job Description of Petroleum Engineers
To carry out the exploration, development and extraction of oil and gas deposits; in addition to planning, design, develop and supervise projects for drilling, completion, testing and re-working of oil and gas wells.
Petroleum engineers find employment in petroleum producing companies, consulting companies, well logging or testing companies, government oil parastatals, research institutes and educational institutions.
Examples of Petroleum Engineering Roles and Titles in Canada
Petroleum Engineers, who wants to move to Canada under this NOC category 2145 can be employed under any of the following work titles:
- Chief petroleum engineer
- Drilling and recovery chief engineer
- Drilling and recovery petroleum engineer
- Exploitation engineer – oil and gas
- Exploitation engineer – petroleum
- Mud engineer
- Mud engineer – petroleum drilling
- Natural gas engineer
- Offshore drilling engineer
- Offshore drilling rig subsea equipment engineer
- Oil and gas drilling engineer
- Production engineer
- Oil well logging engineer
- Petroleum engineer
- Petroleum production engineer
- Reservoir engineer
- Well completion engineer
- Subsea engineer
- Well logging engineer
All of these titles relative to the Petroleum Engineer are eligible to apply under this specific National Occupation Code category of 7251.
- Chemical engineers
- Contractors and supervisors, oil and gas drilling and services Engineering managers
- Geological engineers
- Geoscientists and oceanographers
Minimum Qualifications and Employment Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer
- You must possess a bachelor’s degree in petroleum engineering or in a related engineering discipline.
- Master’s degree or doctorate in a related engineering discipline is an added advantage.
- It is mandatory that you obtain a license from a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers as a requirement for the approval of engineering drawings and reports and likewise, to practice as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.).
- As an engineer, you are qualified to register after you graduate from an accredited academic program, in addition to having three or four years of supervised work experience in an engineering job and also, passing a professional practice examination.
- In the industry there is movement between petroleum engineering specializations, especially at the less senior levels.
- To be a supervisor and or attain to senior positions in this industry, it requires experience.
- Petroleum Engineers are often employed in multidisciplinary environments and acquire knowledge and skills through work experience that allow them to practice in associated areas of science, engineering, sales, marketing or management.
General Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer
Begin your immigration procedure by amassing your Canada immigration points for the Express Entry pool through the Canadian Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).
The following immigration criteria award you with important CRS Points:
- Educational Qualifications
- English language proficiency
- French language proficiency
- Partner’s skills/qualification
- Work experience
Specific Employment Requirement to Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer
- It is mandatory that you obtain a license from a provincial or territorial association of professional engineers as a requirement for the approval of engineering drawings and reports and likewise, to practice as a Professional Engineer (P. Eng.). In addition to passing a professional practice examination.
- In getting your Petroleum Engineering skills, experience and qualifications verified is the Skills and Qualification Assessment which serves two purposes.
- Purpose one: With a positive skills assessment you are awarded the requisite points on both the Express Entry CRS and Federal Skilled Trades application.
- Purpose two: Your skills assessment rewards will also double as your Canada Equivalent Qualification, this is used for your relevant professional registrations thus having your Petroleum Engineering skills verified means that you’ll be qualified to work as a Petroleum Engineer in Canada from day one.
Pathways to Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer
Jobs on the Canada NOC list are classified as ‘in demand’ therefore, Petroleum Engineer code which is 2145 is on the list and has been so for many years providing lots of opportunities across Canada.
As a qualified new and highly skilled worker in Canada, you can choose to work full time from day one, as a direct employee, a contractor or a self-employed. Additionally, Petroleum Engineering jobs in Canada often pay better than other countries, likewise, Canadian employment law enforces the work-life balance.
In addition, Petroleum Engineers in Canada are highly unionized, this has been instrumental in championing better pay and conditions for petroleum engineers across Canada.
Therefore, as an immigrant who wants to move to Canada, this can be achieved in several ways.
However, landing a job is a very crucial criterion to increasing your chances in the Express Entry process, nevertheless, as a petroleum engineer who wants to work in the oil and gas industry, there are other options which you can choose from to help you secure a Canada immigration Visa.
Consequently, petroleum engineers in the oil and gas industry are eligible to apply for Canada immigration under several Canadian immigration programs, this is as a result of their demand across Canada. Furthermore, petroleum engineers in the oil and gas industry are listed in the target NOC list.
Therefore, the following are a number of options by which you can immigrate to Canada as a petroleum engineer:
- Express Entry
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Permanent Residency Visa
What Benefits do I and My Family Stand to Gain if I immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer?
By becoming a permanent resident in Canada you stand the chance of benefiting in the following ways:
- Enjoy the goodness of living and working in Canada
- Entering and exit of Canada without restriction
- Study in prestigious Canadian schools
- Access to quality Healthcare
- Access to social benefits
- Citizenship and Dual Nationality after only four years
- Security and protection under the Canadian law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Steps to Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer
You get the necessary CRS points through these criteria (age, qualification, work experience, etc.), adding to the overall Immigration Points score which must be equal to or exceed a total sum of 67.
- Firstly, undertake a free online visa assessment to check your eligibility to meet the requirements for a Canadian immigration and whether you have the necessary points to immigrate to Canada as a petroleum engineer from both an Express Entry and immigration point of view.
- Secondly, after you receive an Invitation to apply (ITA) from Canadian Immigration, you have only 60 days to formally send your application.
- Thirdly, ensure you verify your qualifications through the standard testing, education equivalence certificates assessment and skilled worker assessments.
- Fourthly, upon invitation to apply for Canadian Visa, submit your best application by meeting all the necessary requirements, since your express entry profile is only valid for one year.
- Lastly, ensure you have all your qualifications and certificates assessed by the relevant and approved ECA as expected by the Canadian immigration.
Frequently Asked Question
Can I Immigrate to Canada as a Petroleum Engineer without a Job Offer?
Absolutely yes, providing you have obtained the necessary minimum total CRS score on your Express Entry application to the sum of the 67 immigration point benchmark for your Canada Federal Skilled Worker Visa.
Additionally, landing a job offer will surely award you with added CRS score of 200 points; therefore, it is necessary that you start your job searching process as soon as possible.
In Canada petroleum engineers are in high demand, thus, this gives you an opportunity to obtain a Canadian Permanent Residency Visa with or without a job offer. Being a petroleum engineer with the required competency to work in Canada, you therefore qualify to immigrate to Canada.