Increase in movie industries, entertainment and mass media have called for many professionals to apply to immigrate to Canada as a Producer, Director or Choreographer. Therefore, to fill multiple vacancies in different levels of entertainment industries and mass media in Canada have made people from different parts of the world immigrate to Canada as a media producers, directors in entertainment, supervisor of choreographers and other professional artists.
Moreover, producers from all over the world are eligible to use express entry for Canada residency provided they have the right skills, experience and qualifications in their home country.
Producer, Director or Choreographer considering moving to Canada to work under the NOC 5131, may be employed under different work titles like film production companies, radio and television stations, video game companies, broadcast departments, advertising companies, sound recording studios, record production companies and dance companies. Yet, they can also be self-employed.
Easy enough, with just a university degree (bachelors, masters or doctorate) and basic work experience, you can use different Canadian pathway programs to immigrate to Canada as a producer. Aside from that, this occupation earns you an income that can make you live comfortably in Canada.
However, you can’t successfully immigrate to Canada as a producer if you don’t know the necessary procedure and basic requirements to immigrate to Canada as a producer. Hence, this article has good information about what you need to know in order to immigrate to Canada as a producer effortlessly.
In this article
- What do Producers do in Canada?
- Main duties of a producer in Canada
- Other duties of entertainment producers include:
- Employment requirements to immigrate to Canada as a producer
- General requirements to work in Canada
- Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a producer
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a producer
- 1: Express entry
- 2: Provincial Nominee Program
- 3: Job offer
- 4: In-demand jobs
- 5: Quebec Experience Class
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as a producer
- Frequently asked questions FAQs about immigrating to Canada as a producer
What do Producers do in Canada?
Foreigners who immigrate to Canada as a Producer, Director, Choreographer and professionals in related occupations oversee and control the technical and artistic aspects of film, television, video game, radio, dance and theatre productions.
Moreover, they are employed by film production companies, radio and television stations, video game companies, broadcast departments, advertising companies, sound recording studios, record production companies and dance companies. They may also be self-employed.
There are some examples of producer titles under NOC 5131 for those who immigrate to Canada as a producer. Those titles are:
- Art director – motion pictures broadcasting and performing arts
- Artistic director – motion picture
- Broadcasting producer
- Assistant director – motion pictures broadcasting and performing arts
- Audiovisual (AV) producer
- Broadcasting director
- Assistant director
- Broadcasting sports director
- Casting director
- Director – motion pictures broadcasting and performing arts
- Film producer
- Director of photography
- Film director
- Director – motion picture
- Film editor
- Motion picture director
- Floor director – performing arts
- Motion picture production director
- Movie director
- Movie producer
- Multimedia audio producer
- Performing arts artistic director
- Producer – performing arts
- Motion picture producer
- Production designer – motion pictures broadcasting and performing arts
- Radio director
- Production director – motion picture
- Program director – broadcasting
- Traffic clerk – broadcasting
- Record producer
- Recording director
- Radio producer
- Traffic control clerk
Job Exclusions from producer
Some jobs are related to producer jobs but are excluded from the producer work. Therefore, if you immigrate to Canada as a producer, you don’t go for the following jobs below:
- Managers – publishing, motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts (See 0512 Managers – publishing, motion pictures, broadcasting and performing arts.)
- Photographers, graphic arts technicians and technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts (See 522 Photographers, graphic arts technicians and technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting and the performing arts.
Main duties of a producer in Canada
When you immigrate to Canada as a producer, you are going to do any of the following works below as your main duty
The first duties are film, radio, television and video game producing – Here they plan, organize and control the various stages and scheduling involved in the production of presentations, motion pictures, television shows and radio programs; engage directors and other production personnel and supervise all technical personnel, and determine the treatment, scope and scheduling of production; maintain production archives, negotiate royalties and may plan and control the budget pertaining to a particular production.
Secondly they act as directors – Interpret scripts and direct the mise-en-scène; select and direct the actors, extras and technical crew; advise the cast and crew on the interpretation and delivery of the performance; direct rehearsals, filmings, broadcasts and performances; and confer with crew and specialists throughout production and post-production to achieve desired presentation.
Thirdly they act as choreographers – Create dances for film, theatre and television performances that convey stories, ideas and moods, and direct rehearsals for dancers to achieve desired interpretation.
Other duties of entertainment producers include:
They do the work of art directors – plan, organize and direct the artistic aspects of motion pictures, video games, stage productions and television shows by overseeing the design of sets, costumes, furnishings and props to create portrayals of period and setting.
Secondly they are film editors – Edit motion picture film and arrange film segments into sequences to achieve continuity and desired dramatic, comedic and thematic effects.
They are Record producers – Plan and coordinate the production of musical recordings, direct musicians and singers during rehearsals and recordings and manage technicians involved in duplicating, dubbing and mastering of recordings.
Finally they are Directors of photography – Coordinate and direct the photography of motion pictures, supervise camera operators and other crews and determine lighting, lenses, camera angles, backgrounds and other elements to achieve desired visual effect.
Employment requirements to immigrate to Canada as a producer
There are certain requirements to meet up with if you want to immigrate to Canada as a producer or as a foreign worker. These requirements are in two categories of general and specific requirements. Therefore, the general requirements every immigrant to Canada must meet up with are:
General requirements to work in Canada
Every immigrant who wants to work in Canada must meet these general requirements in order to immigrate to Canada. Therefore, general requirements to immigrate to Canada are:
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Arranged employment
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
The proof of your language proficiency is required therefore, language is one of the requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a producer. Moreover, you can take any of the language proficiency tests below in order to immigrate to Canada as a producer.
- International English language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as Foreign language (TOEFL)
- Canadian English language proficiency index program
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- The Canadian test of English for scholars and trainees
- Test de connaissance du Français Canada (TCF).
You should be up to 18 years before you can immigrate to Canada as a producer. So if you have not reached the Canadian working age, you cannot work in Canada. Therefore, the working age in Canada is 18 years.
Another requirement is education requirements. For you to work in Canada, you must at least have a high school certificate or its equivalent in order to qualify as a Canadian worker.
#4: Arranged employment
If you can arrange employment with a Canadian employer, it becomes easy for you to immigrate to Canada as a producer. However, your employer must get a certification from the Labour Market Impact Assessment. In addition to that, you must also be the best candidate for the job.
Your adaptability to the Canadian weather can also help you while immigrating to work in Canada as a producer. Apart from that, you must be able to adapt to the demands of the job. Therefore, before you can move to Canada as a producer, you must have a medical checkup to determine your fitness.
#6: Work experience
You need work experience as it is basically needed if you want to immigrate to Canada as a producer. Moreover, if you don’t prove your competency, you may not be able to do the work efficiently hence will not get an opportunity to be employed.
#7: Your partner’s skills
Your partner’s skills are also necessary to boost your comprehensive ranking system(CRS) score. Moreover, your partner’s skills also matter to your immigration success. Therefore, your partner’s age, education, and other qualifications are needed to qualify you.
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a producer
Despite the general requirements, there are specific requirements you must meet to immigrate to Canada as a producer. Therefore, you must meet this requirement below:
As Producers, directors and film editors, you will have the following:
- A university degree or college diploma in the performing arts, broadcasting, journalism, business administration, theatre production or film studies
- Experience in a technical or production occupation in motion pictures, broadcasting or theatre are usually required.
As a producer, Choreographers, you will have the following:
- A university degree or college diploma in dance, or a period of study at a school of dance
- Extensive training with a dance company is usually required.
As a Record producers, you will have:
- A university degree or college diploma in music or the recording arts
- Experience in a technical or production occupation in the recording arts are usually required.
As a producer, Directors of photography:
- A university degree or college diploma in film studies or cinematography
- Experience in camera operation or another technical occupation in video or motion picture production are usually required.
- Demonstrated creative ability is required for all occupations in this unit group.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a producer
There are many pathway programs you can use to immigrate to Canada as a producer. This pathways have five options which are:
- Express entry program
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- In-Demand occupations
- Job offer
- Quebec Experience Class
1: Express entry
This program is the most common and easiest pathway to immigrate to Canada as a singer. Moreover, the express entry program has three other programs under it. And each of these three programs under it has requirements.
However, you must meet the requirements for whichever program you choose among the three programs available in this entry.
Therefore, before you select any program, check to know if you meet the program requirements. Meanwhile, the three programs under the express entry system are:
2: Provincial Nominee Program
If you do not want to use the express entry, you can use the PNP. This is equivalent to the express entry. However, this program is managed by the provincial governments. Therefore, if you meet the requirements for this program, you can apply for it. However, you must be ready to live and work in the province that nominates you. In addition to that, you must be ready to adapt to the weather and work conditions of the province.
3: Job offer
To immigrate to Canada as a producer may not be easy but with a valid job offer, you can move to Canada easily. However, before you can use this pathway, there are certain conditions your employer must fulfill.
First of all, the Canadian employer must get a clearance from the LMIA. Secondly, the employer must prove that you are the best candidate for the job. In addition, you must meet all the requirements for the job.
4: In-demand jobs
Producers and related work titles are in-demand jobs in Canada. It is easy to immigrate to Canada as a producer by using an in-demand program.
5: Quebec Experience Class
Also you can use this program to immigrate to Canada as a producer if you wish to settle in Quebec. Therefore, when you plan to live and be working in Quebec, then, this program is for you. However, there are specific requirements you must meet before using this program. For instance, you must prove your proficiency in French language. Secondly, you must meet the job requirements for working in Quebec. Then, you must be able to adapt to the weather conditions of Quebec.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a producer
When you know the steps required to immigrate to Canada as a producer it would be easy for you. Therefore, below are the steps to guide you on how you can begin processing to immigrate to Canada as a producer
- First of all, you are expected to check your eligibility for Canada’s express entry.
- Secondly, you need to create an express entry profile account and submit an express entry required documents in your profile online.
- Thirdly, you are required to apply for Canada’s working visa permit as soon as you get an Invitation to Apply (ITA).
- Then you must send your application within sixty days.
- Thereafter, you wait until your application is approved or declined. This often takes about six months.
- If your application gets approval, you can start preparing to immigrate to Canada as a producer.
Frequently asked questions FAQs about immigrating to Canada as a producer
Must I use only a job offer to immigrate to Canada as a producer?
No. There are other entry options you can use outside job offers to immigrate to Canada as a producer.
How much does the application fee cost?
Your application fee cost is $150.
What is the average salary of a producer in Canada?
The average producer salary in Canada is $66,261 per year or $33.98 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $49,934 per year.
What is the processing time for a work visa to enter Canada as a producer?
The processing time for a Canadian work visa is 6 months.
It can be seen as a dream come true if you follow the guide above to easily immigrate to Canada as a producer.