If you are intending to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist, this article has vital information you need to know about how to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist from your country.
Moreover, in Canada, psychologists are needed in various workplaces like in private clinics, correctional facilities, hospitals, mental health facilities, rehabilitation centres, community service organizations, businesses, schools and universities, and in government and private research agencies.
Therefore, you can use any of the Canadian pathway programs to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist.
Especially, Canadian express entry, provincial nominee programs and job offers. This is because psychology is an In-demand occupation in Canada.
However, the benefits of being a psychologist in Canada are very attractive. Not only that, this occupation is capable of earning you a permanent resident in Canada.
Table of Contents
- Work of a psychologist in Canada
- Examples of psychologist under NOC 4151
- Main duties of a psychologist in Canada
- Employment requirements to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist
- Frequently Asked Questions
Work of a psychologist in Canada
What you are going to do when you immigrate to Canada as a psychologist are: to assess and diagnose behavioural, emotional and cognitive disorders, counsel clients, provide therapy, conduct research and apply theory relating to behaviour and mental processes.
Moreover, psychologists help clients work toward the maintenance and enhancement of psychological, physical, intellectual, emotional, social and interpersonal functioning.
Therefore, they work in private practice or in clinics, correctional facilities, hospitals, mental health facilities, rehabilitation centres, community service organizations, businesses, schools and universities, and in government and private research agencies.
Examples of psychologist under NOC 4151
Psychologists can be employed in different job positions and titles according to the Canadian NOC 4151.
Therefore, if you are qualified to work in Canada as a Psychologist, you can hold any of the following positions or job titles:
- behavioural modification psychologist
- behavioural psychologist
- chartered psychologist
- behavioural Psychologist
- child psychologist
- clinical psychologist
- cognitive psychologist
- community psychologist
- counselling psychologist
- developmental psychologist
- educational psychologist
- experimental psychologist
- forensic psychologist
- human development psychologist
- industrial psychologist
- psychological associate
- intern psychologist
- organizational psychologist
- physiological psychologist
- sports psychologist
- vocational psychologist
- psychologist – counselling
- research psychologist
- school psychologist
- social psychologist
- registered psychologist
Job Exclusions from psychologist
These jobs below are similar to the jobs of a psychologist in Canada but are excluded from their jobs. Therefore, don’t go for them if you want to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist. The excluded jobs are:
- Family, marriage and other related counsellors (See 4153 Family, marriage and other related counsellors)
- Psychiatrists (See 3111 Specialist physicians)
- Psychology assistants (except university) (See 4164 Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers)
- Psychologists who teach at universities (See 4011 University professors and lecturers)
- Psychology research assistants (except university) (See 1254 Statistical officers and related research support occupations)
- Psychometrists (See 4169 Other professional occupations in social science, n.e.c.)
Main duties of a psychologist in Canada
Immigrants to Canada as psychologists can do one or more of the following duties as their main duties.
- Examine and assess behaviour, diagnose behavioural, emotional and cognitive disorders, counsel clients and provide therapy
- Help clients manage physical illness and disorders
- Counsel individuals and groups to achieve more effective personal, social and vocational development and adjustment, and offer mediation services
- Use standard psychological tests for assessment
- Plan intervention programs and conduct program evaluation
- Apply psychological theory and principles regarding behaviour and mental processes such as learning, language development, memory and perception to develop treatment programs
- Formulate hypotheses and experimental designs, review literature, conduct studies and publish research papers, educational texts and articles
- Deliver presentations at conferences, workshops or symposia
- Provide consultation services to the government and other organizations.
- Psychologists may specialize in applied psychology or experimental research. Sub-specialties include behavioural psychology, child psychology, cognitive psychology, developmental psychology, educational psychology, industrial psychology, neuropsychology, social psychology or sports psychology.
Employment requirements to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist
You will only work in Canada as a foreigner when you meet the Canadian employment requirements. Moreover, these requirements are in two categories. They are General requirements and specific requirements.
General requirements to work in Canada
Anybody who intends to work in Canada, no matter the kind of work, must meet these requirements in order to qualify to work in Canada. Those requirements are:
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Arranged employment
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
This requirement is very important as you need it to communicate in Canada. Therefore, Canadian workers, especially foreign workers, must meet the minimum language requirements for reading, speaking, writing, and listening.
To prove this, you need to present your language test results from fully accredited international testing institutions such as Duolingo, TOEFL, and IELTS.
Moreover, you can take any of the language proficiency tests below in order to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist.
- International English language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as Foreign language (TOEFL)
- Canadian English language proficiency index program
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- The Canadian test of English for scholars and trainees
- Test de connaissance du Français Canada (TCF).
You should be up to 18 years before you can immigrate to Canada as a psychologist. So if you have not reached the Canadian working age, you cannot work in Canada. Therefore, the working age in Canada is 18 years.
The education requirement to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist is secondary school. However, certain jobs require more than secondary school. Therefore, you must get a report from ECA to prove your academic qualifications.
As soon as you arrange employment with a Canadian employer, it becomes easy for you to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist. However, your employer must get a certification from the Labour Market Impact Assessment. In addition to that, you must also be the best candidate for the job.
Your adaptability to the Canadian weather can also help you while immigrating to work in Canada as a psychologist. Apart from that, you must be able to adapt to the demands of the job. Therefore, before you can move to Canada as a psychologist, you must have a medical checkup to determine your fitness.
For you to increase your score in the comprehensive ranking system, you can include your work experience. A work experience means that you have the skills and experience to work in Canada. Therefore, while filling your application, make sure that you include all the previous work experience you have.
Your partner’s skills
Your partner’s skills are also necessary to boost your comprehensive ranking system CRS core. Moreover, your partner’s skills also matter to your immigration. Therefore, your partner’s age, education, and other qualifications are needed to qualify you.
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist
Despite the general requirements, there are specific requirements you must meet to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist. Therefore, you must meet these requirements below:
- A doctoral degree in psychology is required in order to use the designation “Psychologist” in Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba and British Columbia.
- Master’s degree in psychology is required for the designation “Psychologist” in Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Saskatchewan, Alberta, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- A master’s degree in psychology is required in order to use the designation “Psychological Associate” in Prince Edward Island, Ontario, Manitoba and British Columbia.
- Period of supervised practical experience is required in most jurisdictions.
- Successful completion of the written Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) is required in most provinces.
- Oral examinations and board interviews are required in some provinces.
- Registration with a regulatory body is required in all provinces, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Membership in the provincial professional association for psychologists is mandatory in all provinces, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Psychologists can become specialized in a particular area through training and experience.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist
It is easy to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist using any of the following pathways below:
- Express entry program
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- In-Demand occupations
- Job offer
This pathway to Canada remains the easiest pathway to immigrate to Canada. Therefore, considering the ease and the multiple programs through which you can immigrate to Canada as a psychologist using express entry, you can use any of the listed programs below:
- Federal skilled trades program
- Canada experience class
- Federal skilled worker program
Provincial Nominee Program
In case you do not want to use the express entry, you can use the PNP. This is equivalent to the express entry. However, this program is managed by the provincial governments. Therefore, if you meet their requirements for this program, you can apply for it.
However, you must be ready to live and work in the province that nominates you. In addition to that, you must be ready to adapt to the weather and work conditions of the province.
A valid job offer makes it easier to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist. However, before you can use this pathway, there are certain conditions your employer must fulfill.
First of all, the Canadian employer must get a clearance from the LMIA. Secondly, the employer must prove that you are the best candidate for the job. In addition, you must meet all the requirements for the job.
Sometimes, due to scarcity of employees in a particular job, the job will be classified among the in-demand jobs in Canada. Therefore, if your job is in this category, you can use in-demand job as a pathway to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist
These are necessary steps to follow if you want to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist.
- First of all, you are expected to check your eligibility for Canada’s express entry.
- Secondly, you need to create an express entry profile account and submit an express entry required documents in your profile online.
- Thirdly, you are required to apply for Canada’s working visa permit as soon as you get an Invitation to Apply (ITA).
- Then you must send your application within sixty days.
- Thereafter, you wait until your application is approved or declined. This often takes about six months.
- If your application gets approval, you can start preparing to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist.
Frequently Asked Questions
Must I use only a job offer to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist?
No. There are other entry options you can use outside job offers to immigrate to Canada as a psychologist.
How much does the application fee cost?
Your application fee cost is $150
What is the average salary of a psychologist in Canada?
The average psychologist salary in Canada is $93,673 per year or $48.04 per hour. Entry-level positions start at $79,425 per year.
What is the processing time for a work visa to enter Canada as a psychologist?
The processing time for a Canadian work visa is 6 months.
It will be a dream come true if you follow the guidelines above to easily immigrate to Canada as a psychologist.