Are u worried about how to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent? This post will be helpful to know your available pathways for immigration, steps, and requirements to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent.
Also, you can access a multitude of job listings through any of the job sites in Canada or by reaching out to a Canadian employment agency.
In this article
- Who is a purchasing agent?
- What does purchasing agent do?
- Main duties of a Purchasing Agent?
- Examples of jobs under Purchasing Agents
- Requirements to work in Canada as a Purchasing Agent
- Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a Purchasing Agent
- General requirements
- Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a Purchasing Agent
- Express entry
- Provincial Nominee Program
- Job offer
- 4: In-demand jobs
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as a Purchasing Agent
- Frequently Asked Questions
Who is a purchasing agent?
Purchasing agents buy products and services for an organization to use or resell. They also evaluate suppliers, negotiate contracts and review the quality of products.
What does purchasing agent do?
Purchasing agents and officers purchase general and specialized equipment, materials, land or access rights, and business services for use or further processing by their establishment.
Every occupation on the Canadian National occupation code (NOC) list has a code and the code for those looking to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent is 1225. They are employed throughout the public and private sectors.
Main duties of a Purchasing Agent?
This group performs some or all of the following duties:
- Purchase general and specialized equipment, materials, land or access rights, or business services for use or further processing by their establishment
- Assess requirements of an establishment and develop specifications for equipment, materials, and supplies to be purchased
- Invite tenders, consult with suppliers and review quotations
- Determine or negotiate contract terms and conditions, award supplier contracts, or recommend contract awards
- Establish logistics of delivery schedules, monitor progress, and contact clients and suppliers to resolve problems
- Negotiate land acquisition or access rights for public or private use, and may conduct field investigations of properties
- May hire, train or supervise purchasing clerks.
- Purchasing agents and officers may specialize in the purchase of particular materials or business services such as furniture or office equipment.
Examples of jobs under Purchasing Agents
- advertising buyer
- business services purchasing officer
- buyer – manufacturing, and processing
- buyer – purchasing
- contract claims examiner
- contract management officer
- contract negotiator
- contracts officer
- energy asset joint venture representative
- energy asset surface land analyst
- furniture and furnishings purchaser
- government supply officer
- grain buyer
- hotel purchasing agent
- hotel purchasing officer
- land agent
- land negotiator
- landman/woman – oil and gas
- material management officer
- material purchasing officer
- materials co-ordinator
- media buyer
- media estimator
- media time and space buyer
- mineral land contracts analyst
- office equipment purchasing officer
- ore buyer
- passenger and freight rates analyst
- petroleum land administrator
- procurement officer
- products administrator
- pulpwood buyer
- purchasing agent
- purchasing contracts administrator
- purchasing contracts analyst
- purchasing contracts management officer
- purchasing contracts negotiator
- purchasing contracts officer
- purchasing officer
- purchasing supervisor
- purchasing-services contracts negotiator
- radio time buyer
- restaurant purchasing agent
- restaurant purchasing officer
- right-of-way agent
- senior buyer – purchasing
- services contracts negotiator
- stewardship officer
- storage purchasing co-ordinator
- supply chain specialist – procurement
- television time buyer
- well and facilities asset analyst
Requirements to work in Canada as a Purchasing Agent
- A bachelor’s degree or college diploma in business administration, commerce, or economics is usually required.
- Purchasing agents and officers purchasing specialized materials or business services may require a related university degree or college diploma. For example, a bachelor’s degree or college diploma in engineering may be required for purchasers of industrial products.
- A certificate in purchasing from the Purchasing Management Association of Canada (PMAC) may be required.
- Previous experience as a purchasing clerk or as an administrative clerk may be required.
- Certification from the International Right of Way Association (IRWA) may be required.
Exclusion of jobs under purchasing agent
- Purchasing and inventory control workers
- Purchasing managers
- Retail and wholesale buyers
Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a Purchasing Agent
There are various requirements that you must meet to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent.
The requirements are divided into two, which are the general and specific requirements.
You have to meet this requirement for you to have a successful immigration story and they are:
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Arranged employment
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
- Proof of fund
Immigrant workers must provide a language proficiency test to work in Canada. This test shows that you can speak, listen, write and read any of the Canadian languages. Some of the accepted language tests in Canada include English IELTS, TOEFL, and Duolingo.
Therefore, before you can immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent, you must present a test result from any of the accepted language exams.
You must be between 18 and 35 years before you can immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent. Therefore, if you have either passed or have not reached that age, it will be difficult for you to immigrate.
To immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent, you must have completed your secondary school education. And to show this, you have to get a report from Education Credential Assessment. Without this report, you cannot immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent.
4. Arranged employment
With arranged employment, you will score more points in the comprehensive ranking system. Therefore, if you have the opportunity of getting a valid job offer from a Canadian employer, it is accepted.
However, before you get a job offer, you must meet the minimum requirements for the job. In addition, your employer must get a clearance from the Labour Market Impact Assessment.
Your ability to adapt to the Canadian weather is also another factor that is considered. To immigrate to Canada, you will have to provide medical proof that you can survive the Canadian weather.
6. Work experience
If you have previous work experience, especially in Canada, it is a great factor to consider. This is because it shows that you have the requirements to work in Canada.
7. Your partner’s skills
In addition to your work experience and skills, the skills, work experience, age as well as language proficiency of your accompanying spouse or common-law partner can be helpful.
8. Proof of funds
Every worker in Canada must show proof of a financial fund of $10,000. This proof of funds shows that you have enough money to take care of your living expenses in Canada.
Therefore, before you can immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent, you must provide proof of financial funds from a trusted financial institution.
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent
To migrate to Canada as a purchasing agent under NOC code 1225, you will need to have your credentials certified by Canada. Therefore the least specific education requirement is thus:
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- On-the-job training may be provided.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a Purchasing Agent
The following immigration pathways will help you to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent therefore, you can choose from any of them:
- Express entry
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- In-Demand occupations
- Job offer
This is the most common way to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent. This is because you have different programs to choose from this Express Entry. Therefore, you can make your choice based on your experience and qualifications.
Secondly, many factors can make you score very good points in the comprehensive ranking system CRS. Meanwhile, there are three programs under the express entry system. They include:
Provincial Nominee Program
Apart from the express entry, every province has a provincial program for workers who want to immigrate to the province. However, before you can use the PNP, you must meet the requirements to work in the province. In addition to that, you should have plans of living and work in the province.
A job offer is a fast track to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent. Therefore, if you have a job offer, you can use it as a pathway to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent. This is because it shows that you meet the requirements for the job.
However, your employer must prove that no Canadian citizen and permanent resident can fill the position.
4: In-demand jobs
Many jobs in Canada are regarded as in-demand jobs. What this means is that there are many vacancies in that position in Canada. Therefore, employers are looking for foreign workers to fill vacant positions.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a Purchasing Agent
Immigrating to Canada as a purchasing agent may not be an easy task. However, with the right guidance and steps, it will be less difficult. Therefore following the steps below will help you to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent.
Step 1: Create an express entry account
To immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent, you must, first of all, create an Express Entry profile. This is the only way to get updates and information from the IRCC. For you to create this account, you must visit the IRCC official website.
Step 2: Select a program
The next step is to select a program. The particular program you choose must reflect your qualifications and experience. Therefore, before you choose a program, make sure to understand the requirements. The programs include:
- Canada Experience Class
- Federal skilled trade program
- Provincial Nominee programs
- Quebec Experience Class
- A federal skilled worker program
- Quebec skilled worker program
Step 3: Find a job in Canada
If it is possible, find a job. With a valid job offer, you can easily immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent. However, you must meet the requirements for the job.
Step 4: Receive an invitation to apply
Once you have created your express entry profile, expect to get an invitation to apply from the IRCC. However, not everyone who created an express entry profile will receive this invitation.
This invitation is based on the comprehensive ranking system which is the official method used in determining the best candidates.
Step 5: Submit your application with supporting documents
When you receive an invitation to apply, you have 60 days to reply. Therefore, you must get your application and other documents ready. If you fail to meet up, then you have to wait for the next pool of express entry.
Step 6: Get your work permit
You will get a reply from the IRCC within 28 days. If on the contrary, you don’t receive a reply, it means that a document is missing in your documents or that you put false information in your application.
Therefore, you have to resend your application with the supporting documents again. Meanwhile, remember to include an application fee of CAD150.
Step 7: Welcome to Canada
The final step is you immigrating to Canada as a purchasing agent. Once you have submitted your application and paid your application fee, you can begin to make preparations to move to Canada.
Remember to collect your work permit once you arrive at the Canadian port of entry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a job offer to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent?
No, you must not have a job offer before you can immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent. However, with a valid job offer, it becomes easy.
What is the processing time for a work visa to enter Canada as a purchasing agent?
The processing time for a Canadian work visa is between 3 and 6 months.
What is the average salary of a purchasing agent in Canada?
The average purchasing agent salary in Canada is $55,280 per year or $24.56 per hour.
Can I migrate to Canada as a Purchasing agent?
Yes, You Can! Purchasing agents and officers are on the Canadian NOC List under the code of 1225 and are eligible to move to Canada.
Despite many Purchasing agents and officers migrating to Canada over the past few years, Purchasing agents and officers are still in high demand across Canada from both National and Provincial basics.
The work of a purchasing agent in Canada is quite easy and does not require much, hence, you can consider applying to immigrate to Canada as a purchasing agent.