Immigrate to Canada as a Religious Worker

Discover how to immigrate to Canada as a religious worker, including salaries, employers, and more.

Obviously, some pathways make it possible for foreigners to immigrate to Canada as a religious worker.

Besides, working in Canada as a religious worker does not only offer a lucrative salary but also improves your dedication to your religious faith.

Undeniably, religious workers are regarded as social and community service professionals in Canada. They make an average of CAD $120,000 every year in Canada.

Typical employers of religious workers in Canada include Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama’at Canada Inc., Navnirmaan Cultural and Religious Foundation, Valley United Cultural Club Society, Shri Durga Bhamashwari Mandir Society, etc.

Hence, this article will give you rare insights and outlooks on possible immigration routes, employers, requirements to work, as well as to immigrate to Canada as a religion worker.

What do religious workers do?

Religious workers direct the course of religious services, provide spiritual and moral counseling, administer the rites of a religion or denomination, as well as perform a range of functions relevant with practicing a religion.

Moreover, religious workers are employed in various places of worship such as churches, synagogues, temples, etc.

Furthermore, they work for several institutions, which include educational institutions, correctional institutions and healthcare facilities.

In Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC), religious workers are under the grouping, 4154.

Job descriptions/duties of religious workers

The following are the main job duties of religious workers to worshipers, churches, temples, synagogues, etc.

  • Praying and promoting spirituality through several discussions, including sermons
  • Watching, directing, planning and administering programs of religious education
  • Administering religious rites in weddings and funerals
  • Carrying out regular religious services
  • Availing spiritual and moral counseling to members of a religion
  • Taking part in humanitarian activities, welfare activities, as well as providing social services
  • Sharing in the administrative and financial operations of a religious community
  • Providing consultation services to various organizations, including the government

Examples of jobs under NOC 4154

The following are examples of professional occupations in religion under NOC 4154.

  • Archbishop
  • Archdeacon
  • Assistant minister – religion
  • Bishop
  • Cardinal
  • Chancellor – religion
  • Chaplain
  • Clergyman/woman
  • Curate
  • Evangelist
  • Granthi
  • Imam
  • Minister
  • Minister – religion
  • Moderator – religion
  • Officiating clergyman/woman
  • Parish priest
  • Pastor
  • Preacher
  • Presbyter
  • Priest
  • Rabbi
  • Reverend
  • Salvation Army commissioned officer
  • Television evangelist
Immigrate to Canada as a Social Science Professional

Requirements to work in Canada as a religious worker

After arriving to Canada as a permanent resident, you need to fulfill the following requirements before you can become a religious worker.

  • Graduation from a post-secondary education program of study or any other program in religious studies

Moreover, certain professional occupations in religion require completion of a Masters degree program in divinity or theology.

  • Completion of study with a senior minister

Exclusion under professional occupations in religion

Undoubtedly, other religious occupations (4217) have exemption under NOC 4154.

Requirements to immigrate to Canada as a religious worker

Generally speaking, you are more likely to be accepted by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) as a Canadian permanent resident who conducts routine religious services in churches, temples, etc.

Besides, you can only get approval if your score on Express Entry Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) is one of the best in the pool.

Hence, there is only one way to earn points on the Comprehensive Ranking System, which requires you to fulfill each of IRCC’s requirements for immigration.

These requirements include age, educational, language, arranged employment, work experience, adaptability, among other requirements.

All things considered, meeting these requirements makes you eligible to immigrate to Canada as a religious worker.

General requirements

The following are the overall requirements for immigration to Canada.

1. Age requirement: Can earn up to 12 points on the CRS if you are at least 18 and have not passed 35 years old

2. Educational requirement: May earn as much as 25 points if you are a graduate of secondary school or a post-secondary institution.

An Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report is necessary if you completed your studies in a non-Canadian educational institution.

3. Language requirements: It is essential to take one of the following language proficiency tests.

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE)
  • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
  • Test d’Evaluation de Français (TEF) Canada
  • Test de Connaissance du Français (TCF) Canada

4. Work experience requirement: You can earn up to 15 points on the CRS depending on your years of work experience.

5. Job offer or arranged employment in Canada: You can get up to 10 points when you have a job offer or arranged employment from a Canadian establishment/employer.

6. Adaptability: This requirement is voluntary, and can reward you with a maximum of 10 points on the Comprehensive Ranking System.

Nevertheless, your spouse or common-law partner must be immigrating along with you before you can earn these points.

7. Nomination certificate: If you are applying under a PNP program, you can get extra 600 points on the CRS for using your nomination certificate to facilitate your application.

Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a religious worker

As a religious worker, you can begin your application to immigrate to Canada via any of two (2) pathways, which include Express Entry and Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs).

  1. Express Entry (FST) program

Through Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) under Express Entry, you can immigrate to Canada as a religious worker.

Thus, this pathway requires you to create an Express Entry profile before anything else.

Documents required to create Express Entry profile

  • Your traveling document or passport
  • Result of a language test
  • Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report
  • Proof of funds
  • Arranged employment or written job offer (optional)
  • Proof of work experience
  • Provincial nomination certificate (optional)
  1. Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)

Of course, PNPs are helpful to students, business persons, skilled workers, as well as to semi-skilled workers in immigration to Canada from any country of the world.

Moreover, you need to possess some skills, work experience and education that is of value to a province or territory in Canada.

Undoubtedly, you must be ready to live in the province or territory that nominated you.

Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs) in Canada.

Steps to immigrate to Canada as a religious worker

Below are steps helpful to apply for immigration to Canada as a religious worker, including archbishop, chaplain, evangelist, imam, pastor, reverend, etc.

STEP 1: Create an Express Entry profile

Regardless of if you are applying directly under an Express Entry or PNP program, you still need to create an Express Entry profile.

STEP 2: Choose a pathway

You are expected to make a decision of your preferred pathway from Express Entry or any Provincial Nominee Program (PNP).

STEP 3: Apply under your choice pathway

If Express Entry FSTP is your preferred pathway, you are required to update your Express Entry profile and submit.

If you prefer to immigrate to Canada as a religious worker through a Provincial Nominee Program, your next step is to choose a province or territory.

Afterwards, you need to request for nomination from that province or territory.

STEP 4: Apply for permanent residency after ITA receipt

Subsequent to receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA), you can submit your application for Canadian permanent residency.

Indeed, you must apply not more than 60 days after receiving the ITA.

STEP 5: Welcome to Canada

You can travel to Canada as soon as your permanent residency application gets approval.

Express Entry may take up to 6 months while Provincial Nominee Programs usually take as long as 19 months.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is religious workers NOC code?

NOC 4154

What is the average salary of religious workers in Canada?

Indeed, religious workers earn an average hourly salary ranging from CAD $20 to CAD $60 in Canada.

How much do religious workers make a year in Canada?

Of course, religious worker earn up to CAD $120,000 on a yearly basis.

What organizations offer Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report?

  • World Education Services (WES)
  • Comparative Education Service (University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies)
  • International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICASC)
  • Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada (PEBC)
  • International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES)
  • Medical Council of Canada (MCC)
  • International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)

Who are employers of religious workers in Canada?

  • Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama’at Canada Inc., Maple, ON
  • Navnirmaan Cultural and Religious Foundation, Port Alberni, BC
  • Valley United Cultural Club Society, Abbotsford, BC
  • Shri Durga Bhamashwari Mandir Society, Surrey, BC
  • Youth Sewa Dal Education and Cultural Society, Delta, BC
  • Central Valley Cultural Society, Surrey, BC

How do I get religious worker jobs in Canada?

  • By reaching out to any of the employment agencies in Canada
  • Through any of the job sites in Canada such as Workopolis,, AngelList, Robert Half,, LinkedIn,,, Glassdooe, Monster, CareerBuilder,, among others


In conclusion, we wish that this article had covered all your areas of concerns with respect to immigration to Canada as a religious worker.

We remain committed to provide all other information helpful to immigrate, work or study anywhere in Canada. Thanks for reading!