Do you plan on immigrating to Canada as a silviculturist? If yes, you’re in the right place.
Without a doubt, the importance of Forest cannot be overemphasized, and is majorly evident in the production of oxygen for humans, and also the provision of wood for man’s benefit.
Not only is Forest important for humans but also to animals and nature as well. Evidently, it is seen in the provision of habitat for animals, offering watershed protection and also preventing soil erosion, and mitigating climate change.
Canada is dedicated to promoting forestry and reforestation. Hence, your service is currently needed to immigrate to Canada as a Silviculturist, to contribute to the conservation of natural resources that affects all life
Therefore, in this article, we will enlighten you on who a silviculturist is, the main duties of a silviculturist, as well as the requirement needed for you to immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist
In this article
- Who is a silviculturist?
- Main duties of a silviculturist
- Examples of silviculturist job in Canada
- Requirements to work in Canada as a silviculturist
- Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist
- General requirements to immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
- Proof of funds
- Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a Silviculturist
- #1 Express entry
- #2 Province Nominee Programs
- #3 In-Demand occupations
- #4 Job Offer
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as a Silviculturist
- Frequently Asked Question
Who is a silviculturist?
A silviculturist is a forestry worker who performs a wide range of duties that is related to reforestation. As well as, in the management, conservation, and improvement of Forest lands.
However, you will have to integrate knowledge from a wide range of disciplines such as mensuration, ecology, pathology, sociology, entomology, wildlife, recreation, genetics, soil science, economics, watershed, etc to make prescriptions that will produce desirable conditions.
Without a doubt, the function of the forest cannot be underestimated that is why the forest and trees must be preserved. Hence, your skills are needed to achieve this. Therefore, you can immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist.
Silviculture is assigned a NOC code in Canada. Hence, you can immigrate to Canada as a Silviculturist under the NOC code 8422.
Main duties of a silviculturist
Basically, there are many duties responsibilities, and tasks for you to achieve when you immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist. Hence, we will be discussing some of these duties below
- Firstly, you will be required to cut trees, dig trenches, and pump water on burning areas to get rid of forest fires under the direction of a forestry technician or fire suppression officer
- Secondly, you will select seedlings, access sites, and plant trees with manual planting tools in reforestation areas.
- Also, you will operate power thinning saw to space and thin trees in reforestation areas
- Likewise, you will control undergrowth and weeds in regenerating forests with chemicals and manual tools
- Maintain fire fighting equipment and complete fire fighting report.
- Operate chainsaw and thin young forest.
- Undoubtedly, you will maintain and operate a skidder bulldozer or prime mover to pull a variety of site preparation equipment or scarification over areas to be regenerated
- Likewise, you will perform other silviculture duties such as assisting in planting surveys, marking trees for subsequent operations, pruning trees, and collecting seed cones
- You may also be required to meet clients to discuss any of their difficulties or problem, give supports, and assess their progress.
- Lastly, you will assist to evaluate the effectiveness of treatment programs by tracking client responses to interventions and behavioral changes.
Examples of silviculturist job in Canada
When you immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist, these are the available job positions you may be entitled to under the NOC code 8422.
- Brush cutter – forestry
- Clearing saw operator – forestry
- Fire crewman/woman – forestry
- Lookout- fire
- Fire suppression crewman/woman – forestry
- Forest firefighter
- Forestry conservation worker
- Crew worker- Forestry
- Crewman/woman- Forestry
- Worker- Forestry
- Forestry worker – logging
- Lookout – forestry
- Pieceworker – silviculture
- Precommercial tree thinner
- Scarification equipment operator
- Scarification equipment operator – forestry
- Scarifier operator – silviculture
- Seed cone collector
- Seed cone picker
- Silviculture worker
- Spacing saw operator
- Spacing saw operator – forestry
- Thinning saw operator
- Thinning saw operator – forestry
- Tree pruner – forestry
- Tree spacer – forestry
Requirements to work in Canada as a silviculturist
Without a doubt, many people want to work in Canada including silviculturist and other occupations.
Therefore, Canada sets a working requirement to ensure that only qualified individuals immigrate to Canada.
So, Therefore, the following are the requirements to work in Canada as a silviculturist.
- Firstly, immigrants must have at least a secondary school education
- Also, you must have taken the language proficiency test and passed the test score mark
- Likewise, you must have a silvicultural worker’s license.
- In addition, you must be within the Canadian workable age. I.e between 18-44 years of age.
- Firstly, Arborists are excluded (check to see 2225 Landscape and horticulture technicians and specialists)
- Secondly, Chain saw and skidder operators are excluded as well (check to see 8421 Chain saw and skidder operators)
- Likewise, Forest nursery workers (see 8432 Nursery and greenhouse workers)
- Also, Forestry professionals (See 2122 Forestry professionals)
- In addition, Forestry technologists and technicians (See 2223 Forestry technologists and technicians)
- In addition, Logging and forestry laborers (See 8616 Logging and forestry laborers)
- Lastly, Supervisors, logging, and forestry (See 8211 Supervisors, logging and forestry)Requirements to immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist
Requirements to Immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist
These requirements are general and specific requirements, and are further explained below
General requirements to immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist
Now that you know that they are general and specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist. We will be starting with the general requirement. And, they are:
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
- Proof of fund
Obviously, the ability to write, speak, read, and write in any of the Canadian languages is crucial to immigrating to Canada.
Hence, the Canadian government has set a language proficiency test to prove that you’ll be able to cope with the official language of Canada. Therefore, your language will be tested based on your English and French proficiency.
Also, because you will have to spend a lot of time in the forest trying to ensure that the forest is in a good shape through reforestation and trimmings, you have to be of a mature and youthful age. Hence, you must not be less than 18 years or older than 45 years.
To immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist the minimum educational certificate you must have is a high school diploma or secondary Education.
Undoubtedly, being a silviculturist means you technically work in a forest. And you must be medically fit enough for this job description. Therefore you must provide medical fitness results to show that you are at the best health status and can adapt to any condition in Canada and also in the forest.
Importantly, having previous work experience is one of the requirements to immigrate to Canada as a Silviculturist. However, you must have been employed as a silviculturist for at least one year in your present location.
Your partner’s ability
This is specific for individuals who have a spouse or are married. So, if your spouse has specific skills that will be of use in Canada you will easily get entry to immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist.
Proof of funds
Also, you must have sufficient proof to show that you can fend for yourself pending the time you will get a salary as a silviculturist in Canada. The least amount you can tender as proof is $10,000. After which you can apply
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist
The following are the specific requirement to immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist:
- Firstly, if you are a silviculture worker or Forestry worker, you must complete a college or other specialized program
- Secondly, you must have formal training in maintenance and power saw operation. As well as several months of on-the-job training
- Thirdly, you may have experience as a forestry and logging laborer
- Also, you may be required to tender transportation of dangerous goods (TDG) and workplace hazardous materials information system (WHMIS) certificate.
- You may be required to have a chemical application license
- Lastly, you may be required to have a silvicultural workers license.
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a Silviculturist
The following are the immigration pathway that will help you immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist. Hence, you can make your choice.
#1 Express entry
This is one of the most common pathways that you can use to immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist. There are requirements stated above, ensure that you meet them all. You can utilize any of these programs under Express Entry.
#2 Province Nominee Programs
You can apply to a province in Canada through the provincial nominee program. However, you will have to live and work in that province.
#3 In-Demand occupations
Because of the current need to manage wildfire in Canada and also to regain reforestation, Canada is currently in need of people to immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist. What this means is that you can successfully submit an application to Canada as a silviculturist
#4 Job Offer
Again, you can immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist if you have a job offer in any silviculture organization in Canada. Moreover, you will submit your employment letter to validate that your employment.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a Silviculturist
Check through these steps to help you apply for immigration.
Step 1: First and foremost, you have to know if you are eligible to Immigrate to Canada. You can know this by calculating the CRS scores you have in your employment, partner’s ability, age, etc.
Also, check for the province you wish to send an application to for you to know if you are eligible.
Step 2: Afterwards, proceed to register in the Express Entry pool using any of the programs previously stated.
Step 3: If your application is successful, you are getting closer. Then, you will be invited to apply
Step 4: Lastly, prepare your documents and submit on time. You have to pay a sum of CAD 150 application fee.
Frequently Asked Question
How much can i be paid as a Silviculturist in Canada?
You can be paid between $22,945 and $34,433 in Canada.
Being a silviculturist in Canada is fun and worthwhile. You get to contribute to saving humanity and wildlife through reforestation. Hence, can to immigrate to Canada as a silviculturist