Those who want to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor can apply for an express entry visa. This is because Canada invest on peaceful home and tend to maintain balance in all parts of human development. Knowing that marriage gives rise to home which is the source and center for human development in any given society.
Hence, having a well doing country without corresponding well meaning members of the society will result in potential societal damages.
Due to this, marriage counselors are highly needed in Canada and are open for foreigners who desire to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counselor.
Moreover, martial problems are natural and unavoidable but can be under check and control using marriage counselors. This is one more reason why the Canadian government provides opportunities that encourage those who qualify to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counselor.
However, a qualified marriage counselor who wishes to immigrate to Canada may want to know how to make his or her wishes an achievement.
This article will enlighten on what marriage counselors do in Canada, requirements and other necessary things you may need to achieve your dream of immigrating to Canada as a marriage counselor.
Table of Contents
- What marriage counsellor do in Canada?
- Main duties of marriage counsellors in Canada
- Employment requirements from those who immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor
- Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor
- Steps to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor
- Frequently Asked Questions
What marriage counsellor do in Canada?
Immigrants who go to Canada as a marriage counselor should first of all know what counsellors do in Canada.
Therefore, family, marriage and other related counsellors assist individuals and groups of clients to identify, understand and overcome personal problems and achieve personal objectives.
Marriage counselors are also employed by counselling centres, social service agencies, group homes, government agencies, family therapy centres, and health care and rehabilitation facilities, to work with them or they may work in private practice.
Examples of works under Marriage Counsellor
There are some marriage counseling work that are contained under Canadian NOC category 4153 work titles.
Therefore, examples of those work titles where those who immigrate to Canada as a marriage counselor can work under are:
- addictions counsellor
- alcohol addiction counsellor
- behavioural consultant
- bereavement counsellor
- child and family counsellor
- child and youth counsellor
- children’s counsellor
- clinical counsellor
- community mental health counsellor
- counselling program supervisor
- counsellor for persons who are
- intellectually impaired
- couples therapist
- crisis counsellor
- disability consultant
- drug addiction counsellor
- eating disorder therapist
- family counsellor
- family planning counsellor
- family therapist
- family therapist (FT)
- gambling addictions counsellor
- gambling addictions therapist
- genetic counsellor
- grief counsellor
- group home counsellor
- human relations officer – family and
- children’s services
- human relations officer – family therapy
- marital counsellor
- marriage and family therapist
- marriage and family therapist (MFT)
- marriage consultant
- marriage counsellor
- marriage therapist
- marriage therapist (MT)
- mental health counsellor
- play therapist
- pre retirement counsellor
- psychoeducational consultant
- registered clinical counsellor
- registered family therapist
- registered marriage and family therapist
- registered marriage therapist
- rehabilitation counsellor
- sex therapist
- special needs counsellor
- vocational rehabilitation consultant
- vocational rehabilitation counsellor
- welfare organization counsellor
- zoo therapist
Job Included under marriage counselor
However, apart from those job titles mentioned under NOC code above, there are other areas immigrant marriage counselors can function at. They are
- behavioural consultant
- disability consultant
- play therapist
- psychoeducational consultant
Job exclusion from marriage counselor under NOC 4153
Yet, there are job exclusions under the NOC code above that those who immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellors can not work for. They are :
- Educational counsellors
- Employment counsellors
- Managers in social, community and correctional services
- Social and community service workers
- Community service workers
- Social workers
Main duties of marriage counsellors in Canada
Despite the above stated functions of those who immigrate to Canada as a marriage counselor, there are main duties of marriage counsellors in Canada which you have to know.
Therefore, family, marriage and other related counsellors perform the following duties:
- Interview clients, prepare case histories and assess problems
- Conduct vocational testing and psychometric assessment
- Develop and implement counselling and intervention programs to assist clients in determining goals and means of attaining them
- Counsel clients, provide therapy and mediation services, and facilitate group sessions
- Liaise with community agencies or partners, and identify additional or alternative services and provide referrals
- Evaluate the effectiveness of counselling programs and interventions, and clients’ progress in resolving identified problems and movement toward defined objectives
- Follow up on results of counselling programs and clients’ adjustments
- Prepare assessment, progress, follow-up and court reports
- May supervise other counsellors, social service staff and assistants
- May provide public education and consultation to other professionals or groups regarding counselling services, issues and methods
- May provide witness testimony in court proceedings
- May conduct research, publish research papers, educational texts and articles and deliver presentations at conferences.
- May participate in fundraising activities.
However, it will be good to know that family, marriage and other related counsellors in Canada often specialize in dealing with a specific client or group such as injured workers, or with specific problems, such as drug and alcohol addiction, marital difficulties or behavioural disorders.
Employment requirements from those who immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor
For you to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counselor, you have to meet up with two categories of requirements which are general and specific requirements.
The general requirements for those who immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor are:
- Language requirements
- Age requirements
- Education requirements
- Arranged employment
- Work experience
- Your partner’s ability
First of all, you must fulfill language requirements by sitting for immigration, refugees and citizenship Canada IRCC-approved English or French proficiency exam.
Moreover, the following are English and French language proficiency tests accepted by IRCC to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counselor.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) assessment
Michigan English Test
You should be at least 18 years to immigrate to Canada as a worker lest you will be considered a minor and will not be qualified as an immigrant.
The minimum education to work in Canada as an immigrant is secondary school education or high school certification.
Therefore, in order to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor, you must have completed your secondary school education.
#4: Arranged employment
One of the easiest ways to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor is to arrange employment with a Canadian employer. However, the employer must show that no Canadian citizen or permanent resident can fill the position.
#5: Work experience
Another factor to check before immigrating to Canada as a marriage counsellor is your work experience. Therefore, if you have enough work experience, you can use the Canada experience class. However, there are other programs you can still use.
#6: Your partner’s ability
The work experience, skills, language proficiency and age of your spouse or common law partner can also help you to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor. Therefore, if your spouse has worked in Canada or lived in Canada, you will have evidence and will have more chances.
IRCC will check you before allowing you to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor to know your adaptability in Canada.
Therefore, you must provide a medical report showing that you are medically fit. In addition to that, you must be able to adapt to the working demands of your job.
Specific requirements to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor
- A master’s degree in the field of counselling, mental health or a related social service discipline is usually required.
- In Quebec, a master’s degree in psychoeducation is required to practise as a psycho-educator.
- An undergraduate degree or college diploma in social science is required for certain areas of counselling.
- Membership with a provincial association for marriage and family therapists or clinical counsellors is required to use the title “Registered
Marriage and Family Therapist” or “Registered Clinical Counsellor and in Quebec, to use the title marriage and family therapist (MFT), family therapist (FT) or marriage therapist (MT)
- Membership with a provincial association may be required by some employers.
- Registration with a regulatory body is required in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Québec and Ontario.
- Registered marriage and family therapists and registered clinical counsellors must meet strict criteria involving postgraduate education and a period of supervised clinical work with clients.
- Due to the level of experience and maturity needed to perform this duty, you will be minimum of 25 years to immigrate to Canada as a marriage and counselor
Pathways to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor
For the sake of the increasing need in Canada for marriage counsellor, certain pathways have been made available to make your immigration easy and fast.
Therefore, you can follow any of the following to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor.
- Express entry
- Provincial Nominee Programs
- In-Demand occupations
- Job offer
- Quebec Experience Class
1: Express entry
Canada express entry has three programs under it for workers who want to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor. So you can check to know if you qualify for any of these programs. The programs are:
- Canada experience class
- Federal skilled worker program
- Federal skilled trades program.
In order to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor The best program here is the Federal skilled worker program.
Moreover, if you have the needed experience, you can as well apply under Canadian Experience Class.
2: Provincial Nominee Program
Canadian provincial nominee programs serve as a pathway for immigrant marriage counsellors to immigrate to a particular province or territory in Canada.
Moreover, you need to possess certain skills, education qualification and work experience that can promote the Canadian province or territory’s economy which nominates you.
Therefore some of the Canadian provinces that can nominate immigrants for marriage counselor in Canada under their programs are:
- Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP)
- British Columbia Provincial Nominee Program (BC PNP)
- Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP)
- New Brunswick Provincial Nominee Program (NBPNP)
- Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program (NL PNP)
- Northwest Territories Nominee Program (NTNP)
- Nova Scotia Provincial Nominee Program (NSNP)
- Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP)
- Prince Edward Island Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP)
- Saskatchewan Immigration Nominee Program (SINP)
3: In-Demand occupations
Having known that marriage counsellor falls under the in-demand jobs in Canada, you can as well use it as an option to immigrate to Canada.
4: Job offer
Another easy pathway to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor is a job offer. This is where you will first of all secure a job offer by a Canadian employer who will make sure that no Canadian national will take the offer except you.
Moreover, the employer must get a certificate from the Labour Market Impact Assessment before employing you.
5: Quebec Experience Class
Immigrants who want to immigrate to Canada and work in Quebec have a special program. This program allows them to live and work in the province of Quebec. However, before they can immigrate to Quebec, they must show proof of proficiency in French language. In addition, they must intend to live and work in Quebec.
Steps to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor
You are going to follow the steps below to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor
Step 1 : Sign up for express entry
This is the first step towards immigrating to Canada as a marriage counsellor. How to do it is to visit the immigration, refugees and citizenship Canada IRCC website and sign up.
You should know that this sign up means creating an express entry profile. Without an express entry profile, you cannot receive updates about Canada immigration.
Therefore, you must open an account and you must frequently visit the profile to check for updates and follow instructions there.
Step 2: Enter a program
The second thing to do is to choose the best program that suits your profile. Therefore, you must check to know the program that you qualify for. The programs are:
- Canada Experience Class
- Federal skilled trade program
- Federal skilled worker program
- Provincial Nominee programs
- Quebec Experience Class
- Quebec skilled worker program
Step 3: Find a job in Canada
If you want to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor easily, you will have to find a job in Canada. With a valid job offer, you will make sure you score more points in the comprehensive ranking system CRS. Hence, your chances of getting an invitation to apply increase depends on your high score in the CRS exam
Moreover, your employer must prove that no Canadian citizen or permanent resident can fill the position.
Step 4: Receive an invitation to apply
If you are among the CRS applicants with the highest score, you will receive an invitation to apply for a visa.
Note, you must reply within 60 days of receiving an invitation to apply. Remember to make all your supporting documents ready before then.
Step 5: Submit your application with supporting documents
The next move after getting an invitation to apply is to submit your application. In addition to the application, you must include all the necessary documents.
Make sure to include an application fee of CAD $150.
Step 6: Get your work permit
You will have to get your work permit. Within 28 days of submitting your application, you will receive the final report about your application. If you are successful, you will receive a letter telling you that you have been issued a work permit.
Nevertheless, if you do not get such an email, check to see if your documents are complete or if there is an incorrect detail in your account.
Step 7: Congratulations
Congratulations for a successful work permit to immigrate to Canada as a marriage counsellor.
However, you will get your work permit once you enter Canada. If, on the contrary, you are not able to get it, you must book an appointment with an immigration officer on the date to come back for your work permit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I immigrate to Canada as a Counsellor without a job offer?
Yes you can become you have other options to immigrate to Canada apart from job offers.
What is the average salary of a marriage counsellor ?
Average salary $49,610 per year.
What is the processing time for a work visa to enter Canada as a marriage counsellor?
The processing time for a Canadian work visa is between 3 and 6 months
Marriage counselling jobs are very interesting in Canada as there are nice platforms to function there as a marriage counselor.