Whether you want to visit Japan for business or pleasure, you may be asking whether you need a Japan business visa or a work visa. This page will address all of your questions.
US citizens do need a visa to enter Japan for any purpose, such as tourism or business meetings. All these are common questions based on the specific circumstances that you need answers to, and we will do just that.
So, in this article, we will provide more answers to all your questions about Japan visas, types, requirements, documents, visa fees, and how to apply.
Let us get started!
The Japanese economy is driven by exports, with key automotive, electronics, and shipbuilding industries. The country’s highly skilled workforce is known for its innovative and efficient manufacturing processes.
Japan has been an important economic partner for countries around the world, and its strong economy has helped to underpin global growth. Looking ahead, Japan is well placed to continue its role as a key player in the global economy.
Despite its small size, Japan is a world-renowned economic powerhouse. It is home to some of the largest companies in the world, such as Toyota, Sony, and Honda. The country also has a highly skilled workforce and is a leading exporter of technology and automobiles.
New Visa Policies on Japan Visa Application 2023
There have been recent developments in the visa application process for foreign citizens who wish to enter Japan.
Before the policy change, Japanese visas were not required for citizens of certain countries like the US citizens, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
For the time being, all foreigners need a visa before entering the country.
However, the only exceptions to this rule are foreigners who already have a re-entry permit, and foreigners with special conditions can only enter without a visa for a single entry.
In addition, the new policy also applies to those who wish to enter Japan for business, work, study, training, internships, family reasons, or tourism.
Those who do not comply with the new visa policy will be denied entry into Japan.
Visa-free entries to Japan are Currently Suspended
Japan has suspended visa-free entry to countries on the grounds of COVID-19 protocols.
Hence, if you previously did not require a visa to visit Japan, you will now have to acquire a visa, regardless of the type of visa or length of stay.
And as we mentioned earlier, suspension of visa-free entries is just one of the many measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Although, the suspension of visa-free entries may be an inconvenience for some travelers.
Nevertheless, the essence is for the safety and well-being of everyone.
Validity Visas Issued Previously to foreign is Suspended for Now
Except for foreigners who have attained any of this status:
- Spouse or child of a Japanese citizen.
- Spouse or child of a permanent resident.
Japan Visa Application Online for the US And Canadian Citizens
Currently, only Canadian and US citizens are eligible to apply for a Japan visa online (evisa). However, this policy will improve in the future.
Therefore, if you are not a Canadian or US citizen, you must apply for your visa through the Japanese Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.
- Note that these updates are only temporary if any new developments affect you.
Please, contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate for complaints and further inquiries.
What is Japan Visa
A Japan visa gives foreign citizens who wish to enter Japan for reasons like tourism, business, studies, work, and living permanently in Japan. It is necessary for anyone who is not a Japanese citizen or a permanent resident of Japan.
Eligibility Requirements for Japan Visa Application
There are entry eligibility criteria foreign nationals who wish to enter Japan must meet before attaining a visa.
However, there are certain countries whose citizens are eligible for a visa waiver program, which allows them to enter Japan without a visa for stays of up to 90 days.
For instance, nationals from Passport visa-free countries do not need a visa to enter Japan.
Who Can Apply for a Visa?
All foreign nationals who wish to travel to Japan and have met the visa requirements can apply for a Japanese visa.
Who Needs a Visa to Japan?
Most foreign citizens who wish to enter Japan for reasons such as tourism, and businesses, will need to obtain a visa in advance.
Who Does Not Need a Visa to Japan (for tourism)?
Nationals of 68 countries who share visa waiver agreements with Japan do not need a visa for tourism purposes.
In addition, these countries are also exempted from applying for a visa if they are in transit to or from a third country, provided they meet certain conditions.
Which Countries have Visa- Exemption?
Passport visa-free entries countries list (up to 15 days single entry)
The following list of countries does not need a visa to Japan for tourism, business, and other short visits for up to 15 days.
All European Union countries, Macau, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, South Korea, Suriname, Switzerland, Taiwan, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, United States, Australia, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa, Rica, Schengen area, Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Iceland, Lesotho, Liechtenstein, Dominican.
Types of Japan Visa
Foreigners need to know the various types of visas. And the purpose and duration of each type of visa are suitable.
Therefore, there are two main categories of the Japan visa according to the duration of stay as follows:
- Short stay visa and
- Long stay visa
It is also known as a temporary visa.
Similarly, a short-stay visa is required for nationals who wish to visit Japan for a short period, not more than 90days.
Therefore, the short stay visa is divided into:
- Japan Tourist Visa: This subtype of short-stay visa is for nationals who wish to visit Japan for tourist purposes. And it is valid for single entries for up to 90days.
- Japan transit Visa: This visa is for people who are in transit to another country. But, because of the need to make short stops in the Japanese territory.
- Japan Business Visa: nationals who wish to visit Japan for business trips or meetings. This business visa is also valid for 90 days for multiple entries.
Suppose you want to stay in Japan for a long period. The purpose of the long-stay visa could be studies, work, employment, or family reunion.
In addition, the long-stay visa is valid for more than 90 days and is divided into:
- Japan Student Visa: This is for international students who wish to study in the designated institution and will need a student visa for their studies.
- Japan Work visa: All foreign nationals who need to take on employment in japan that will yield monetary gains will need a work visa
- Japan Marriage Visa: is required for foreigners married to a Japanese spouse.
- Japan Highly Skilled Professional Visa: it is issued to a foreigner with outstanding skills depending on their area of specialization.
- Japan Working-Holiday Visa: young citizens from countries -sharing working-holiday agreements with Japan work in Japan for one year.
Requirements for Japan Visa Application (documents)
Visiting Japan will require you to meet certain requirements before you can enter japan.
Hence, if you need to apply for a visa, the following documents must be provided:
- You have completed a Japan visa application form
- You are the holder of a valid passport that will still be valid for six months
- If you are married to a Japanese spouse. Also, you will need to provide a marriage certificate within one year.
- A recent colored passport photo.
- Bank Statements to demonstrate you have sufficient funds to sustain you while in Japan.
- You will need an invitation letter or any documents that satisfy your employment status for a work visa.
- Students will need to provide an acceptance letter from the designated institution they want to study in Japan,
- A booked visiting and return flight ticket. This proves that you are willing to return to your country of residence.
- If you are applying for a long-stay visa, you will be required to submit a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from an authorized immigration officer in Japan.
Application Processes for Japan Visa
Where Can I Apply?
At the Japanese Embassy or Consulate Near You.
You will need to apply for a Japan visa at the Embassy or Consulate in person or through a third personal Consulate agency.
Japan Visa Online.
For the time being, only Canadian and US citizens can obtain a Japanese visa through an electronic visa.
And to obtain a visa online, you must follow these application processes:
- Fill out the Japan visa online application form. Fill out an e-visa application form with your details correctly before you append your signature.
- Upload the required documentation, including your passport and other documents.
- Pay for the visa application. You need to pay the visa fee in the Japanese currency (yen)
- Wait for a confirmation of the evisa through an email.
- Print a copy of the visa by email for reference.
How Can I Apply for a Japan Visa?
To apply for a Japanese visa, you must follow the following process:
Meet the Eligibility requirements.
Meeting the visa requirements is the first step of your eligibility for a visa. You also need to meet all the documents’ requirements and conditions.
Get the Required Documents Ready.
You will need to arrange all documents required. These documents must include a Certificate of Eligibility, passport, invitation letter, etc.
Contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate Near You.
When you are sure that all the requirements for the visa are ready. The next thing to do is to look for any Japanese Embassy or Consulate near you. When you find one;
- Book an appointment in advance.
- At the Embassy, you will be given an application form. You need to fill out an application form with your details and append your signature.
- Attach the documents to the application form before you submit it to the immigration officer.
- Pay the visa fee in cash, Japanese currency (yen)
- Wait for a few days while the visa is processing.
How Much is the Japan Visa Application Fee?
Japan visa application through the Embassy or Consulate will cost you 3,000 yen for a single entry. 6,000 yen for multiple entries and 700 yen for a transit visa.
How Long Do I Have to Wait to Process a Japan Visa?
It takes about five (5) business days to process a Japan visa. However, you may be required to provide another supporting document which takes up to a month to process the visa.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Long is Japan Tourist Visa Valid?
All short stay visas including are valid for 90day (3 months)
How Long is the Japanese Transit Visa Valid?
A Japanese transit visa is valid for 15 days. After that, it is just for a single transit and cannot be extended.
Can I Pay the Visa Application Fee With Cards?
No, you can not pay the Japan vis application fee with cards.
Especially if you applied through the Embassy.
The reason is that visa policy permits only cash payments for any visa application.
Is the Japanese Passport the Strongest in the World Now?
Yes, the Japanese passport is the strongest in the world. In addition, the passport gives its holder access to 193 countries without a visa.
As of August 2023, the Henley passport index declared the Japanese passport the strongest passport in the world when it comes to visa travel freedom.
What about holders of Japanese passports who are foreigners?
Not just citizens of japan. All nationals who are holders of Japanese passports can also enter 193 countries for reasons such as tourism and business-related activities.
In conclusion, if you plan on traveling to Japan, it is important to be aware of the visa requirements, types of visas, and application and fee process. This article has provided an overview of this information to help make your trip planning smoother. Remember to also check with the Japanese consulate in your home country for the most up-to-date information. Thank you for reading!