If you are eager to study at Lakehead, you need to take note of several factors. Among these factors are Lakehead University admission requirements for international students, which is essential as it’s used to assess and consider eligible applicants for admissions.
Lakehead University is a Canadian research post-secondary institution that was set up on July 1, 1965. Moreover, Lakehead is a reputable university and is widely known as the 2nd research higher education institution for undergraduate students.
As an Ontario-based education institution, Lakehead University campuses are located in Thunder Bay and Orillia.
Furthermore, there are various Lakehead University faculties of study, which includes Education, Medical School (West Campus), Lakehead University Law faculty, Engineering, Science & Environmental Studies, Business Administration, Natural Resources Management, Health & Behavioural Sciences, Social Sciences & Humanities, as well as Lakehead University faculty of Graduate Studies.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why choose Lakehead University Orillia and Thunder Bay?
- 2 Lakehead University programs
- 3 Documents needed to apply for Lakehead University admissions
- 4 Lakehead University admission requirements for international students
- 5 Lakehead University notable alumni
Why choose Lakehead University Orillia and Thunder Bay?
There are numerous major reasons to consider studying at Lakehead University. Among which are;
- Premium research and learning
- Plethora of financial aids amounting to CAD $11 Million
- Access to ancient and contemporary learning facilities at Lakehead University Thunder Bay campus
- Learning in small classrooms that augments attentiveness between instructors and students
- Extensive number of study programs in many disciplines, including undergraduate and Lakehead University graduate studies
- Lakehead University Thunder Bay is situated in a diverse community capable of satisfying all your needs
- Eased application procedures and aid through Lakehead University accredited education agents who are located in various countries
- Optimum level of assurance that you’ll secure a job as 97.7% of Lakehead University alumni are employed not long after completing their studies
- Cherished moments through several cultural events and extracurricular activities within Lakehead University Orillia and Thunder Bay campuses
- Access to a complete range of learning materials in Lakehead University library and bookstore
- Various options to choose from Lakehead University housing and restaurants
- Amazing recreational activities that create a delightful experience
Lakehead University programs
International students are availed of an extremely long list of programs at Lakehead University.
These programs include undergraduate degrees, Master’s degrees, Doctoral (Ph.D.), as well as graduate diploma programs.
However, study programs at Lakehead University cut across several fields, which includes;
- Computer Science
- Natural Science
- General Arts
- Forest Sciences
- Health Sciences
- Political Science
- Civil Engineering
- Educational Studies
- Applied Life Sciences
- Aboriginal Education
- Professional Kinesiology
- Visual Arts
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- General Science
- Gender and Women’s Studies
- Indigenous Learning
- Water Resource Science
- Indigenous Language Instructor’s Program
- Natural Resources Management
- Resource and Environmental Economics
- Media, Film and Communications
- Indigenous Nursing Entry Program
- Chemistry and Materials Science Social Work
- Outdoor Recreation, Parks & Tourism
- Indigenous STEM Access Program (ISTEM), among others
Documents needed to apply for Lakehead University admissions
International applicants of Lakehead University are required to make provision of the following documents and credentials in order to meet part of its admissions requirements.
- Official transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (based on certain conditions)
- International Credential Advantage Package (ICAP), which is obtainable from WES Canada (if required)
- Consent Form and Letter of Reference (for applicants who want to transfer credits to Lakehead University Nursing program)
- Portfolio completion (necessary to applicants of Lakehead University Music or Visual Arts program). Besides, Lakehead Media Studies Selection Committee are in charge of accessing the portfolio.
Lakehead University admission requirements for international students
In order to become eligible for Lakehead University admissions, you’re expected to meet certain requirements pertaining to the institution’s General Admissions requirements, proficiency in English language requirements, as well as program-specific requirements.
Even if you’ve been able to satisfy Lakehead University general admissions requirements, you also need to fulfill the requirements of the program you’re applying for.
Here are Lakehead University admission requirements for international students.
- First of all, you must have completed High School Grade 12
- Secondly, you need to provide proof of English language proficiency
The following are English proficiency tests accepted by Lakehead University Orillia and Thunder Bay campus.
|Accepted proof of nglish proficiency tests||For all Lakehead University undergraduate programs with exemption to Nursing, Juris Doctor, as well as 2-year B.Ed programs||For Lakehead University Nursing, Juris Doctor, as well as 2-year B.Ed programs|
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL):||Internet Based Test (iBT): Least score of 80, component score not below 19.
For TOEFL Computer-Based Test (CBT): You must score at least 213; Minimum component score of 17.
In addition, for TOEFL Paper Based Test (PBT), minimum of 550 in speaking; component score not below 50
|iBT: Overall score not below 103; Not less than 28 in Writing, 28 in Speaking, 24 in Reading, as well as 24 in Listening|
|International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic||Score not less than 6.5; no band below 6.0||Least overall score of 7; Minimum of 6.5 in Reading, 6.5 in Listening, 7 in Writing, and also in Speaking|
|Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)||Least score of 58; minimum component score of 50||Overall score not less than 65;
Minimum of 65 in Speaking, 65 in Writing, 58 in Reading, as well as 58 in Listening
|Michigan English Test (MET)||Score not below 85||Least overall score of 90|
|Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Test or CAEL Online OR CAEL Computer Edition (CE)||Least score of 60||–|
|Cambridge Academic English: C1 Advanced (CAE) or C2 Proficiency (CPE)
Note: Send Candidate ID and Secret No. to [email protected]
|Score not below 176; least score of 169
|Overall score not below 185; At least 185 in Writing, as well as in Speaking. Also, not less than 176 in Listening 176, and 176 in Reading & Use of English|
|DuoLingo English Test (DET)
This English proficiency test is accepted by Lakehead University for a limited period of time.
|Score not less than 110||Least score of 120|
Proof of English proficiency requirement for applicants who have completed the Academic English Program (AEP) at Lakehead University
If you’ve previously partaken in Lakehead University’s AEP and was able to successfully complete the program, you are not required to provide proof of English proficiency, particularly when the program you’re applying for requires;
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Minimum score of 80 (no score below 19)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic: least score of 6.5 (no score below 6.0)
However, you are mandated to undergo and tender results of an English proficiency test if you intend to apply for a Nursing, Juris Doctor, 1-year Social Work, or 2-Year B.Ed program at Lakehead University.
Transfer Credit admission requirements at Lakehead University
If you intend to transfer credits to Lakehead University, you need to send Course Descriptions that were prepared by the institution to Lakehead.
Lakehead University notable alumni
The following alumni of Lakehead University are inspiring to current students, prospective students, etc.
- Member of the Order of Canada, Margaret Page
- Managing Partner of Buset & Partners LLP., Richard Buset
- President and Chief Executive Officer of Ontario Realty Corporation, Tony Miele
- Assistant Deputy Minister of Manitoba Conservation, Dave Wotton
- President of Petrine Consulting Inc., Frances Guzzi Picherack
- Chief Executive Officer of Thurston Machine Co. Ltd., Mark Nevar
- President and Chief Executive Officer of Vision Television, William Dwight Roberts
- Research Director at Codexis, Jim Lalonde
- President & Chief Executive Officer of Redlen Technologies, Glenn Bindley
- Chairperson and Managing Director of Discovery Capital, Harry Jaako
- President and MD of J. T. Insurance Services, Ltd., Canada, James Clay
- Managing Director of Thurston Machine Co. Ltd., Mark Nevar
- President and Chief Executive Officer of Lovat Inc., Rick Lovat
- Chief Executive Officer of Snugabye Inc., Ken Davis
- Chairperson and President of Service Corporation International Ltd., Canada, John Arthur Gordon
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO) at Avotus Corporation, Stephen Massel
- President and Managing Director of Protek Systems, H.W. (Harvey) Schilke
- Founding president and former Vice Chancellor of the University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Gary Polonsky
- Establisher and President at Krahn Engineering, David Krahn
FAQs about Lakehead University admission requirements for international students
Q. What term does Lakehead University run?
Ans – Lakehead University operates on two terms (Fall term and Winter term) every academic year. Besides, these terms runs from September to April, which is for eight (8) months
Q. What is Lakehead University institution code?
Ans – 0888
How much is Lakehead University application fee for international students?
Ans – $135 Canadian Dollars
Q. Where is Lakehead University located?
Ans – Lakehead University address in Thunder Bay:
955 Oliver Road,
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7B 5E1
Lakehead University address in Orillia:
500 University Avenue,
Orillia, Ontario L3V 0B9
Q. What term can I use Lakehead University Letter of Acceptance?
Ans – Lakehead University offer of admission can be used to commence studies in Fall term or Winter term
Q. What other fee must Lakehead applicants pay?
Ans – $60 Canadian Dollars, which is meant for document evaluation
Q. Does Lakehead offer scholarship to international students?
Ans – Yes. Lakehead University scholarships for international students include;
- International Entrance Scholarships
- Faculty Research Award
- Lakehead-Georgian Scholarships
- Graduate scholarships
Q. Does Lakehead University offer IELTS?
Ans – Yes
Q. How do I satisfy Lakehead University English proficiency requirements?
- By partaking in a proof of English language proficiency test that is accepted by Lakehead University
- Also by completing the Academic English Program at Lakehead University
- More so, by completing English as a Second Language (ESL) program in any of their pathway partners
Q. When should I resume at Lakehead University?
Ans – Majority of Lakehead University programs expects new students to commence studies in the Fall term, which starts on September.