Laos Student Visa – Application, Funding and Requirements
If you are interested in studying abroad in the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, you must apply for Laos Student Visa.
Laos is a Southeast Asian country home to approximately 7.3 million people, which includes hundreds to thousands of international students. Therefore, choosing Laos as your study abroad destination is highly beneficial. It brings about lifelong advantages to your career and way of life. One primary reason to select Laos for further study is that you do not have to be a rich guy or meet many requirements.
This article walks you through the steps in obtaining a Laotian Student Visa, including its requirements, eligibility criteria, application fee, processing time, and visa duration.
Why Study in Laos?
Here are the top reasons to study in Laos from any country in the world.
- Studying in Laos is not boring, as there are many extracurricular activities to engage in. Besides, Laos is home to many tourist attractions.
- Even as Laos has only a few universities, many different academic programs and courses are open to applications of eligible international students.
- Getting a study visa for the Lao People’s Democratic Republic is easy.
- International students can work in Laos, but with certain restrictions.
- Many scholarship programs are available to benefit international students enrolled in Laotian universities.
- Living and studying in Laos is cheap for international students. This means that accommodation is affordable and easy to get due to the availability of various options.
- Laotians are accommodating to foreign nationals without the exception of international students. Thus, you’ll experience difficulty in making new friends in the country.
Who Needs to Apply for Laos Student Visa?
A Laos Study Visa is a visa issued by Laotian embassies and consulates overseas to international students who intend to enter the country for further education purposes.
To be eligible for Laos Student Visa, you must have an acceptance letter from a Laotian educational institution.
Processing Time of Laos Student Visa
In most cases, Laos Study Visa applications do not take more than 30 days for their entire processing and issuance. As a result, almost all international students who apply for a Laos Study Visa can pick up their passports within one month of submission.
Laos Student Visa Fee
As an international student applying for Laos Study Visa, you must pay a fee ranging from $30 to $45 before submitting the required documents. The precise amount varies depending on your country of origin.
Eligibility Criteria for Laos Student Visa
You can only apply for Laos Student Visa if you have been able to meet the following conditions.
- Before anything else, you must possess an acceptance letter of a full-time program or course issued by a Laotian educational institution. Bear in mind that the school must be recognized.
- It would be best to have sufficient finance for your academic needs in Laos.
- You must have fully paid your tuition fees for the course or program.
- It is equally essential to have provable private healthcare insurance coverage.
- You should also be able to prove your aim to leave Laos upon competition of your studies.
Laos Student Visa Requirements
The following are student visa requirements for Laos.
- A filled-out Laos Student Visa application form
- A valid passport, which has a minimum of six months validity period
- Two passport-sized pictures
- Copies of your previous educational certificates
- An unconditional admission letter from a Laotian educational institution
- A Vaccination Card that proves precautionary measures against typhoid and yellow fever
- One copy of your sponsor’s identity card (for example, your international passport, National ID Card, or driver’s license)
- A round-trip flight ticket to Laos
- Your bank statements for the previous three months
- A notarized letter of guarantee featuring the signature of you and your sponsor. The letter must show that your sponsor will finance your studies without being required to apply for student financial aid.
- A notarized consent letter from your parents (required by applicants who are below 18 years old)
How to Get Laos Student Visa
Here are the steps to take towards obtaining a study visa for Laos.
- Source for the location of a Laotian diplomatic mission
- Complete the Laos Student Visa application form and assemble all required documents
- Pay your visa application fee
- Visit a Laotian embassy or consulate to hand over the required documents
- Await the Laotian embassy or consulate’s decision
Step 1: Source for the location of a Laotian diplomatic mission
The first step in getting a Laos Study Visa is to discover the location of the nearest Laotian embassy or consulate. You must also find out its contact information, as you need to ask whether arranging an appointment is necessary or not.
If the diplomatic mission necessitates fixing an appointment, you must do it at once.
Step 2: Complete the Laos Student Visa application form and assemble all required documents
This step involves getting hold of the visa application form, completing all its empty fields, and attaching your passport to it.
Furthermore, you have to prepare all of the required documents.
Step 3: Pay your visa application fee
Next, you are required to pay your visa application fee. Instructions on the fee payment method vary depending on the Laotian embassy or consulate in your country of residence.
Step 4: Visit a Laotian embassy or consulate to hand over the required documents
The fourth step in getting a Laos Study Visa is to hand over your supporting documents in person. This step comprises a meeting between you and a consular officer at a Laotian diplomatic mission.
Step 5: Await the Laotian embassy or consulate’s decision
Finally, you must wait 30 days to receive a notification from the Laotian embassy or consulate in your home country.
Once received, there is no more delay in picking up your visa and taking a flight to Laos.
Validity Period of Laos Student Visa
A study visa for the Lao People’s Democratic Republic is valid for up to one year. Hence, you must reapply every year, supposing that your intended program or course has a longer duration.
READ ALSO: Immigrate to Canada from the Lao People’s Democratic Republic.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I study in Laos?
Yes, you can enroll for studies in Laos even if you are an international student. However, before entering the Lao People’s Democratic Republic for study, you must apply for a student visa through the nearest Laotian embassy or consulate.
How can I get Laos Student Visa?
The only possible way to get a student visa for Laos is to apply through a Laotian embassy or consulate in your home country. The application process requires you to fill out an application form, pay a processing fee, and hand over your supporting documents to a consular officer. In addition, be sure to have received a letter of acceptance from a Laos-based educational institution.
Is it easy to get a student visa to Laos?
Yes, it is effortless to get Laos Student Visa. The visa is useable to enter the Lao People’s Democratic Republic for enrollment in any of its universities. These include Souphanouvong University, University of Health Sciences Lao, National University of Laos, Champasack University, and Lao-Korean College.
How much does Laos Student Visa cost?
The cost of a student visa for Laos ranges from $30 to $45, depending on the applicant’s country of residence.
What are the documents required for Laos Student Visa?
The documentation required for Laos Study Visa processing includes the following:-
- A valid passport
- Two photographs (passport-sized)
- A round-trip ticket for an international flight to Laos
- A letter of unconditional admission from a Laos-based university
- Your recent account statements
- A Vaccination Card that proves typhoid and yellow fever’ precautionary measures
- A notarized consent letter from your parents (if you are not yet up to 18 years old)
- One copy of your sponsor’s identity card
- Copies of your previous certificates of study
- A notarized letter of guarantee featuring the signature of you and your sponsor
How long does it take to get Laos Student Visa?
Laos Student Visa processing time does not exceed 30 days, provided applicants meet its eligibility criteria and requirements. However, the waiting period will be longer if the diplomatic mission demands the submission of some other documents.
Where do I apply for Laos Student Visa?
To get a student visa for Laos, you must visit any Laotian embassy or consulate in your home or neighboring country. Undoubtedly, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic has up to 32 diplomatic missions in total, located in different countries in the world.
How long can I stay in Laos on a study visa?
Laos Student Visa is a renewable visa with a duration of one year. Its holders must apply yearly for visa renewal, which allows a stay of another four years.
To sum up, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic is a culturally rich and inexpensive destination for students looking forward to studying abroad. Obtaining a Laotian Student visa allows you to take advantage of what the country offers.
If you seek further knowledge and answers about becoming an international student in Laos, our team is available to serve you when you fill out our inquiry form.
Thanks for reading! But before you go, check out Laos Tourist Visa and Laos eVisa.