This article basically discusses Laurentian University admission requirements, courses, tuition fees, for international students and other essential information about the school. Laurentian University which was established on March 28, 1960, is a mid-sized bilingual higher institution in Greater Sudbury, Ontario, Canada.
While mainly focusing on undergraduate programs, Laurentian also houses the east campus of Canada’s newest medical school—the Northern Ontario School of Medicine, which was incorporated in 2005. Its School of Graduate Studies offers a variety of graduate-level degrees. Laurentian University is also the largest bilingual provider of distance learning in Canada.
Laurentian University is a destination of choice for many international students from all across the world. The school offers a wide range of top-calibre programs, and the opportunity to study in either of the country’s official languages and an excellent post-graduation employment track record in the province.
Table of Contents
- 1 Programs of study at Laurentian University Sudbury
- 2 Laurentian University admission requirements for international students
- 3 Laurentian University tuition for non-Canadian undergraduate students
- 4 Laurentian University tuition for non-Canadian graduate students
- 5 Laurentian University financial aids for international students
Programs of study at Laurentian University Sudbury
Laurentian University offers a wide array of study programs as follows;
Faculty of Arts programs at Laurentian University
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Law and Justice
- Equity, Diversity, and Human Rights
- English Literature, Media, and Writing
- Droit et justice (French program)
- Équité, diversité et droits de la personne (French program)
- Criminologie (French program)
- LPsychologie (French program)
- Sociologie (French program)
- Études interdisciplinaires (French program)
- Français langue seconde (French program)
Faculty of Science, Engineering & Architecture programs at Laurentian University
- Earth Sciences
- Forensic Science
- Computer Science
- Behavioural Neuroscience
- Biomedical Biology
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Interdisciplinary Science
- Mining Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Forensic Identification
- Mechanical Engineering
- Biologie Biomédicale (French program)
- Sciences pluridisciplinaires (French program)
- Architectural Studies English with French options
- Biologie (French program)
- Biochimie (French program)
Faculty of Education programs at Laurentian University
- Education (Concurrent B.Ed.)
- Bachelor of Education (French program)
- Éducation – concomitante (French program)
Faculty of Health programs at Laurentian University
- Sport and Physical Education
- Social Work
- Sport and Physical Psychology
- Health Promotion
- Indigenous Social Work
- Outdoor Adventure Leadership
- School of Kinesiology and Health Sciences
- Bilingual SLP: Là tu parles!
- Sciences de l’activité physique (French program)
- Kinésiologie (French program)
- Orthophonie (French program)
- Psychologie du sport (French program)
- Sciences de l’activité infirmières (French program)
- Service social (French program)
- Éducation physique et santé (French program)
Faculty of Management programs at Laurentian University
- Sports Administration
- Business Administration programs (BBA, Human Resources Management, Marketing, Accounting, Finance, as well as Online BBA)
- Administration des affaires (French program). Programs are available in Finance, Comptabilité, Gestion international, as well as Entrepreneuriat.
Laurentian University admission requirements for international students
As an international applicant of Laurentian University, you need to examine and ensure satisfying its country-specific requirements, language requirements, as well as faculty requirements.
Thus, the following are Laurentian University admission requirements for international students.
- Secondary School Certificate/GCE/Secondary School Leaving Certificate/Higher Secondary Certificate/Secondary Education Certificate/WASSCE or any Grade 12 equivalent depending on your country of origin. You also need to provide an official transcript to back up your secondary school certificate.
- Language (English/French) requirements for international applicants of Laurentian University
As a component of Laurentian University admission requirements, you are required to avail the result of a recognized and valid English language proficiency test.
However, you can submit any of the following English proficiency test results.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic: Least overall score of 6.5; No band below 6.0
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Least Internet-Based Test overall score of 88; TOEFL Computer-Based Test overall score not less than 230
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test: Minimum overall score of 70; No band less than 60
- Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic): Minimum overall score of 60
- Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST): Overall score not below 4.5; No band less than 4
- Cambridge Assessment English test (C1 Advanced/C2 Proficiency): Minimum score of 176
- DuoLingo English Test (accepted for a limited time due to COVID-19): Least score of 110
French program language requirements for Laurentian international applicants
You are required to fulfil the following conditions if you intend to apply for a French or bilingual (English & French) program at Laurentian University.
Hence, you need to;
- Have completed a 3-year full-time study in a high school, university or college that uses French for instruction. You are also expected to provide its supporting documents
- Achieve a score not below C-1 in Diplôme Approfondi de Langue Française (DALF)
- Attained a Grade not below C-1 (advanced) in Test de Connaissance du Français (TCF)
- Scored not less than C-1 in Test d’Évaluation du Français (TEF) written
Faculty requirements for international students who want to apply at Laurentian University Sudbury
Laurentian University Faculty of Arts admission requirement: Senior level English
Laurentian University Faculty of Science, Engineering and Architecture
- Architecture: Senior level English and 2 senior-level mathematics
- Computer Science: Senior level English and 2 mathematics at senior level
- Engineering: Senior level English, mathematics, chemistry, as well as physics
- Forensic Science: Senior level English, mathematics, chemistry, as well as biology
- Radiation Therapy: Senior level English, mathematics, biology, chemistry, as well as physics.
- Sciences: Senior level English. 1 senior-level mathematics and 2 senior-level sciences or vice versa
Laurentian University Faculty of Management admission requirements
- Sports Administration: Senior level English and 2 senior-level mathematics
- Bachelor of Business Administration: Senior level English and 1 senior-level mathematics
Laurentian University Faculty of Health admission requirement
- Midwifery: Senior level English, chemistry/biology and 1 senior-level social science
- Gerontology: Senior level English
- Social Work/Indigenous Social Work: Senior level English
- Nursing: Senior level English, mathematics, biology, as well as chemistry
- Sport Psychology: Senior level English
- Kinesiology: Senior level English, mathematics, as well as chemistry
- Outdoor Adventure Leadership: Senior level English and biology
- Sport and Physical Education: English and biology at senior level
- Health Promotion: Senior level English, biology, as well as chemistry
Laurentian University Faculty of Education admission requirement
- Education & Arts: Senior level English)
- Laurentian University Education & Music: Senior level English (You’ll need to undergo an audition)
- Education & Science: Senior level English. 2 senior-level mathematics and 1 senior-level sciences or vice versa
Education & the School of Human Kinetics:
- Sport & Physical Education: English and biology at the senior level
- Education & Social Work: Senior level English
- Health Promotion: Senior level English, chemistry, as well as biology
- Sport Psychology: Senior level English
- Outdoor Adventure Leadership: English and biology at senior level
Laurentian University tuition for non-Canadian undergraduate students
Below are the tuition fees applicable to undergraduate international students at Laurentian University Sudbury.
|Programs||international Tuition fee ($ Canadian Dollars)||Tuition, Incidental, SGA & UHIP ($ Canadian Dollars)||Tuition, Incidental, AEF & UHIP ($ Canadian Dollars)|
|For all full-time programs with certain exemption (30 credits)||25,960.00||28,076.38||27,735.95|
|Business Administration (30 credits)||27,839.70||29,056.08||29,615.65|
|Computer Science (30 credits)||27,258.00||34,618.68||34,278.25|
|Architecture (30 credits)||32,578.40||34,694.38||34,353.95|
|Engineering (36 credits)||35,453.25||37,569.63||37,229.20|
Laurentian University another fee:
- Incidental & AEF Association fees: CAD $1,019.95
- University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP): CAD $756
- Incidental & SGA Association fees: CAD $1,360.38
Laurentian University tuition for non-Canadian graduate students
Here are the tuition fees required by international graduate students at Laurentian University.
|Graduate degree programs||Tuition ($ Canadian Dollars)|
|G.Dip – Science Communication per 3 credits (27-credit program)||1,988.95|
|M.S. Com. Science Communication per 3 credits (33-credit program)||1,988.95|
|MA. Humanities and History per trimester (Thesis & Non-Thesis Streams)||7,180.50|
|M.Sc. Geology – Mineral Exploration (one year) for each trimester||7,180.50|
|M.Engineering (only for fast track program – 3 credits)||2,880.00|
|MBA for each 3 credits||4,053.70|
|M.S.W. for each 3 credits||3,222.45|
|MSc. Geology (Thesis stream) for each trimester||7,180.50|
|MA. Forensic Science for each trimester||9,181.00|
|M. Arch. Architecture (for each 12 credits)||8,222.00|
|Other Masters degree programs for each trimester||7,180.50|
|Tuition for all Doctoral programs for each trimester||7,018.60|
Other Laurentian University fees:
- Incidental and GSA Fees for each academic year: $1,063.89 Canadian Dollars
- Digital Material Fee (for each online course): $125 Canadian Dollars
- Inactive Fee for each trimester: $120 Canadian Dollars
- Activity Fee: $125 Canadian Dollars
Laurentian University financial aids for international students
As an international student, you are also allowed to secure a financial advantage through Laurentian University scholarships, awards and bursaries, which includes;
- Dean’s Entrance Scholarship
- Academic Excellence Scholarships
Student Services at Laurentian University Sudbury
Laurentian University enables its Canadian and non-Canadian students to get vast benefits and experiences through several services, which includes;
Laurentian University student support services
The following are support services available to Laurentian University students.
- Career and Employment
- Indigenous Student Affairs
Laurentian University campus services
Here are the campus services accessible to students at Laurentian University.
- Laurentian University Residences
- Laurentian University Bookstore
- Speech and Language Clinic
Laurentian University culture & lifestyle services
Below are culture & lifestyle services open to Canadian and international students at Laurentian University Sudbury.
- Laurentian University Study Abroad programs
- Francophone Affairs
- Student Associations
- Indigenous Student Affairs
- Laurentian University International Students services
FAQs about Laurentian University admission requirements for international students
Q. Where is Laurentian University located?
Ans – Laurentian University address: 935 Ramsey Lake Road, Sudbury,
ON P3E 2C6
Q. How do I submit the result of my English proficiency test to Laurentian University?
Ans – Via email or fax
Q. Does Laurentian University accept DuoLingo English Test?
Ans – yes, Laurentian University accepts DuoLingo English Test if your nearest IELTS/TOEFL test centres are closed because of COVID-19.
Q. How do I contact Laurentian University about admission?
Ans – Through email on [email protected]
Q. When will University Health Insurance Plan cover me?
Ans – From September 1 to August 31 of the following year
Q. What is a trimester in Laurentian University graduate studies?
Ans – September to December, January to April, as well as May to August