How to apply for a Malaysia Social Visit Pass (Short Term)
Malaysia is a beautiful country with many tourist attractions and a spot where several events like sports, business conferences, and religious activities are held. Therefore, if you are planning to visit the country for a short stay, you will need a Malaysia Social Visit Pass (short-term).
However, Malaysian Immigration doesn’t extend the validity of a visit pass except in emergency cases like accidents, health care, or official reasons.
Meanwhile, you have nothing to worry about because this guide will sail you through Malaysia Social Visit Pass (short-term) application and other vital information you need to know.
Facts about Malaysia
Malaysia is a Southeast Asian country on a strategic sea lane that exposes it to global trade and foreign culture.
The country is a land of many mouth-watering dishes and scenic places. It also has an interesting fusion of the modern world and traditional cultures.
The capital city of Malaysia is Kuala Lumpur. The population of Malaysia is approximately 31 million. The official language of Malaysia is Bahasa Melayu, but English is also widely spoken.
Malaysia’s economy is based on the export of natural resources, such as oil and gas, palm oil, timber, and rubber. However, the country is also a significant manufacturing center, with electronics and automobiles being two of the most important industries.
The Malaysian government has been investing in infrastructure and education to attract foreign investment and create jobs.
What is a Malaysia Social Visit Pass?
It is a legal document issued by the Malaysian immigration authority to foreign nationals at the point of entry to the country.
The social visit pass issued to foreigners is of two types. They are Malaysia Social Visit Pass for short-term and long-term Malaysia Social Visit Pass. You need a long-term Malaysia social visit pass if you plan to stay longer than six months in the country. But our focus will be on Malaysia Social Visit Pass(short-term), which is meant for a short stay in the country.
Reasons to apply for Malaysia Social Visit Pass (short-term)
Suppose you are to visit Malaysia for any of the activities listed below. You must get a short-term visit pass from the Malaysian immigration officer at the point of entry to the country.
- If your visit is on social events like marriage ceremony, burial, birthday, or family reunion
- If you are a journalist or a reporter
- If you’re scheduled for a business meeting or conference in Malaysia
- You want to write an exam in a Malaysian academic institution
- To embark on a feasibility study trip for your intending investment in the country
- You are part of the sporting crew to attend a sporting festival
- To visit a medical facility for a medical checkup
Documents required for a Malaysia Social Visit Pass (short-term)
You should hold the documents listed below because the immigration officer will demand them before you are issued a social pass.
- A traveling passport that will not expire six months after you depart Malaysia.
- A relevant Malaysia visa if you are from the visa-required country.
- Attach your return flight ticket
- A completed arrival /departure card that is issued to you at the point of entry Into the country
- Evidence of financial solvency throughout your stay
- Receipt of hotel booking or a rented apartment you will stay in Malaysia. You can also provide the address of your family member in the country as your proof of accommodation
- Attach all documents that are relevant to your visit to Malaysia. Examples of such documents are an invitation letter from a Malaysian organization, an FDI registration certificate, and others.
How to obtain a Malaysia Social Visit Pass (short-term)
The Malaysian immigration authority is the agency to issue you the social pass at the entry point to the country.
Malaysia Social Visit Pass (short-term) must be obtained regardless means of transportation you board to the country. The immigration officers are available at all border points of the country.
Here is the simple procedure to obtain the social pass:
Firstly, the immigration officer will welcome you on arrival at the border point
Secondly, the officer will request all the documents listed above to check if you are eligible to get a short-term Social Visit Pass
Lastly, you will be issued a pass by the immigration officers to access the country.
Validity of a Malaysia Social Visit Pass (short-term)
The Malaysian immigration authority determines the days your social pass will last in the country. Nevertheless, the decision is not based on personal sentiments; rather, the authority considers your nationality and the type of Malaysia visa you hold.
So here is the validity of the social pass with conditions attached:
- Visa-exempt nations can have a validity of up to ninety days.
- If you hold a Malaysia tourist visa, your pass will be valid for up to thirty days.
- If you are a citizen of a country that enjoys thirty days visa-free to Malaysia, the validity of your pass will be thirty days too.
- Chinese and Indian nationals with an entry visa have up to fifteen days of validity Social pass in Malaysia.
- The validity of your social pass will be fourteen days if your country enjoys fourteen days visa-free in Malaysia.
- On arrival, citizens of China and India with Malaysia visas will have a social pass visit valid for seven days.
Tips on a Malaysia Social Visit Pass (short-term)
Note that you can get a Malaysia Social Visit Pass (short-term) with a duration less than the maximum number of days you are eligible to stay in the country. It is because the immigration officers consider the purpose of your visit to the country.
Do not overstay your social visit pass in the country because the immigration authority doesn’t allow such. You will be fined and jailed if caught in such an act.
As earlier said q, the immigration authority in Malaysia rarely extends the validity of a social visit pass, but if you wish to try your luck, follow the steps below:
You should download the extension application form for the social visit pass, Form IMM.,55, and fill it out appropriately.
Attach documents that serve as evidence of why the immigration authority should grant you an extension to your social visit pass.
Then visit the nearest immigration office to your location in Malaysia, pay the application fee, and submit the application form. Finally, you wait for days for the authority to consider your application and decide.
Visa Requirements for a Malaysia social visit pass (short term)
A Malaysia visa is a significant requirement the immigration officer uses to uteruses your eligibility for a social visit pass. Nevertheless, some countries enjoy visa-free entry to Malaysia for a specific duration. Therefore, we would share with you countries that must hold a Malaysia visa before the citizens are issued a Malaysia social visit pass (visit term). So if you are from any country listed below, you must apply for a Malaysia visa in your home country before you visit the country.
- Burkina Faso
- The Central African Republic
- Côte D’Ivoire.
- Equatorial Guinea
- Hong Kong
- Sri Lanka
- United Nations (Laissez Passer)
- Western Sahara
Also Read: Malaysia Visa – Application, Requirements, Fees and Types
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I work with a Malaysia social visit pass?
You can’t work in but within apply for Malaysia employment pass or work visa to be able to work and get paid in the country.
How long does it take to process a Malaysia Tourist visa?
The time to process a Malaysia tourist visa depends on the embassy or the consulate and the number of applicants available. Some embassies process tourist visas within a week after submitting the application.
What is Malaysia eNTRI visa?
It means Electronic Travel Registration and Information. It is issued to only citizens from China and India to visit and stay in Malaysia for up to fifteen.
Can I be denied a social visit pass in Malaysia?
If your documents are incomplete or not genuine, the immigration officer has the right to deny you a social visit pass. So it is better not to take risks but rather ensure you have all the documents requested at the entry point.
Is Malaysia fun to visit?
The country is peaceful and friendly to foreigners. It is a hot spot for tourism activities; you can imagine the beautiful landscapes, warm beaches, and fascinating architecture designed in such a scenic environment. You won’t have a dull moment every day when you visit Malaysia for tourism, educational research, and other essential purposes.
What is Malaysia’s official currency?
Malaysian Ringgit is the official currency; its shortcode is MYR. One MYR is equivalent to twenty-two dollars. The highest banknote is RM 600 though the most common ones are RM 100 down to RM1
We have provided you with a comprehensive guide on how to apply for a Malaysia social visit pass. We hope you find it fulfilling and worth sharing with your loved ones.