A student pass is a document issued by the Malaysian government to international students who wish to study in Malaysia. This pass allows the student to enter and exit Malaysia for the duration of their studies. The Malaysia Student Visa and the Malaysia Student Pass refer to the same program. Therefore, by all definitions, the program is known as that.
The process of applying for a student pass can be daunting. Nevertheless, you don’t have to fret over that, as we’ve got you covered.
In this article, you will learn the intricate details of funding, requirements, and the application process for a Malaysia student visa.
In this article
Malaysia is a Southeast Asian country located on a strategic maritime crossroads that has given it great importance as a center of trade since the days of the Malacca Sultanate.
Malaysia’s population is a vibrant melting pot of Malay, Chinese, Indian, and other ethnic groups. The country’s official language is Bahasa Melayu, but English is widely spoken and understood.
Islam is the religion of most Malaysians, but Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, and other faiths are practiced freely in this moderate Muslim nation.
The Malaysian economy has traditionally been dependent on commodities like tin and rubber, but today Malaysia is a diversified and rapidly industrializing economy with significant manufacturing, financial services, and tourism sectors. In addition, Malaysia’s human development indicators are among the best in Asia, thanks in part to the country’s strong commitment to education.
Malaysia visa policy
Malaysia’s visa policy is designed to attract foreign investment and skilled workers while protecting its citizens from potential harm. The procedure requires that all visitors to Malaysia have a valid passport and a visa before they can enter the country.
Visas can be obtained from Malaysian embassies and consulates around the world or through an authorized visa agent. Visitors must also have a return ticket to their country of origin and enough money to support themselves during their stay in Malaysia.
The Malaysian government has recently implemented new rules regarding who needs a visa to enter the country. These changes simplify the process for business travelers and those with family ties to Malaysia.
How to obtain a Malaysia Student pass
The process of obtaining a Malaysian student visa consists of the following steps:
- Getting admitted into a Malaysian educational institution.
- Applying for a Letter of Approval (VAL).
- You can apply for a Malaysian visa if you’re eligible for one.
- Turning up at the immigration checkpoint in Malaysia (when you arrive).
- Successfully registering for your educational institution.
- Obtaining your Student visa at the Malaysia Immigration Department.
Malaysia student pass requirements
When you apply for an Approved Student Visa (i.e., your Visa Acceptance Letter) with the Immigration Department, you must attach these documents.
- The official copy of your passport, which records your first and last name, issuance period, and expiration date, must be valid for 12 months. All the previous visas you have used are listed on this page. The page gives further information on any amendments granted, such as name, explanation, or number.
- The letter of acceptance from your Malaysian educational institution.
- Academic certificates and transcripts that came before this one.
- The pre-arrival medical screening for overseas admission is proof of good health and wellness. You are required to undergo a medical pre-screening immediately preceding your travel.
- Yellow fever certificate. You may require yellow fever vaccination if you’re from a country where yellow fever is endemic or if you recently traveled to a country at risk of infection.
- A Personal Bond. This is a document all students of foreign nationality are under obligation to sign as a measure to direct away any violations of immigration laws in Malaysia. If you don’t break any rules, the bond will be returned.
- Proof of English language expertise. You must pass the English Language test and attach the certificate to prove your level of English language understanding. e.g., IELTS, TOEFL
How to apply for a Malaysian Student Pass
There are two ways to apply for a visa for Malaysia: You can apply online or in person. The process for applying for tourist visas to Malaysia is as follows.
- Locate the nearest Malaysian Consulate and check to see their open hours
- Download and fill up the Malaysia visa application form
- Gather the necessary papers and submit them with your passport, two copies of the Malaysia visa application form, and a copy of your VAL.
- Your visa will be delivered in the form of a sticker affixed to your passport.
Citizens of the following countries may apply for a Malaysian visa online: China, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Myanmar, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Bhutan, Serbia, and Montenegro.
Top Universities in Malaysia
Many top universities in Malaysia offer students a high-quality education. These institutions have a long history of academic excellence and are committed to providing their students with the best possible learning experience.
The National University of Malaysia is one of the country’s leading universities. It offers a wide range of courses and programs, and its graduates are highly sought-after by employers.
Another top university in Malaysia is the University of Malaya. This institution has a strong reputation for research and offers its students a broad range of academic programs.
These are just two of the many excellent universities in Malaysia that offer students a world-class education. So if you’re looking for a top-notch university to attend, you’ll certainly find one that meets your needs in this Southeast Asian country.
How to obtain the Malaysian Student Pass Approval Letter (VAL)
When you enroll in a Malaysian university, you have two options for how to apply for a Visa Application Letter.
- You can fill out an application online via the Education Malaysia Global Services website (EMGS).
- You can hand over the application to your university.
To apply, you must secure all documents which confirm that you meet the eligibility to obtain a student visa for Malaysia. Then, you must create an account on the EMGS website.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much is the student pass Malaysia?
The cost of living differs depending on your country of origin. The most expensive is between RM 810 (USD 1,560) and RM 1,560 (INR 14,000 27,000).
Can international students enter Malaysia?
All international students are allowed to enter Malaysia, except those from certain countries. The lists of restricted countries are subject to the most recent policy announcement by the Government of Malaysia.
Is it easy to get a student visa for Malaysia?
Applying for a Malaysian student visa is easy and fast. Overall, the entire visa process takes approximately four to six weeks. The Visa Approval Letter (VAL) processing time is 14 days, and the entry visa processing time is a maximum of one week.
How long is a student pass application?
An application for a new Student’s Pass typically takes one month (including the submission date) to process (excluding the submission date). However, some applications may take longer.
When an international students travel to Malaysia?
Malaysian Prime Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announced on Tuesday that Malaysia would reopen its borders to international travelers starting on April 1, 2022. As a result, those vaccinated against certain diseases will not need to quarantine upon arrival.
Can international students work in Malaysia while studying?
The Malaysian Immigration Department allows international students studying in Malaysia to work part-time for a maximum of 20 hours per week during semester breaks or during holidays of 7 or more days. Students can work at restaurants, convenience stores, and gas stations as long as the student passes are acceptable.
What if my student Pass expires in Malaysia?
If your current student pass does not expire within three months, the Immigration Department of Malaysia will allow you to renew it. However, they will be required to obtain a visitor’s social entry visa first, then obtain the renewed student pass.
What is the best month to visit Malaysia?
The best time to Visit Malaysia is sometime between December and April. With rainfall throughout the year, the climate is nonetheless hot and humid. The southwest monsoon climate of the area means short spells of rain at any time of the year, even out there. Accordingly, be sure to carry an umbrella with you everywhere you go.
How long does it take to get EMGs approval letter?
It should take around two weeks upon receipt of a complete application and payment.
Is IELTS required for a Malaysia student pass?
Yes. Although you must undergo a language proficiency test and display a certificate proving your English level is acceptable to enter Malaysia. Malaysia accepts IELTS certificates.
In conclusion, the Malaysian student pass has made it easier for students to travel and study in Malaysia. The process is simple, and the pass is valid for multiple entries.
This pass is a great option for students looking for an affordable way to travel and study in Malaysia.
It is a cost-saving way to see new places and meet new people. So we encourage you to apply for one.