in

Mexico Announces 56% Migrant Drop After Crackdown At US Border

Mexico Announces 56% Migrant Drop After Crackdown At US Border. As a result, thousands of National Guard troops has been deployed as part of the crackdown. Mexico has announced its successful curbing of the amount of undocumented migrants crossing into the United States by 56% since May. At a government news conference, foreign Secretary Marcelo Ebrard announced the reduction of numbers at a government news. The two countries has agreed to a 90-day window in June, in order to reduce the flow of migrants crossing into the United States.

Mexico Announces 56% Migrant Drop After Crackdown At US Border

The US President Donald Trump had threatened to implement tariffs on Mexican imports if they fail to act to stem migration. Officials, including Mr Ebrard are set to travel to Washington next week to discuss their efforts. Ebrard said about the meeting, “I don’t expect there to be a tariff threat on Tuesday.”

What was the deal?

In June, Mr Trump announced that the United States had reached a 90-day agreement with Mexico for the reduction of migrant flows from Central America heading north. The deal involved initiatives like closer bilateral co-operation and Mexico deploying thousands of National Guard troops throughout the country. In exchange for this, a US threat issued to implement punitive tariffs was suspended. Trump had promised that import duties of 5% would come into place, and if Mexico failed to act it will rise every month.

In July, the border arrest was down to about 27,000 from a high of more than 130,000 in may. This is according to US data. While drops in migration are typical during the summer months, officials have denied the decrease is due to seasonal trends. Last month, Mr Mark Morgan, acting Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Commissioner said, “It’s a direct result of the negotiations of this president and this administration specifically with our international partners.” According to media reports, the latest figure for August are set for release next week, the number has been cut again.

What has the reaction been?

Mr Ebrard again announced the sharp reduction on Friday repeated Mexico’s refusal to become e a “third country” – a change Mr Trump has previously pushed for. With this policy, Mexico would be required to take in asylum seekers who are heading for the US as well as process their claims on its own soil.

Ebrard told AFP news agency that “The Mexican strategy is working, we will not agree to be safe third country because it goes against our interests. It is unfair to our country.” Mr Trump is yet to respond to the latest figures released by Mexican government but earlier this week praised their efforts. On Wednesday,he told reporters he will like to say thank you to Mexico, the Mexican government, their great president of Mexico for helping us. He also added that they are helping us in a very big way. Far bigger than anybody thought possible.

Mr Trump has made a crackdown on illegal migration a key priority of his presidency since his 2016 election campaign. His stance has led to frequent run-ins with Democrats in Congress, with particular flashpoints including the conditions within migrant detention facilities and funding for the president’s long-promised border wall.

Mr Trump declared an emergency on the US-Mexico border on Friday to free up federal funding.