Migrate To Canada As A Medical Radiation Technologist

To become a Medical Radiation Technologist in Canada, you’ll need to be registered with the relevant provincial authority in Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan in order to be allowed to practice the profession and use the professional designation. It is a regulated profession in some provinces of Canada.

Even though the profession is regulated in the remaining provinces and territories of Canada, employers may still be required to provide proof of successful completion of the national certification exam as well as proof of registration with the provincial association.

The Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists (CAMRT) is the national professional association and certifying body. CAMRT‘s membership represent four disciplines: radiological technology, magnetic resonance, nuclear medicine and radiation therapy.

To assist internationally educated medical radiation technologists in deciding weather to live and work in Canada, the Canadian Association Of Medical Radiation Technologist (CAMRT) has developed Readiness Self-Assessment Tools for IEMRTs. This is an online tools that help those individuals assess if they are likely to meet requirements to practice in a Canadian context, and what working in a Canadian environment will look like. The online tool also provides information and guides internationally educated medical radiation technologists through a self-assessment for readiness to work in Canada.

There are numerous steps you can take before immigrating to Canada to improve your chances of success to practice medical radiation technology in your future country.

  • It is very important to have an overview of how Canada may view your international qualifications and also have a general sense of the Canadian labour market and workplace culture.
  • For enquiries, contact the Canadian Association of Medical Radiation Technologists to know the specific procedure to follow and the potential costs and time required to obtain a permit. In addition, enquire about the steps in the licensing process that you can take prior to immigrating and afterwards.
  • Contact the regulatory bodies mandated with regulating your profession in the province where you will settle that is, if you have completed your medical radiation technology education in a language other than English and French, enquire about any specific language requirements to work as a medical radiation technologist in Canada. If your had your professional training in English or French, they may ask you to send a confirmation from your training institution proving that the language of instruction and assessment in your program was English or French.
  • You need to have strong English or French ability (depending on your destination province). You may be tested for language competency. Even if you have a strong English or French h ability, it’s helpful to improve your language skills and enroll in language classes while you are in your home country and continue them after moving to Canada.
  • It is easier for you to gather and organize your official education, work and identify documents while still in your home country. Get more information on the documents you are required to bring for employment purposes or to continue education as well as verifying the translation of these documents. You might need to use the Canadian professional translation service.
  • Have adequate understanding of how the Medical Radiation Technology profession is practiced in Canada and also be familiar with the procedures, laws, and legislation that governs your profession in the province where you choose to settle.
  • Understand and know the name of your job in Canada and make a list of potential employers.
  • Get information on the process of getting a driver’s license in Canada and apply for it immediately you land, as it would be very useful when you get a job or even to get a job.
  • Make sure you attend a Canadian Immigrant Integration Program (CIIP) seminar which organizes “pre-departure orientation”. This can be very helpful for you and helping you know more about life in Canada.

You can also see how to get translated documents for Canada immigration.