If you plan to study in Mongolia, you will need to obtain a student visa. There are a few different ways that you can do this, depending on your nationality and the country that you are visiting.
The government offers good educational opportunities to international students studying in Mongolia. A student visa is not required for citizens of most countries to study in Mongolia as long as they have a valid passport, sufficient funds, and an accepted course curriculum. In addition, most universities in Mongolia offer English-language programs taught by native speakers. Admission requirements vary, so please consult the individual website for more information.
Below, we have outlined the process for obtaining a student visa in Mongolia. However, remember that some details may vary depending on your particular case, so be sure to check with your nearest embassy or consulate for more information.
In this article
- About Mongolia
- What is a Mongolia Student Visa
- Benefits of studying Mongolia?
- Mongolia Student Visa Exemptions
- Eligibility criteria to apply for a Mongolia Student Visa
- Steps to apply for a Mongolia Student Visa
- Required documents to apply for a Mongolia Student Visa
- Mongolia Student Visa Processing Time
- Frequently Asked Questions
Mongolia is a landlocked country in Central Asia. It has an area of 1,542,000 square kilometers and a population of around 3 million. The capital and largest city are Ulaanbaatar. Mongolia is rich in natural resources, including coal, iron, gold, uranium, copper, and other minerals. The country’s economy largely depends on mineral wealth. Agriculture accounts for only about 5% of GDP.
Mongolia has a long history dating back to the Middle Ages. It was part of the Chinese Empire from 609 to 1912 and then part of the Soviet Union until 1990. After independence from the Soviet Union, Mongolia experienced economic difficulties due to its poor infrastructure and lack of experience with free enterprise. However, since the turn of the century, Mongolia has made significant progress in developing its economy and improving its social welfare system.
What is a Mongolia Student Visa
A Mongolia Student Visa is a type of visa that allows foreigners to study in Mongolia. To qualify for a student visa, applicants must have a valid passport and be able to show evidence of financial support. However, students are required to register with the Ministry of Education and Science once they arrive in Mongolia and must attend school for at least eight months. After completing their studies, students must leave and remain in the country for 12 months.
Benefits of studying Mongolia?
Studying in Mongolia can be a fantastic opportunity for students to gain real-world experience, learn about Mongolian culture and customs, and develop their language skills. The country is rich in natural resources, has a diverse landscape, and offers a unique educational experience.
The cost of living is also low, making it an affordable option for international students. Here are some of the benefits of studying in Mongolia:
- Students will gain real-world experience by studying in a different country.
- By interacting with locals on campus, they will learn about Mongolian culture and customs.
- They will develop their language skills by studying with native speakers on campus.
- The cost of living is low, so international students can comfortably afford to live in the country while attending school.
Mongolia Student Visa Exemptions
Mongolia offers students several visa exemptions, allowing international students to study in the country without obtaining a Mongolian visa.
The most common exemption is for students attending an accredited university or college in Mongolia. Other exemptions include students studying agriculture, veterinary medicine, and engineering.
In addition, foreigners employed by international organizations or NGOs operating in Mongolia are also exempt from needing a visa.
Eligibility criteria to apply for a Mongolia Student Visa
The following are the eligibility criteria to apply for a Mongolia Student Visa:
- Be a citizen of a country that is a member of the International Organization for Migration (IOM)
- Reside in your home country or be temporarily residing there
- Ensure you have completed high school or equivalent
- Have no criminal convictions that would make you ineligible to study in your home country
- Submit an application form to the embassy or consulate of Mongolia in your home country. Applications can take up to two months to process.
Steps to apply for a Mongolia Student Visa
Are you looking to study in Mongolia? Here are the steps to apply for a student visa.
- Apply online at the Mongolian Embassy or Consulate website.
- Complete and submit the application form, including your passport photo and academic transcripts.
- Pay the visa application fee (currently $60).
- Wait for a response from the embassy or consulate, which may take up to two weeks.
- If approved, you will be notified by mail and need to print out your visa application form and other documents.
- Appear at a Mongolian embassy or consulate at least two days before your planned departure date to complete the visa formalities (e.g., provide your passport photo and Valid travel document).
- Enjoy your time in Mongolia!
Required documents to apply for a Mongolia Student Visa
To apply for a Mongolia Student Visa, you must provide proof of your enrollment at a qualifying school and the required documents below.
- Enrollment verification can be obtained from your school or the Ministry of Education website.
- You will need to provide the following documents: a passport-sized photo, an onward ticket (if applicable), and proof of funds (usually a bank statement).
- If you are applying as part of a group, each group member must submit an individual application with the required documents.
- The Mongolian consulate in your home country will process your visa application and send you an invitation letter confirming your admission to Mongolia.
- You must arrive in Mongolia 30 days after receiving the invitation letter to begin the visa process.
Mongolia Student Visa Processing Time
Mongolia’s visa processing times have been ranked the most efficient in the world. The country can process visa applications within two weeks faster than in other countries such as Canada or the United States. In addition, Mongolia offers a fast-track service for those who need their visa application processed more quickly.
The Mongolian government has prioritized improving the country’s visa processing times, and they are continually working to make the process even smoother. However, international students interested in studying in Mongolia should ensure they plan and apply for their visas as soon as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a Mongolian student visa cost?
A student visa for Mongolia is $160 for a one-year visa or $240 for a two-year visa. Students must also provide evidence that they have sufficient funds to cover their stay in Mongolia and will not be a financial burden on the country or on any other institution they may be attending while in Mongolia.
How can I get a Mongolian visa?
If you are a citizen of one of the 57 countries visa-exempt for Mongolia, you do not need a visa to enter the country. However, if you are not a citizen of one of these countries, or your passport does not have a valid visa extension stamp, you must obtain a tourist visa before arriving in Mongolia. To do this, you can either visit the Mongolian embassy in your home country or apply for a tourist visa at an immigration checkpoint on entry into the country.
The application process can take up to five working days and costs US$160. Once you have obtained your tourist visa, ensure to bring it with you when traveling to Mongolia, as it will be required for domestic and international flights.
How long can I stay in Mongolia?
When planning a trip to Mongolia, the most critical question is how long you can stay. Mongolia has an open visa policy, which means you can stay for up to 30 days without a visa. However, if you want to stay longer than 30 days, you must apply for a tourist visa at a Mongolian embassy or consulate. Visas are not hard to get but require paperwork and a fee. The maximum length of your tourist visa is six months.
How do I become a citizen of Mongolia?
If you want to become a citizen of Mongolia, there are a few steps you need to take. First, you must apply to the Citizenship and Migration Authority (CMA). You will need to provide basic personal information and documentation proving your identity and residency in Mongolia.
The CMA will then process your application and notify you of the next step. After you have been notified of your eligibility, you will need to attend an interview at the CMA. During this interview, they will ask about your background and why you want to become a citizen of Mongolia. Finally, they will issue you a citizenship certificate if everything is approved.
Finally, the Mongolian student visa is an excellent option for international students studying in Mongolia. The visa can be easily obtained and offers a variety of benefits, such as free tuition and room and board.