Mongolia Visa – Application, Types, Fees and Requirements
Whether you are an entrepreneur, a student, or wish to work abroad. If Mongolia is your travel destination, you may need a Mongolia visa.
Mongolia is a beautiful and unique country, one that many people dream of visiting. Perhaps, you just heard about the stunning landscapes and unique culture and decided to go on a tour. But, just before you pack your bags for Mongolia, it would be helpful to find out why you may need a visa to Mongolia.
And, regardless of how you ended up here, we are confident it is related to Mongolia’s visa. And we want to help with the information you may need.
This blog post will learn about the many types of Mongolian visas, their requirements, duration, and how to apply.
Mongolia visa policy
According to the Mongolia visa policy, all visitors traveling to Mongolia must obtain a visa before entry, depending on the visa type and the length of stay. With a few exceptions of certain nationals who are eligible for 30 to 90 days of visa-free entry for tourism purposes. Mongolia visa is exempted for holders of diplomatic passports from India, China, the UK, etc.
In addition, the type of visa required also depends on the purpose of travel, with options for business, tourist, and student visas.
Who needs a visa for Mongolia?
Nationals from most countries need a Mongolian visa for both short-stay and long-stay visits to Mongolia. The reason is that their countries of origin do not have a visa waiver agreement with Mongolia.
In other words, foreign nationals without visa-free access to Mongolia may require a Mongolian visa before entry or apply for a Mongolian visa upon arrival at the airport. However, not every nation is qualified to obtain a Mongolian visa upon arrival.
Mongolia visa exemptions
Nationals of certain countries are eligible for 30 days to 90 days of visa-free entry for tourism purposes without a visa. Many countries do not need to apply for a Mongolia visa within 14 days, 21 days, or 30 days to 90 days.
Mongolian visa-free countries
Some of these countries with visa-free entry include:
Visa-free entry for (90 days) of tourism
Argentina, Belarus, Serbia, South Korea, Ukraine, United States, Brazil, Ecuador, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Chile, Macao, Peru,
visa-free entry for 30 days (tourism)
Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Russia, Singapore, Turkey, Thailand, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Canada, Cuba, Germany, Israel
Philippines citizens have visa-free entry to Mongolia for 21 days and Hong Kong for 14 days.
Visa exempted Holders of diplomatic passports
You do not need a Mongolia visa (for 30day-90days) if you are:
- Diplomatic passport holders from countries with which Mongolia has diplomatic relations, such as Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Czech Republic, Estonia (biometric passports only), France, Italy, United Kingdom, and holders of diplomatic or official/service passports of Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cyprus, Greece, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Peru, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, South Korea, Switzerland, Turkmenistan, and Vietnam.
Holders of non-ordinary passports issued by international organizations
You are exempted from applying for a Mongolia visa if you are:
- A member of United Nations Laisse Passer (UNLP) The UNLP is valid for business and resident purposes and 30 days only.
- United Nations officials are exempt from visa requirements for business trips to Mongolia. The exemption is valid for 30 days.
- Holders of Chinese public affairs passports are also eligible for the exemption for 30 days.
- Spouses, children, and parents of Mongolian citizens.
- Holders of valid permanent residence permits in Mongolia
Types of Mongolia visa
Mongolia offers a variety of short-term and long-term visas depending on the purpose of your visit. So Mongolian visas can accommodate your needs, whether you are planning a business trip, a family vacation, or anything in between. Here is a breakdown of the different types of Mongolia visas:
This is a Mongolia visa type that allows visitors to stay for a short period and is ideal for tourists and business travelers alike.
In addition, the validity period of the short stay visas is 30day minimum to 90days maximum. The short-term visa is as follows:
- A Mongolian tourist visa is valid for 90 days and allows you to stay in Mongolia for leisure or business purposes. You do not need to apply if you have a visa-free entry to magnolia.
- Mongolia Business visa allows you to travel to Mongolia for business trips, conferences, meetings, etc. Unfortunately, you cannot work with a business visa. To work in Mongolia, you’ll need to obtain a work visa from
- Mongolia transit visa is for foreigners passing through the country on their way to another destination. The transit visa is valid for up to 10 days.
Foreigners who wish to stay for an extended period in Magnolia need to apply for a long-term visa and provide documentation that proves their legitimate travel intentions. There are several types of long-stay visas available, including:
- A Mongolia Student visa allows international students seeking to study in Mongolia, regardless of the length of their course of study. Students from visa-exempt countries may be required to apply for a student visa on arrival in Mongolia, provided they have the necessary documentation. Otherwise, they must obtain a student visa from a Mongolian embassy or consulate before traveling.
- Mongolia family visit visa. If you are visiting Mongolia with your family, you may be able to apply for a family visit visa. Provide evidence of your relationship with the person you wish to visit in Mongolia.
- A Mongolia work visa allows you to work in Mongolia for one year. Also, you need an authorization form from your employer at the Mongolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Once approved, you will be able to work legally in Mongolia.
Mongolia visa requirement(documents)
So you’re thinking of traveling to Mongolia? Great! But first, you’ll need to gather the meet the requirements. To apply for a visa, you’ll need the following documents:
- Mongolia visa application form: The application form; must include your full name (including given name and family name), date of birth, passport number, and expiry date. You can download the application form online on the Mongolia government’s official website.
- Travel document: A valid passport is required for all foreigners traveling to Mongolia. Your passport must be valid for at least six months after your planned arrival in Mongolia. And a recent passport photograph of yourself.
- Bank statements for the last six months to demonstrate financial stability. You should also ensure that you have enough funds to cover your stay in
- Proof of travel itinerary: You should include a copy of the flight ticket, hotel reservation, and other documents.
- Provide an approval letter, invitation letter, or social request if you want to travel for business, work purposes, or diplomatic missions.
- If you are a student who is applying for a visa to study in Mongolia, you will need to provide certified copies of all academic transcripts (if applicable) letter of acceptance from an accredited school or university in your home country
- A health certificate from a qualified doctor or medical specialist (if applicable)
How to Apply for a Mongolia visa
There are two routes to apply for a Magnolia visa: through an embassy or consulate or on arrival.
At the Embassy or Consulate
- Meet the visa requirements. You must meet the visa requirements and schedule an appointment with the Embassy or Consulate near you.
- Collect an application form at the consulate or Embassy or download a Mongolian application form on the government’s official website.
- Complete the visa application form with your full name (including the given name and family name), date of birth, passport number, and expiry date. And carefully proofread the document for any mistakes or errors.
- Prepare the required documents: Attach the documents to the application before you submit the form at the Embassy or send it through the mail. The consulate of Mongolia will review your application and may request additional information or clarification.
- Pay the fees and wait for the visa application process. If approved, return to the consulate for passport processing and departure instructions.
Mongolia visa on arrival: how to apply
Nationals of the following counties can obtain a Mongolia visa on arrival at the Ulaanbaatar international airport without a local sponsor or prior approval.
Spain, United Arab Emirates, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Finland, Greece, Ireland, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, United Arab Emirates
How much is the visa application fee?
Mongolia visa Application Fee is 50 USSD to 70 USSD for either single or multiple entries.
The application fee varies from the consulate and the country of application. Including whether the visa is a single or multiple entry visas.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to apply for a Mongolia tourist visa online?
Here is a guide on how to apply for a Mongolia visa online (evisa).
- Start by creating an account in the Mongolia evisa portal on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website. The evisa will allow you to access your application status and track your application processes.
- Fill out the online application form. Provide all the required information, including your passport number, name, nationality, date of birth, and contact information.
- Upload scanned copies of your documents, including your passport photo and visa application confirmation pages. If possible, include copies of other documents that support your application, such as letters from employers or educational institutions.
- Pay the visa fee with your card.
- You will get a notification or confirmation of evisa approval through an email.
How long is a Mongolian tourist visa valid for?
The Mongolian short-term visa allows holders to stay in the country for up to 90 days. Except for a transit visa that is valid for ten days. A long-term visa, like a work visa, is valid for one year to three years.
How long do I have to wait to obtain a Mongolia visa?
Mongolia visa processes take five business days to process after submission.
However, the processing time can vary depending on the individual’s nationality and the type of visa you applied for.
Can Indian get a visa on arrival to Mongolia?
No, only Indian nationals with non-ordinary passports have visa exemption to Mongolia.
However, Indian citizens must apply for a visa at an embassy or consulate before traveling to the country. The visa is valid for 30 days and can be extended for another 30 days if needed.
If you have questions about visas for Mongolia, please do not hesitate to contact the Mongolian Ministry of Foreign affairs.
Finally, remember to carry your passport with you at all times while in Mongolia. It may get handy for various transactions throughout the country.