As a foreign national who wants to work for a Mongolian employer or establishment, you must hold a valid Mongolia Work Visa (HG Visa). The process of getting this type of work visa has vast differences from that of other countries. As such, your employer takes on most aspects of the application process before you even have to do anything.
Undoubtedly, foreign workers from any country can fulfill their long-term career goals in Mongolia. Even though there are limits to the number of foreign workers hirable by a Mongolian employer or company, you can easily get a job in Mongolia provided that you possess the required qualifications. Moreover, working in Mongolia is advantageous to a great extent and fun and befitting for any lifestyle.
If you are planning to work in Mongolia, be prepared to work in industries such as construction, mining, agriculture, and livestock, as the economy of Mongolia depends on these sectors.
Proceed to find out more about obtaining Mongolia Work Visa.
In this article
- Why Work in Mongolia?
- Who Needs to Apply for Mongolia Work Visa?
- Mongolia Work Permit Requirements
- How to Get Mongolia Work Visa
- Step 1: Wait to receive an invitation letter from your employer
- Step 2: Apply for your work visa through a Mongolian diplomatic mission overseas
- Step 3: Travel to Mongolia and register with the Mongolian Immigration Agency
- Step 4: Obtain a Mongolian work permit at the General Agency for Labor Welfare Services
- Step 5: Get your employer to apply for your residence permit and visa extension
- Processing Time of Mongolia Work Visa
- Validity Period of Mongolia Work Visa
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why Work in Mongolia?
As there are many benefits to working in Mongolia, below are the top reasons to choose the country for employment purposes.
- Mongolia is a safe country for foreign nationals, even though it has some safety concerns. However, you have to take precautions at all times to avoid the most significant dangers from happening to you.
- Although there are limited employment opportunities in Mongolia, there are still chances of getting high-paying jobs. However, possessing vast years of work experience can make it easy to secure employment in Mongolia.
- Mongolia has some of the most spectacular scenery and culture in East Asia. The country has been able to preserve its culture, which makes it an ideal destination for persons interested in history.
- There are numerous places to catch fun in Mongolia. By visiting any of these places, you can see many beautiful art pieces, ride a horse, ski, and do other exciting things.
Some attractions in Mongolia include Khorgo Mountain, Khurgan Lake, Manzushir Monastery, Ugii Lake, Bogd Khan Mountain, National Amusement Park, Orkhon Waterfall, Khamariin Khiid Monastery, Red Waterfall, Flaming Cliffs, Central Dinosaur Museum of Mongolia, and Sky Resort.
- Mongolian employers pay impressive salaries and wages to their employees. Unquestionably, they pay their workers twice a month.
Who Needs to Apply for Mongolia Work Visa?
Mongolia Work Visa is a type of visa that allows foreign workers to enter the country for employment purposes. Of course, you can apply for this visa to work for a Mongolian employer or company.
The first thing to do to obtain a Mongolia Work visa involves seeking an employer to help you get authorization from the Mongolian Immigration Agency and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Additionally, Mongolia Work Visa allows for its holder’s multiple entries into the country.
Mongolia Work Permit Requirements
With all of the following documents, you can move on to request your employer to get authorization from the Immigration Agency and Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- A filled-out Mongolia Work Visa application form
- A passport with up to twelve months period of validity at a minimum
- Duplicate copies of your passport pages, which must feature all vital information
- Your employer’s registration certificate
- Your contract of employment
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A cover letter
How to Get Mongolia Work Visa
As noted, Mongolian employers must take the most steps toward getting their employees’ work visas from within Mongolia.
Here are the steps to be undertaken by both the employee and employer in obtaining a work visa for Mongolia.
- Wait to receive an invitation letter from your employer
- Apply for your work visa through a Mongolian diplomatic mission overseas
- Travel to Mongolia and register with the Mongolian Immigration Agency
- Obtain a Mongolian work permit at the General Agency for Labor Welfare Services
- Get your employer to apply for your residence permit and visa extension
Step 1: Wait to receive an invitation letter from your employer
To get a work visa for Mongolia, you must first request an invitation letter from your employer.
Moreover, your employer has to apply to the Mongolian Immigration Agency using several of your documents, including your Curriculum Vitae and employment contract. The Immigration Agency will then involve the Mongolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the General Agency for Labor Welfare Services.
Afterward, the trio will have to issue approvals and send a work visa invitation to the Mongolian embassy or consulate in your home country.
Step 2: Apply for your work visa through a Mongolian diplomatic mission overseas
After the agency has sent a work visa invitation to your country’s diplomatic mission, you must contact a consular officer at the nearest Mongolian embassy or consulate to apply for your visa.
Step 3: Travel to Mongolia and register with the Mongolian Immigration Agency
Next, you must pick up your passport once your HG visa application gets approved. You can then travel to Mongolia.
In no more than one week of your arrival, it is essential to register your new residential address with the Mongolian Immigration Agency at Airport Rd, Ulaanbaatar.
Step 4: Obtain a Mongolian work permit at the General Agency for Labor Welfare Services
Before you can work in Mongolia as a new foreign worker, you must procure a Mongolian Work Permit. This requires you to apply to the Mongolian General Agency for Labor Welfare Services.
Step 5: Get your employer to apply for your residence permit and visa extension
Without a doubt, an HG Visa has a validity period of 30 days until your employer applies for a visa extension on your behalf. Following a successful application by your employer at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, you can stay and work without restrictions for up to one year.
It is equally important for your employer to apply for your residence permit (long-term) to make this possible.
Processing Time of Mongolia Work Visa
The processing for a work visa to Mongolia takes four weeks to two months.
Of course, the application process has a long turnaround time because it involves two different agencies and the Mongolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They must review your work visa application before issuing their approval.
Validity Period of Mongolia Work Visa
Holders of Mongolia Work Visa can live and work legally in the country for up to one year. However, this only applies to foreign workers whose employers have completed the application process for their visa extension at the Mongolian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Ulaanbaatar.
On the contrary, the visa can be valid for not more than 30 days, supposing that your employer is yet to apply for your visa extension.
RECOMMENDED LINK: How to Immigrate to Canada from Mongolia.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I work in Mongolia?
Of course, you can work in Mongolia even as a foreign national. However, you must have received an employment contract from a Mongolian employer ready to facilitate your work visa application from within the country. With a valid Mongolia Work Visa, you can perform your job duties and explore anywhere in the country without restrictions.
Is it easy to get Mongolia Work Visa?
Yes, getting a work visa for Mongolia is quite easy, as it relies on a Mongolian employer’s request. Required documentation includes:
- A filled-out application form.
- A valid passport.
- Your employer’s registration certificate.
- An employment contract.
- A CV.
- A cover letter.
How long does it take to get Mongolia Work Visa?
It usually takes at least four weeks to a maximum of two months for a foreign national to receive a work visa for Mongolia.
Can I get Mongolia Work Visa without an employer?
No, there is no way a foreign national can obtain a work visa for Mongolia without an employer. The reason is that Mongolian employers must apply for their foreign workers’ work visas. Hence, you only need to visit a Mongolian embassy or consulate at a particular application stage.
What is the duration of the Mongolia Work Visa?
A work visa for Mongolia is valid for up to one year, provided that your employer has completed the application processes for your work visa extension and residence permit. Your employer must apply for both upon your arrival in the country.
Do I need to hire an immigration lawyer to get Mongolia Work Visa?
No, you do not need the professional services of an immigration lawyer to get a work visa for Mongolia. The visa application process is so straightforward that you wouldn’t need to hire one.
Most applications for Mongolia Work Visa are not declined, as Mongolian employers take charge of almost all steps. Holding this type of visa also serves as a great way to explore the country and its offerings as a foreign worker.
Work Study Visa team can assist your further when you take a minute to complete our inquiry and request form.
Thanks for reading!