United Kingdom, commonly called the UK is home to the third largest community of Canadians in diaspora. Not less than 90,000 Canadians live in the UK at the moment, and there are many more in the process of moving from Canada to UK every year.
Therefore, if you are thinking of moving from Canada to UK, whether to work, invest, or study, you can choose from the plethora of visas, the one that particularly suits you.
In addition, should you be looking for a visa for your partner in Canada or you desire to come live with a UK citizen who is family member, there are well tailored visas that can be provided for you as well as sound and precise immigration advice.
This post contains vital information that can assist you in making a smooth transition from Canada to the United Kingdom.
In this article
- Types of Visas available to move from Canada to UK
- Family Visas
- Partner Visas
- Business Visas to move from Canada to UK
- UK Skilled Work Visas
- Study in the UK: Visas to move from Canada to UK to Study
- Temporary Worker Visas required to move from Canada to UK
- UK Visitor Visas
- Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Requirement to move from Canada to UK
- Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK (ILR)
- UK Citizenship and Naturalization
- UK Visa Application Process to move from Canada to UK
- Required documents for a UK Visa application
- When to apply for your UK Visa
- Who can certify the eligibility of your documents as you move from Canada to UK
- Medical Health test Requirement for UK visa application
Types of Visas available to move from Canada to UK
There are several types of visas offered by the UK immigration that you can apply to when moving from Canada to UK depending on your peculiar situation and status. Below is a list of UK visa types.
- Spouse Visa
- Fiancé Visa
- Family Visa
- Study Visa
- Visitor Visa
Each of these visas has their peculiar requirements that must be satisfied adequately by a citizen looking to move from Canada to the UK before it can be granted.
This is required if you intend to join a family member in the UK, there are several family visas you can apply to, these include:
- Parent of a UK citizen or settled person: This visa is applicable to you if your British citizen child is below the age of 18 and living independently in the UK.
- Children of UK citizen or settled person: To apply for this category your child must be a dependent under 18years.
- Coming to care for an adult relative: To qualify for this visa, the relative must be a British citizen or settled person. Furthermore, the individual must provide support, accommodation and take care for you without expecting public funds for support.
- UK Ancestry Visa: Anyone who’s a commonwealth citizen and able to show proof that one of the grandparents was a UK citizen can apply for this visa.
- EEA Family Permit: This visa is for those who are not nationals of the European Economic Area (EEA), however, need to be united with their family in UK within six months after their application.
These visas are for persons engaged with, married to, or in civil relationship with a British citizen or settled person and want to move from Canada to UK to join their partner.
- Spouse Visa: This marriage visa gives you permission to join your partner in the UK for as much as 30 months. However, you must able to provide proof that your relationship is real and you satisfy the financial requirements.
- Fiancé Visa: The fiancé visa enables one of the intending couples access to enter the UK to get married within six months from the date of application.
Business Visas to move from Canada to UK
UK business visas are specifically designed for “high-value migrants”, like entrepreneurs or investors who want to invest or start a business in the UK. This category includes the following:
- Global Talent Visa: For those in a specific field like; science, medicine, engineering, arts etc. who are well known as leaders in their field.
- Innovator Visa: if you are an experienced business person and you wish to start a business in the UK, this visa is for you; however, you must have an investment capital of £50,000.
- Investor Visa: This permit requires that you have at least £2,000,000 to be invested in the UK before you qualify.
- Start-up Visa: This visa is for those individuals who want to move from Canada to UK to start their first business. The investment capital here has no limit; however, applicants must prove they have good potential.
UK Skilled Work Visas
This category of UK visas is only applicable to individuals offered a skilled job employment like; accountancy, IT, or engineering by a UK-based sponsor. This visa type is the major visa for skilled workers; nevertheless, there are several other different kinds of visas for skilled workers in the UK.
Under the Skilled Worker pathway there are four different visa types
- Skilled Worker Visa: For international workers with job offer in a position where there is no worker in the Shortage Occupations List or where the skilled workers in the domestic labor market in not enough.
- Intra-Company Transfer: This visa is for employees working abroad however, must transfer to a UK branch of their company.
- Sportsperson Visa: this visa is for athletes and coaches who intend to function in a role recognized and endorsed by the sports governing body of their country.
- Minister of Religion Visa: Visa for religious workers and missionaries required for employment within a faith community in the UK.
Study in the UK: Visas to move from Canada to UK to Study
These categories of visas are to move from Canada to UK to study as a student in secondary, college or university. As eligibility you must get a confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) from a UK institution.
- Student Visa
- Child Student
- Short-Term Study
Temporary Worker Visas required to move from Canada to UK
Temporary Work Visas: these visas are for those who wish to enter the UK for a limited amount of time and do not intend to settle in the country. They include the following categories:
- Charity Worker visa
- Creative and Sportspersons visa
- International Agreement visa
- Youth Mobility Scheme Visa
UK Visitor Visas
The visitor visa gives you access to move from Canada to UK as visit for business, leisure or for private medical treatment.
- Standard Visitor Visa : Required for
- unpaid business appointments or artistic work
- private medical treatment in the country
- Leisure purposes.
- Visitors in transit Visa: for those who want to pass through the UK to another country.
- Permitted Paid Engagement Visa: Visa recognized experts in their profession or field, such as; performers, academics and researchers.
Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Requirement to move from Canada to UK
You automatically get a Biometric Residence Permit once you:
- Get the permission to be in the UK for above 6 months
- You applied for extension of your current visa for at least 6 more months
- Made application to settle in UK as a citizen
- Want to transfer existing permit to a new passport.
Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK (ILR)
To be eligible for the ILR, you must have been in the UK for at least five years to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Nevertheless, if you are in the UK under a different visa, you may be able to claim your settled status before, or even after, this time limit.
Consequently, immediately you settle in the UK, you are no longer subject to any kind of UK immigration restrictions. You are free to visit, work and study in the UK and to travel out and re-enter the UK without applying for a visa.
UK Citizenship and Naturalization
You will be eligible to naturalization as a British citizen after five years of residence in the UK, or after three years, should you be married to a British citizen.
Upon receiving the Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK permit you become eligible for British nationality after another 12 month. Nevertheless, before you make application to naturalize in the UK as a citizen, you must meet other specific criteria such as:
- Proof of adequate knowledge of the English language
- Life in the UK Test exam to show your commitment to British customs
- Proof that you do not have any severe criminal record nor lived in the UK in breach of any immigration law.
- You haven’t been outside the UK for more than 450 days during your qualifying period
UK Visa Application Process to move from Canada to UK
Visa application procedures depend on the type of visa category. However, the majority of visa types have these common procedures.
- Fill and submit your application form online or by paper.
- Pay the application fee and submit your paperwork, including your form and supporting documents to UKVI.
- Home Office may contact you for additional documents.
- Submit your biometrics when you receive notice of appointment to have your biometrics collected.
- With your documentation the UKVI will perform thorough analysis of your application to check that you meet all mandatory requirements.
- Thereafter, you will get a letter stating the UKVI’s decision.
- Once your application scales through, you get your Biometric Residence Permit within ten days.
Required documents for a UK Visa application
The following documents must accompany your application to move from Canada to UK
- Completed UK visa application form with your signature
- Two photographs
- A valid passport
- Proof of sufficient finance to cover your living expenses in the UK
- Biometric information collectable at your nearest application centre
- Proof of Visa fees payment
- Certified translation of documents not in English language or Welsh
When to apply for your UK Visa
The earliest time is three months prior to the date you wish to travel to the UK. Meanwhile, Applications for Settlement can take more than 6 months to process and approved.
Therefore, you can not enter the UK till you get official permission. Thus, you should submit your application keeping in mind potential delays, particularly during national holidays.
Who can certify the eligibility of your documents as you move from Canada to UK
The following group of persons can sign and certify your documents:
- Religion ministers
- Bank or building society officials
- Dentists and doctors
- Teachers or lecturers
- Chartered accountants
Medical Health test Requirement for UK visa application
Before you move from Canada to UK you must provide a medical examination test, particularly the tuberculosis test for UK visa applicants. Nationals of some specific countries must undergo a tuberculosis (TB) test from an approved medical center if they intend to stay in the UK more than six months.
However, the following groups does not need chest x-ray TB test:
- Children under the age of 11
- Children advised against the test from a qualified pediatrician
- Pregnant women
- Returning UK residents only away for less than two years
- Applicants who have been for a minimum of six months in a country that doesn’t need TB testing.