As a US or Canadian citizen, you are eligible to apply for a NEXUS pass. This allows you to cross the Canadian-US border easily. In other words, you don’t have to stop at the border for any routine check.
The NEXUS is a Canada-United States program for pre-approved, low-risk travellers entering Canada or the United States (U.S.) at designated air, land and marine ports of entry. Thus, NEXUS members have the privilege of entering either country quickly and easily.
However, they must do so by using automated self-serve kiosks in airports, selected lanes at land border crossings, and by calling Telephone Reporting Centres (TRCs) before they arrive if they are travelling by boat.
Therefore, as a Canadian or American citizen, permanent resident or temporary resident, you have the opportunity to get a NEXUS card for easy movement. However, you must provide documents as proof of your identity.
In this article
- Eligibility criteria for NEXUS pass
- NEXUS pass application documents
- Proof of Identity for a NEXUS pass
- Proof of Status for American and Canadian Citizens
- Proof of status for Permanent Residents
- Proof of status for Temporary Residents
- How to apply for a NEXUS pass in Canada
- Steps to apply for NEXUS pass in Canada
- Steps to complete NEXUS pass application online
- Frequently Asked Questions
Eligibility criteria for NEXUS pass
To qualify for the NEXUS pass, you must meet some eligibility criteria. Therefore, all candidates must meet the following requirements:
- be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or the U.S., or a Mexican citizen who is also a member of the Viajero Confiable program.
- be admissible to Canada and the U.S. under applicable immigration laws
- pass background security checks conducted by Canada and the U.S.
- meet all of the other NEXUS requirements
NEXUS pass application documents
Apart from the eligibility criteria, you must also have some documents before you can apply. Of course, if you don’t have the required documents, even if you apply, your application will be denied. Therefore, you make sure that you find out the application documents for the NEXUS pass before appt. For instance, you will need to prove your identity. In other words, you must provide proof of your citizenship
Proof of Identity for a NEXUS pass
Sometimes, you may still apply for a NEXUS pass even if you don’t have a passport. However, with this card, you will only use your NEXUS card at land and marine borders, but not at the airport. In the absence of your passport, you can use your driver’s license. Although, you can still use many other government-issued IDs. Therefore, you can use any of the following as proof of identity:
- provincial or state driver’s license.
Proof of Status for American and Canadian Citizens
To prove your status as an American or Canadian citizen, you will use any of the following documents:
- American passport or Canadian passport
- provincial birth certificate or state birth certificate
- Canadian citizenship card (wallet-sized) or certificate (letter-sized)
- American certificate of naturalization or citizenship.
- If you are a citizen of one country (for example Canada) but have status in another country (the USA), you should provide proof of this to the authorities.
Proof of status for Permanent Residents
As a permanent resident in Canada or the United States of America, you must be able to prove your permanent residence status. Therefore, as a permanent resident of Canada, you must provide your Canadian Permanent Resident Card. On the other hand, as a permanent resident of the United States, your American “Green Card” will be needed as proof of your permanent residence status.
Proof of status for Temporary Residents
As a temporary resident of either Canada or the United States of America, you can also apply for a NEXUS pass, however, you must verify your permanent residence status. Therefore, you must be able to provide a visa for the country you don’t reside in. In addition to that, you must still submit that visa as part of your application.
Meanwhile, you will as well provide your work permit if you are not a permanent resident in the country.
Moreover, for proof of temporary residence, you will provide the following documents:
- valid visitor visa to either the US (B2 visa or another type) or Canada (Temporary Resident Visa)
- work permit for either Canada or the United States
- study permit for either Canada or the United States.
How to apply for a NEXUS pass in Canada
You can use the following steps and guidelines to apply for a NEXUS pass in either Canada or the United States of America.
Steps to apply for NEXUS pass in Canada
The steps below will help you to apply for a NEXUS pass. Therefore, make sure you follow them carefully. They include:
- Be sure you’re eligible
- Gather your IDs and documents
- Complete and submit your application
- Book your interview
- Attend your interview
- Receive your NEXUS card
- Activate your NEXUS card
Steps to complete NEXUS pass application online
Perhaps, you prefer to apply for your NEXUS pass online, you will need to follow the steps below:
First of all, you will have to select the conditions of your application. Therefore, you use any of these options:
- “Get started” when you have never applied for a NEXUS pass before.
- “I’ve already started”, that is, to continue an application you could not complete.
- “I’m already a program member” when applying for card renewal.
However, you must agree to the terms and conditions of the TTP website.
Then, you will fill in your personal information in the form. Therefore, you must provide the following details:
- full legal name
- date of birth
- location of birth (town/city, region, country)
- email address
- phone number
The next step is to indicate if you have ever applied for a NEXUS card before.
Once you have confirmed the above information, then, you can click “Continue”. However, you will be asked to confirm your personal information.
Of course, since NEXUS is jointly run by both the Canadian and US government, you will need to select your citizenship. However, if you are not an American citizen, the available programs will be displayed for you. But you must prove your admissibility into the United States.
Then, you can select the program you want to participate in.
Furthermore, you must agree to the process of the entire application process. Therefore, you must agree to give your consent for a personal background check on both sides of the border.
In addition, you must agree that the CBSA or CBP can refuse your application. Moreover, if you fail to agree, you won’t get your NEXUS pass.
The next step is to consent to the interview. Usually, you will provide your personal information again. Therefore, you must provide the correct information:
- Given name
- Middle name
- Date of Birth
- City of Birth
- Country of Birth
- State or Province of Birth
- Phone Number
- Email Address.
The ninth step is to provide the information which will help the CBP and CBSA physically identify you. This includes your:
- eye colour
- height in either metric or imperial
Next, you must declare whether or not you’ve ever used another name as the maiden name. Therefore, you have to provide a list of the previous surnames used.
The next step is to confirm your citizenship. However, if you have indicated that you are not American, then, the TTP website will automatically designate you as a Canadian. On the contrary, if you are not a Canadian or an American citizen, you will have to prove your eligibility for a NEXUS pass in the following ways:
- proving you are a permanent resident of one country
- proving you are admissible to the country you are not a permanent resident of
You must enter at least one phone number. Generally, the phone number will be used to verify your identity.
The next is to prove your citizenship. Though you have done this before, you need to re-establish it. However, if you haven’t yet stated your citizenship you will have to. Then, provide your proof of identity:
- naturalization certificate (US)
- certificate of Indian status
- Canadian citizenship certificate (or card)
- passport (recommended)
- state or provincial birth certificate
- certificate of retention of Canadian citizenship.
Now, you will have to provide your current employment status. This also includes your employment history for the last five years especially if it is different from your current employment.
In this step, you have to provide your travel history to countries other than Canada, the US and Mexico.
The sixteenth step is to answer questions concerning your criminal and travel history.
Once you have finished the NEXUS Card application, the TTP site allows you to view your application. Therefore, you can change certain areas where you made mistakes.
You have to review this page. Sometimes, you should pay a professional to do that. Then, confirm that everything is correct. If you end up submitting wrong information, it will lead to NEXUS pass refusal. Therefore, make sure to review it carefully.
Once you have finished the confirmation and everything is correct, then, you have to accept the privacy statements by the two governments.
If this application is for an adult, you must then agree to the fee. However, there is no fee for children under the age of 18 years.
Therefore, you have to pay the application fee using AMEX, MasterCard or VISA, especially if you want to use the TTO website to complete the application. Otherwise, you will look for a third party.
Finally, you have to confirm your payment. Then, print it for your records.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the cost of the NEXUS application?
There is a fee of US $50 for each applicant 18 years of age or older.
What is the NEXUS application processing time?
Generally, it takes about six to 8 weeks to verify your eligibility.
Meanwhile, your NEXUS card is valid for five years.