Supposing that you are looking for how to obtain North Macedonia permanent residency, here are answers to your concerns.
There are many ways to become a permanent resident of the Republic of North Macedonia. The most common way is to obtain a temporary residence permit and then qualify by staying in the country for at least three years. Being a permanent resident of North Macedonia gives several rights and benefits as citizenship. These include the privilege to move and reside anywhere in the country without restrictions and invite family members to join you from foreign countries.
Moreover, the Republic of North Macedonia has an immigration program that enables foreign nationals to move to the country as investors. This requires a minimum investment of US $500,000. Its entire application process takes about three weeks.
By reading this blog post, you’ll get to know all possible means to become a permanent resident of North Macedonia, including its eligibility criteria, requirements, and more.
Benefits of North Macedonia Permanent Residency
The following are some advantages of becoming a permanent resident of the Republic of North Macedonia.
- Permanent residents of North Macedonia can move freely within the country.
- Close relatives such as your spouse and dependent children can also become permanent residents by applying under family reunification.
- You will be eligible to apply for North Macedonian citizenship after eight years of becoming a permanent resident.
- North Macedonian permanent residents can get more government benefits compared to temporary residents.
Eligibility Criteria to Become a Permanent Resident of North Macedonia
To be eligible for North Macedonian permanent residency, you must meet the following conditions.
- You must have been a temporary resident permit holder of the Republic of North Macedonia. Moreover, you must have lived in North Macedonia for a minimum of three years.
- It is equally important to possess a valid passport.
- Furthermore, your purpose of applying for permanent residency must be to invest, work, get married to a North Macedonian national, undergo medical treatment, perform a professional duty, or acquire property in the Republic of North Macedonia.
Documents Required for North Macedonia Permanent Residency
During the North Macedonian permanent residency application process, you must submit the documents listed below to an embassy or consulate in your country of residence.
- Your original passport, which has to be valid
- A filled-out North Macedonia visa application form
- Passport-sized photos of 3 cm by 4 cm
- A valid medical insurance coverage
- Proof of reason to become a North Macedonian permanent resident
- Evidence of your means of subsistence
- Police clearance certificate to show that you’re clean of all kinds of criminal activities
- A letter of invitation from a North Macedonian employer/company, educational institution, a close relative or friend
- Employment contract and work permit (required by foreigners traveling to North Macedonia for employment purposes)
- A copy of your previous academic credentials, an acceptance letter from a North Macedonian educational institution, as well as a proof of language proficiencies (required by international students entering North Macedonia for study purposes)
- Proof of relationship with a Macedonian citizen (applicable to foreign nationals traveling for family reunification purposes)
- Written consent from the other parent (required by minors traveling to meet only one of their parents in North Macedonia)
How to Get a North Macedonian Permanent Residency
Here are the simplest steps a foreign national can take to become a permanent resident of North Macedonia.
- Put together all required documents
- Arrange a visa appointment with a Macedonian embassy or consulate
- Apply for a North Macedonian visa
- Submit required documents to an embassy or consulate
- Expect the diplomatic mission’s decision on your visa application
- Travel to North Macedonia and obtain your temporary residency permit
- Apply for permanent residency three years afterward
Step 1: Put together all required documents
To obtain North Macedonia’s permanent residency, you must first assemble all the documents required by the diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate) to determine your admissibility.
Such documents include your original passport, proof of health insurance coverage, an invitation letter, etc.
Step 2: Arrange a visa appointment with a Macedonian embassy or consulate
The second step toward becoming a North Macedonia permanent resident is to set an appointment with a North Macedonian embassy or consulate. The diplomatic mission has to be in a close location to you.
Step 3: Apply for a North Macedonian visa
Next, you must apply for a visa to the Republic of North Macedonia. Undoubtedly, the visa is the document that will grant you legal entry into the country before you can obtain a residence permit.
Step 4: Submit required documents to an embassy or consulate
The fourth step in becoming a permanent resident of North Macedonia requires you to give in all required documents at the embassy or consulate.
Step 5: Expect the diplomatic mission’s decision on your visa application
The next step to take involves waiting for the Macedonian embassy to decide on your visa application. It often takes up to a week to receive a decision from a Macedonian diplomatic mission.
Step 6: Travel to North Macedonia and obtain your temporary residency permit
Once approved by the Macedonian embassy, you can proceed to pay for your flight ticket to the Republic of Macedonia.
You must get your temporary residence permit from the country’s Ministry of Internal Affairs upon arrival.
Step 7: Apply for permanent residency three years afterward
To eventually become a permanent resident of North Macedonia, you must live within the country for up to three years. This automatically qualifies you for a Macedonian permanent residency permit.
North Macedonian Investment Residency Program
Foreign nationals can become permanent residents of North Macedonia by investing in a Macedonia-based business or company. To qualify for this program, you need to invest at least $500,000 in the business.
Getting a North Macedonian permit through this program is quick as its processing time takes approximately three weeks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Who can enter North Macedonia without a visa?
A few categories of foreign nationals do not need a visa while entering the Republic of North Macedonia. These include persons who possess a UN passport and those who hold a diplomatic passport of Belarus, China, Georgia, India, Iran, Indonesia, Mongolia, and Peru. You also do not need a visa, supposing you possess a passport for public affairs issued by Mongolia, China, Belarus and Georgia. There is also an exemption for persons with a valid residence permit from an EU/EEA Member State, Schengen Area country, or Switzerland. Suppose you hold a valid UK, American or Canadian visa. In that case, you are also eligible to cross North Macedonia’s border visa-free for up to two weeks.
Why should I move to North Macedonia?
There are many reasons to consider moving to North Macedonia. Among these is that the country is safe, has a low cost of living, great healthcare and educational system, and offers a high quality of life. Additionally, North Macedonia has plenty of tourist attractions that would enable you to experience a great fun time.
Who decides on applications for North Macedonia permanent residency?
The North Macedonian Ministry of Internal Affairs decides on all applications for permanent residency. You can visit the ministry at Skopje 1000, Republic of North Macedonia, or contact them via phone on +389 2 311 7222.
How long does it take to become a permanent resident of North Macedonia?
It takes at least three years for a foreign national to become a permanent resident of the Republic of North Macedonia. This applies to foreigners who initially enter the country as temporary residents for study or employment purposes. However, supposing that you’re entering North Macedonia to reunite with a family member, you may enter the country directly as a permanent resident.
Can my application for North Macedonia permanent residency be refused?
Of course, North Macedonia’s Ministry of Internal Affairs can refuse permanent residency applications for certain reasons. These include ineligibility for the criteria of becoming a Macedonian permanent resident and inadmissibility because of your past criminal records. The ministry can also deny your application if you don’t provide all of the required supporting documents.
How do you become a North Macedonian citizen?
To become a citizen of the Republic of North Macedonia, you must first be a legal resident of the country. Afterward, you will qualify for citizenship after becoming a permanent resident of Macedonia for eight years. After that, you’ll have to apply for citizenship through North Macedonia’s Ministry of Internal Affairs.
Is it easy to become a permanent resident of North Macedonia?
No, it’s not easy to become a Macedonian permanent resident. To be eligible for residency, you must possess a valid visa, and residence permit, as well as fulfill other requirements.
In summary, obtaining North Macedonia permanent residency involves a quite easy process. It attracts many benefits. Besides, the Republic of North Macedonia is an amazing country to raise your family, set up or expand your business, as well as to have a superb sightseeing experience.
We believe that you enjoyed the read and make the most of the information on this blog post to become a permanent resident of North Macedonia. Thanks for reading!