Ontario Immigration is facilitated by the Federal and Provincial Government through Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) majorly under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP). Every year, the ministry via its immigration office release news inviting eligible international applicants to submit an application for any of the immigration streams, in three immigration categories: Human Capital, Employer Job Offer and Business Immigration. Each category is further divided into several streams.
About Ontario, Canada
Ontario is the largest, most populous and arguably the most developed province in Canada with its administrative capital at Ottawa. Toronto is the biggest city in the province with commercial, academic, industrial and all forms of business and employment activities. With its beautiful landscape surrounded by bodies of waters in form of ocean, lakes and more; this city is top of Canada’s top destination for immigrants since 2005. Study show that about 60% of the province’s land is classified as forested land, representing 2% of the world’s forests. The population of cities in Ontario migrated to Canada majorly through immigration from various countries, hence there is multicultural diversity among the inhabitants.
Apart from temporary resident and entry visa applications, the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) help people all over the world – students, experienced skilled professional workers, and government representatives to transfer their experience, education and expertise to settle or live in Canada by becoming permanent residents first, and then citizens after a number of years. The Ontario Immigration program is handled by the Federal Government through its agency, the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to help Province of Ontario meet its labour market and economic development goals.
Requirements for Ontario Immigration
If you are interested to apply for Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP), you will need to have the following requirements, most of which are eventually tied to age of applicants, economic status, education, experience, English or French Language IELTS results and professional engagements. The OINP eligible criteria include:
- Employment or Job Offer: Foreign Worker Stream, International Student Stream and In-Demand Skills Stream.
- Human Capital: The human capital category has two sub-categories, the international graduate streams and Ontario’s Express Entry streams each of which have different requirements for English and French-speaking International or Canadian Graduates (Bsc, MSc and PhD).
- Business Category: Skilled Trades, Corporate and Business (Entrepreneur) streams.
Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) Streams Status
|Human Capital Priorities||Open||Linked to the federal Express Entry system|
|French-Speaking Skilled Worker||Open||Linked to the federal Express Entry system|
|Skilled Trades||Open||Linked to the federal Express Entry system|
|Employer Job Offer||Open||Job offer required under all three sub-streams|
|International Student (Masters Graduate)||Closed||Stream opens and closes throughout the year|
|International Student (PhD Graduate)||Open||Stream opens and closes throughout the year|
|Business Immigration (Corporate)||Open||Eligible candidates may apply directly|
|Business Immigration (Entrepreneur)||Open||Eligible candidates submit an EOI and must wait for an invitation to apply|
How To Apply: Ontario Immigration Provincial Nominee Program
Following April 2019 changes in Ontario PNP, three steps are taken in order to complete online or offline application for Government of Ontario Immigration programs.
- Eligibility Check: Candidates are required to confirm that they qualify for the stream of application they are interested in. Please use the CRS tool or similar tools to verify that you meet the minimum requirement to apply for the category you like.
- Apply to be Nominated by Ontario Province: To be considered for nomination (potential ITA), you need to apply online. The application cost for:
- the employer job offer and human capital streams is either $1,500 or $2,000
- the business streams is $3,500 per business partner or key staff applicant
- Submit Documents to Federal Government (IRRC): Upon selection, you are issued an invitation to apply (ITA), at this stage you are welcome to submit all documents for Permanent Residence (PR) to the Federal Government through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). The Government of Canada makes the final decision on who becomes a permanent resident.
Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program Processing Times
The processing time for Canada immigration applications depend on how long it takes for the province to issue the nomination and then how long it takes for the permanent resident visa to be processed and issued. As at May 2019, Ontario Provincial Nominee processing time is between 2-3 months. Usually, skilled immigration category are processed faster compared to those in the business streams.Share with friends