Ontario trucking industry is benefitting from the latest transformation made to the province’s Employer Job Offer In-Demand Skills Stream.
The NOC code for transport truck drivers (7511) was one of three occupations included to the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program streams on July 2019.
It means that well-experienced truck drivers with a valid job offer in Ontario can now get provincial support in getting Canadian permanent residence.
Ontario trucking industry faces a huge problem with labour shortages, finding it hard to attract a younger generation of driver into the occupation.
As part of the changes in the month of July, Canada’s most populous province also step down the work experience requirement through the streams, to nine (9) months within the past three years.
Previously, candidates were expected to have twelve (12) months of work experience in the last three years.
The In-Demand Skills Stream changes are part of a series of new proposals released in the Ontario budget in April.
After public consultations that ended on May 30, 2019, Ontario confirmed the changes or transformations in an OINP announcement on July 8, 2019.
The other two occupations included into the stream in July 2019 were:
- NOC 3413: Nurse aides, patient service associates and orderlies
- NOC 4412: Home support workers and related occupation, excluding housekeepers
Eligible Occupations For The In-Demand Skills Streams
|National Occupations Classifications||Job Title|
|NOC 3413||Nurse aides, patient service associates and orderlies|
|NOC 4412||Home support workers and related occupation, excluding housekeepers|
|NOC 7441||Residential and commercial installer and servicers|
|NOC 7511||Transport truck driver|
|NOC 7521||Heavy equipment operators (except crane)|
|NOC 8431||General farmworkers|
|NOC 8432||Nursery and greenhouse worker|
|NOC 8611||Harvesting labourer|
|NOC 7611||Construction trades helper and labourers|
|NOC 9462||Industrial butchers, meat cutter, poultry preparers, related worker|
Requirements For The In-Demand Skills Streams
This stream targets applicants with specific skilled in-demand in Ontario. To qualify, candidates must have:
- A permanent and full-time job offer under certain occupations in the construction or agriculture sector and meets the median wage in Ontario for the occupations and in a position that is relevant or related to the business. For those already working in the position, the proposed wage must be greater or equal than the current wage being paid.
- Nine (9) months of cumulative work experience in the previous three years in one of the eligible occupations. Experience should be paid and full-time or the equivalent amount in part-time work in Ontario province.
Note:- Seasonal work doesn’t count.
- The equivalent of Canadian high school educations or higher.
- Valid license or certificate at the time of application for any claimed work experience that require it.
- Minimum CLB/NCLC 4 in French or English in all language competencies.
- Enough funds and/or income in Ontario to cover settlement expenditures for you and your family members.
- Live abroad, or be studying, working, or visiting Canada on a valid permit;
- Must have intentions to settle in Ontario.