How to Pay Canadian School Application Fee from Abroad
It can be challenging for prospective international students seeking admission into Canadian schools to pay the application fee online. The currency conversion and unavailability of an acceptable payment method can make it challenging to complete the process.
In this article, we will discuss how to pay the application fee for various schools in Canada. We will also cover the cost of applying to each school and the best payment methods. Let’s get started!
What is the application fee?
The application fee is the cost of applying to a University or College. Its purpose is to cover the administrative cost of processing application forms sent in by prospective international students. It can run into hundreds of dollars depending on your choice of University and program you to want to study.
Although the application fee for most Canadian schools is in Canadian dollars, the actual amount payable by students applying from other countries depends on the currency conversion rate on the day of payment.
Canadian University Application Fee
The University application fee usually ranges from CAD$100 to CAD$200. However, some Universities, such as McGill University and the University of Toronto, charge a higher fee of up to CAD$300. The application fees for most graduate programs are also higher, ranging from CAD$100 to CAD$130.
Undergraduate university fees range from the University of Ottawa CAD$110, University of Saskatchewan (CAD$120), University of Manitoba (CAD$150), University of Alberta ($150), and University of Toronto ($180).
Canadian College Application Fee
The application fee for most colleges in Canada ranges from CAD 80 to CAD 100. The only exception is Centennial College (CAD 120). Again the amount payable for admission depends on the currency conversion rate on the day of payment.
Admission fee payment methods in Canada
Canadian University or College application fee can be paid online via credit card, debit card, PayPal (for some schools), or wire transfer (electronic fund transfer). Most schools accept Visa and MasterCard, while some also accept American Express and Discover. However, it is essential to note that not all payment methods are available in all countries. So, if you are an international student, check with your local banking institution to see which payment method is acceptable for transferring money to Canada.
Best way to pay University application fee abroad
The best way to pay the University application fee is by credit card or debit card, as these payment methods offer the most convenient and quickest way to complete your University application. However, if you do not have access to these payment methods in your country of residence, you can use wire transfer (electronic fund transfer) as the second best option.
Specific Application fees for top Canadian schools
The cost of admission in Canadian schools vary, depending on the school and program you are applying to. But one thing is for sure – it’s more expensive than applying to a school in your home country! Also, most schools require international students to pay an application fee regardless of their country.
Typical International Application fee for Canadian Universities
Now let’s briefly discuss the cost of admission to popular Canadian schools:
- York University – York University application fee for international students is CAD 150.
- University of Toronto – UofT application fee for international students ranges from CAD 90-125, depending on the program you are applying to.
- McGill University – McGill’s application fee for all students (including Canadians and Permanent Residents) is CA$110.
- The University of British Columbia – UBC application fee for international students is CAD 150.
- University of Alberta – UAlberta application fee for international students is CAD 100.
- University of Calgary – UCalgary application fee for international students is CAD 125.
- University of Waterloo – UW application fee for international students is CAD 100.
- Simon Fraser University (SFU) – SFU application fee for international students is CAD 151.50, which looks like a combination of the processing and convenience fees.
- Queen’s University – Queen’s University application fee for international students is CAD 100.
- University of Ottawa – UOttawa application fee for international students is CAD 200.
- Dalhousie University – Dalhousie University application fee for all students (including Canadians and Permanent Residents) is CA$105.
- Ryerson University – Ryerson University application fee for international students is CAD 150.
- Yorkville University – Yorkville University admission fee for all students (including Canadians and Permanent Residents) is CA$195.
- Dalhousie University – Dalhousie University application fee for international students is CAD 105.
- University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon – U of S application fee for international students is CAD 90.
As you can see, the cost of admission into Canadian universities ranges from CAD$90 to CAD$200. The most common application fee is around CAD$100-110. Keep in mind that these are just the general application fees, and some schools may have additional costs.
Typical Amount for Application fee to Canadian Colleges
Some Canadian Colleges are more popular than others among international students; some of the top colleges in Canada include:
- Seneca College’s application fee for international students is CAD 95.
- Vancouver Community College (VCC) – VCC application fee for international students is CAD 110.
- Sheridan College admission fee for all students (including Canadians and Permanent Residents) is CA$100.
- Centennial College, Toronto – Centennial College application fee for international students is CAD 140.
- Mohawk College, Hamilton – Mohawk College application fee for all students (including Canadians and Permanent Residents) is CAD 120.
- The George Brown College of Applied Arts and Technology in Toronto charges an international student application fee of CAD 150.
- Humber College admission fee for all students (including Canadians and Permanent Residents) is CA$100.
- Langara College, Vancouver – Langara College application fee for international students is CAD 125.
As you can see, most Canadian colleges’ application fee is around CAD$100. However, some colleges (such as Yorkville University) charge more while others (like VCC) charge less.
Will I get a refund if my admission is unsuccessful?
Many students wonder if they will get a refund on their application fee, should they be unsuccessful in gaining admission. Unfortunately, the answer is usually no. In most cases, application fees are not refundable, even if the student does not attend school. There may be some exceptions (for example, if the student can provide proof of extenuating circumstances), but in general, the application fee is not refundable.
So, what’s the best way to pay for my application?
The best way to pay for your application will vary depending on your location and which school you are applying to. Most cases, payment can be made online via credit card or PayPal. However, processing fees may apply, so make sure you know what your payment will cost before submitting it.
If you do not have access to PayPal or a credit card, other options are also available for you. For example, you can use Visa Prepaid Gift Card for application fee payment, and international students can also buy International Money Orders from their bank to pay the application fee.
Check if your school offers direct bank transfer as a payment option and contact them directly to find out how much money you need to send, the exchange rate they offer, and processing fees (if any). Choose the best payment method that works for you.
Also Read: How To Get Translated Documents For Canada Immigration
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I pay my University application fee in Canada?
There are a few ways to pay your University application fee in Canada. You can pay by credit card, debit card, or through a third-party payment service like PayPal. If you’re using a third-party payment service, check with your provider to see if they charge additional fees.
How can I pay my Canadian college fees from India?
There are a few options for paying your Canadian college fees from India. You can use a bank transfer, wire transfer, or credit card. You can also use a service like Western Union or MoneyGram.
How do international students pay for school in Canada?
International students can pay for school in Canada in a few different ways. One way is to apply for scholarships and bursaries through the school or through external organizations. Another way is to take out student loans from Canadian financial institutions. And finally, many students also work part-time or full-time jobs to help cover the cost of their education.
Can we pay the application fee using a debit card?
Yes, you can pay the application fee using a debit card.
In conclusion, paying the Canadian school application fee abroad is not as difficult as it may seem. Following the steps outlined in this article can make the process quick and easy. So what are you waiting for? Start your Canadian school application today!
Best of luck!