What are the differences between a PG Diploma and a Master degree you might ask? If you are searching to know the comparison between a PG diploma and a Master’s degree in Canada, the information contained here will better position you to make the right choices concerning your academic goals and your career in the long run.
Aside from guiding your career decisions, you will learn which program is a better option for you to get a job after school and subsequently, permanent residence (PR) in Canada.
PGD vs MSc DEGREE
Whichever you have, a Post Graduate Diploma or a Master’s degree, here’s what you can do.
- With a low score in your bachelor’s program and low finance, PGDM will be a better option compared to a master’s degree for you.
- Have good grades with enough finance? then a master’s degree is certainly a good choice for you to Canada.
- A strong student profile? However, short on finance, you can make an application for scholarships for a master’s degree in Canada.
|PG Diploma||Master’s Degree|
|Duration||1 to 2 years||1.5 to 2 years|
|Tuition Fee||10,000 to 30,000 CAD||10,000 to 40,000 CAD|
|GPA / Percentage||Min 2.3 GPA / 60%||Min 3.0 GPA / 70%|
|Undergraduate Credits||3 or 4-year undergraduate degrees||4-year undergraduate degrees|
|Value of Degree||Academically lesser than Masters||Academically higher than PG Diploma|
|Work Permit||1 year or 3 year (depends on program duration)||3 years|
|PR Points||15 points||30 points|
|Future Prospects||Job/ Master Degree||Job|
|Will I get Job in Canada?||Yes||Yes|
|What do you suggest?||Best for students with low grades and less finance.||Best for students with good grades and good finances.|
Note: With good grades, you can always apply for scholarships in Canada, especially if you have a limited budget.
COMPARISON BETWEEN A MASTER’S DIPLOMA AND A MASTER’S DEGREE IN CANADA
- A PG diploma program usually is between the duration of 1 to 2 years based on the study program. Whereas, it is between 1.5 to 2 years for a course-based masters degree program. While a thesis-based master degree program is often 2 years.
- Masters tuition fees are higher compare to diploma tuition fees. PG diploma fees range from CAD7k to CAD20k per year while for Masters, it is between CAD13k to CAD25k.
- A Masters degree, gets you around 30 PR points, whereas, a postgraduate diploma in Canada, gets you about 15 points before filing for PR.
- A Masters degree IELTS requirement is 6.5 bands in each module & overall is 7 bands. While for Postgraduate diploma it is 6 bands in each module & 6.5 bands overall.
LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION
- A Masters degree requires that you provide at least 2 letters of recommendation, however, for Postgraduate diploma, there is no requirement for any Letter Of Recommendation (LOR).
- Master’s & Postgraduate diploma degrees are awarded by universities. Whereas only colleges awards PG diploma certificates in Canada.
VALUE OF DEGREE
- For obvious reasons, master’s degree has a higher value than PGDM with regards to academics and also in the industry or market place.
- For master’s degree, the most common intake is September, nevertheless, a few still allow January intakes. For PG diploma, there are basically three intakes; September, January, and May.
- A one year PG diploma programs grants you one year work permit, whereas a two years PG diploma program or master’s degree grants you 3 years work permit in Canada.
- Universities require a 4 year undergraduate degree to qualify for a PGDM or MSc program. While, colleges accepts 3 or 4 year undergraduate degrees for PGDM
- The minimum requirement for Master’s degree eligibility is 70% or 3.0 GPA minimum without any backlog or supplement. For postgraduate diploma, the minimum requirement is 60% or 2.3 GPA.
ONE YEAR PROGRAM vs TWO YEARS DIPLOMA PROGRAM IN CANADA: WHICH PROGRAM IS BETTER?
There are 2 main differences between a one year diploma program and a two years diploma program in Canada.
- Firstly, is cost of education: 2 years PG diploma is more expensive than a one year PG diploma in Canada.
- Secondly, is Work Permit: With a one year diploma studies, you are liable to obtain 1 year of work permit, while with two years of diploma studies, you get threes duration of work permit.
Next, we will discuss the tips that will help you get PR in Canada with a one-year program.
Here are five tips, you can apply to make a one year program enough for you to get permanent residence in Canada.
It is a known fact, that a two year program or four year program offers virtually a hundred percent guarantee that you get a PR.
- Go to any of the schools in Atlantic Canada.
- Make sure to study there for a minimum of two years.
- Obtain your postgraduate work permit.
- If you commit to a contract with an Atlantic employer and you get your PR even without a work experience.
FIRSTLY: GRACE PERIOD
Upon graduation, you have 90 days to file for your PGWP.
During this period you can find an employer. After finding one, you can make application for your postgraduate work permit. This way you are making use of that 1 year requirement.
The requirement is one year of work experience before you get a permanent residence, that’s exactly 1,260hrs in a year and 30 hours a week, every week in that one year.
SECONDLY: YOUR PARTNER
Here your partner will come over to Canada on a work permit, because you will only be allowed to work for only 20 hours a week during your studies.
You work unlimited hours and while your partner will also get another work permit after you graduate. Therefore, you are basically multiplying your 1 year by 2 in addition to obtaining a 24 months of possible experience.
Your partner can actually work themselves to get permanent residence for you.
THIRDLY: IMMIGRATION PROGRAMS
Learn to apply strategy with your PGD work permits relating to where you should utilize your one year.
Coming to Atlantic Canada? That’s Nova, Scotia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, and Prince Edward Island. There is the Atlantic immigration pilot program here.
There are is the availability of different PNP, this makes it quite easy to obtain a PR. Thus, should you come to the right province, it will be easier to get a PR.
You have to be strategic with your job market applications and your profession. Make the necessary researches of which provinces have the best and most in-demand jobs, which are related to your industry.
Doing your research well will help you find the right employers, with this you will definitely get your PR within one year. For instance:
- Suppose you’re into IT, say maybe software engineering, go to British Columbia. The best and most opportunities for IT candidates are there.
- Into agriculture, go to Manitoba.
- Interested in a job related to the oceans, Atlantic Canada is your best bet, Nova Scotia in particular.
FIFTHLY: BRIDGING OPEN WORK PERMIT (BOWP)
The bridging open work permit commonly referred to by its acronym (BOWP) provides you with the opportunity to work after having filed for PR.
Nevertheless, you can make your application for the bridging open work permit even before you apply for PR. Also, it is possible to work in Canada while awaiting your PR to be approved.
FAQ’S ABOUT PG DIPLOMA & MASTER’S DEGREE IN CANADA
Are there any opportunities for you after masters and PG diploma in Canada?
There are 3 options for you after a masters program in Canada:
- You can get employment in any company or any industry of choice.
- You can choose to further your academic dreams by applying for Ph.D.
- Lastly, you may apply for professorship jobs any university or as Instructor at any college.
For PG diploma in Canada 2 options are available to you:
- You can choose to further your education by applying for masters.
- Secondly, directly apply for industry jobs.
In Canada is PG diploma equivalent to Masters?
Absolutely not, a PG diploma is never equivalent to Masters in Canada, this is because, there is a difference between the credits.
- A master’s degree earns you 180 credits
- Whereas a PG diploma is made up of maximum 120 credits.
Does PG Diploma have Value in Canada?
The answer is yes, a PG Diploma is valuable in Canada. With a PG diploma, you can land a good job, in addition to a permanent residence in Canada within 1 year, as well as with a 2 year PG diploma.
Can you get a job offer with a PGDM in Canada?
The answer is Yes, it is very possible to get a good job after PGDM in Canada. However, you must keep the following few things in remembrance:
- Make sure to study PGDM program in a field that has a high demand
- Pick the city, which has better job opportunities in your area of program
Which are the Best PGDM courses in Canada?
A lot of PGDM courses are available in Canada. However, the best among them are those which offer the possibility of a good job and PR in Canada.
Below are some of the most popular postgraduate courses in Canada.
- Graduate Diploma in Business Administration at Concordia University
- Postgraduate Diploma in Business at University of Regina
- Post Degree Diploma in Accounting (PDD-A)at Langara College
- Postgraduate Diploma Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management at Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology.
- PGD in Technology Management at Red River College of Applied Arts, Science & Technology
- PGD in Hospitality Management at Selkirk College
- Graduate Diploma in Computer Science at Concordia University