If you are a business person, entrepreneur and highly placed individual wishing to immigrate to Canada, the best option for you is the Quebec Business Class Immigration program. As the second most populous province of Canada, Quebec has a lot to offer in terms of good living condition and quality lifestyle. Quebec has a population of over 8 million and more than half of the population lives in the Montreal and Quebec City, the largest cities of the province.
While planning to reside in Quebec, you should equally make efforts to become a permanent resident or citizen of Canada. Once the acceptance of your application is successful, you will receive a Certificate of Selection of Quebec (CSQ). This certificate will help you to submit a permanent resident application. There is a lot to learn about the Quebec Business Class Immigration program and this guide will take you through the journey. Let’s dive in.
In this article
- Categories of Quebec Business Class Immigration Program
- 1. Quebec Immigrant Investor Program
- 2. Quebec Immigration Entrepreneurship Program
- 3. Quebec Immigrant Self-Employed Program
- Selection process for the Quebec Business Class Immigration Program
- Living in Quebec
- When should you call in an emergency?
- Finding your way around Quebec
- Obtaining your health insurance card number
- Schooling and education in Quebec
- Why should you live in Quebec?
- Towering career opportunities
- Booming business opportunity
- Permanent Residency in Canada
- Affordable living cost
- Standard quality of life
Categories of Quebec Business Class Immigration Program
You may be eligible to apply under any of the Quebec Business Class Immigration Programs. They are:
1. Quebec Immigrant Investor Program
Although the government of Canada has put a temporary stoppage to the Quebec Immigrant Investor Program until at least April 1, 2023, below are the major eligibilities of the previous program. Candidates must:
- Demonstrate a personal net worth of at least $2 million that is legally obtained through carrying out business or holding a high-level management position in a private sector, government or NGO.
- Demonstrate either of the following – having owned and operated a business for two years in the past five years or having held a high-level management position for two years in the past five years in a n NGO, private or public sector.
- Invest 1.2 million in a passive government-guaranteed investment for a period of five years and receiving no interest. In this case, applicants are to finance their investments.
2. Quebec Immigration Entrepreneurship Program
The program focuses on recruiting individuals with skills and experience to operate a business in Quebec. There are two streams under which the program operates.
- The first stream aims to create a business in Quebec with support from a business accelerator, business incubator or a university entrepreneurship centre.
- The second stream aims to create or buy established business which the entrepreneur must control at least 25% if it is a new one or 51% if it is an acquired one.
In either of the streams, you must prove that you have legally acquired a net worth of $900,000 alone or with your spouse.
3. Quebec Immigrant Self-Employed Program
To become eligible for this program, you must meet the following conditions.
- Have 2 years of self-employment experience in the profession or trade you plan to do
- Possess a personal net worth of $100,000 alone or with a spouse or common-law partner.
- Register a start-up deposit of at least $50,000 if you are based in the metropolitan area of Montreal or $25,000 if you are located outside Montreal.
In addition to the above, you must meet the following requirements
- You must obtain a minimum number of points through your education, work experience, age, language proficiency, business plan and/or investment, ties to Quebec.
- You must demonstrate your plans to live in Quebec. However, you must understand that there are annual intake periods and numerical quotas by the immigration authorities. If you are an investor, territorial quotas are applicable. But the clause here is that you must demonstrate a level B2 result in French speaking and listening.
Selection process for the Quebec Business Class Immigration Program
If you are interested in applying for the Quebec Business Class Immigration Program, you are expected to demonstrate why you want to do so. You will also prove your capability and how you would contribute towards the economy of Quebec province. Here are the procedures to follow:
- Apply for the Quebec Business Class Immigration program
- If the province accepts your application, the government of Quebec will offer you the Cértificat de selection du Québec
- Your application will go through and pass the health and security checks
- You will receive the permanent residency visa under this category once you complete all formalities.
The officials reviewing your application will consider the following factors:
- The type and duration of your professional training
- Your age, including that of your spouse, where applicable
- The language proficiency test score
- Your personal qualities
- Your knowledge about the province of Quebec
Living in Quebec
When should you call in an emergency?
Knowing the telephone numbers to call in whenever you are in an emergency situation is very essential.
- If you need to reach out to the police, fire service, and ambulance, you should dial 911
- If you need to reach a nurse as soon as possible in the event of a non-urgent health situation, you should dial 811. What is more, the service is free and confidential. They are also accessible at any particular point in time.
Finding your way around Quebec
Most residents of Quebec use the public transport system by bus. However, the city of Montreal and its environment connect to Longueuil and Laval using a metro or underground train. You can also find commuter trains in these cities. If you want to learn about fares, routes, schedules and itineraries, you can contact your municipality’s public transportation information service through their website.
Obtaining your health insurance card number
As a resident of Quebec, you are eligible for the Régime d’assurance maladie du Québec (Quebec health insurance plan). This plan covers all the necessary health care in the province. One of the first things to do when you arrive in Quebec is to register and obtain your health insurance card. In addition, ensure that each member of your family gets their own health insurance card. Again, always carry it with you and do not share it with someone. It is your personal property.
It is important for you to know that health insurance does not cover your medical care in the first three months of your stay in Quebec. Therefore, you are recommended to obtain private insurance during this period.
Schooling and education in Quebec
If you have children under 18, ensure to register them in school. In general, schooling begins at age four or five. Most children, in addition, stay in school until they are 18. That is, they finish high school around 18.
Furthermore, the public school system of Quebec is divided into four levels of elementary, secondary, CEGEP and post-secondary, which could be either university or college. Additionally, some districts or private schools may have another way of grading their school system. But in everything, the government of Quebec regulates the education standards.
Also, the academic year for all levels of education begins in September through June for elementary and secondary schools. However, colleges’ and universities’ academic year begins in September and end in April or May.
Schools, likewise, observe standard holidays which include Christmas and New Year holiday in December and January, while experiencing a spring break in March or April. Students can observe their various religious holidays as they wish but it will not prevent others from going to school.
Why should you live in Quebec?
Several reasons have brought people from various parts of the world to Quebec, using various immigration programs like the Quebec Business Class Immigration and others. Here are some of the reasons you might be heading to Quebec soon:
Towering career opportunities
As a skilled immigrant immigrating to Quebec through the Quebec Business Class Immigration program, you will experience diverse career opportunities. The workforce is proficiently trained and there is always something for everyone to do in Quebec. Thus, the unemployment rate is not even up to 5 per cent. So, your coming to Quebec opens door for you to soar in your business.
Booming business opportunity
When it comes to business, Quebec is the centre of venture capital. That explains why it offers its Business Class Immigration Program to willing immigrants. You will also receive different business support programs if you operate a small or medium enterprise in the province such as financial support for business start-up and expansion, export, innovation and research and development.
Permanent Residency in Canada
The Quebec Business Class Immigration Program, allows you to immigrate to the province and apply for your permanent residency in Canada. The program selects skilled individuals who wish to establish thriving business in Quebec and contribute economically to the growth of the province. It, then, nominates them for permanent residency by the federal government of Canada.
Affordable living cost
By and large, residents of Quebec enjoy high incomes, while purchasing their items at reduced prices. For that reason, the province of Quebec has constantly ranked among the most livable places in North America.
Standard quality of life
The quality of life that the residents of Quebec experience is incomparable. The province offers you all the comfort you need to enjoy unparalleled standard of living. The major cities in the province have scenic historical landmarks including the Notre Dame Basilica, the Chateau Frontenac Hotel, among others. You will encounter friendly people who are willing to offer help at every point in time. Equally, the level of security in Quebec is at its peak and residents can sleep soundly at night with their two eyes closed.
If you are making plans to move to Quebec under the Business Class Immigration program, this is the best time to commence. You need to experience the magic of Quebec and enjoy the best of your business.