Are you considering a move in the near future? If so, Canada may be the perfect destination for you – and your family if you have one. In a previous blog post, we explored 40 ways to move to Canada in 2023, and in this post, we will delve into 12 additional reasons why Canada is a top choice for those looking to relocate. From its universal healthcare system and high-quality education system to its growing economy and support for immigrants, there are numerous benefits to living in Canada.
As an immigrant myself who has lived here for many years, I can say that Canada offers competitive salaries, a diverse population, and friendly citizens, as well as beautiful cities and supportive government policies. Additionally, Canada is consistently ranked as one of the safest countries in the world and has a high happiness index rating. There are also many programs and resources available to help immigrants settle in their new homes. With all of these factors in mind, it’s no surprise that Canada is a popular destination for those looking to start a new chapter. Let’s dive right in!
12 Reasons to Relocate to Canada this year
What I’m going to share here are, by my judgment the top dozen reasons to move to Canada in 2023. Of course, there are more, but I’ll choose these over again as they cover most of the things immigrants are concerned about. Let’s look into each of the “whys” in detail.
#1.Universal Healthcare System
One of the biggest draws for many people considering a move to Canada is its universal healthcare system. Under Canada’s public healthcare system, all citizens and permanent residents have access to necessary medical services at no out-of-pocket cost. This can provide a significant financial benefit for those who may struggle to afford healthcare costs in their home country.
#2. World-class education system
Canada is home to some of the top universities in the world, making it an attractive destination for those seeking a high-quality education. From primary school to post-secondary education, the Canadian education system is well-regarded internationally. Here are 5 examples of the top universities with the best programs in Canada:
- University of Toronto: The University of Toronto is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the world, and it is a popular choice for international students. The university is known for its strong programs in a wide range of subjects, including business, engineering, and the sciences.
- University of British Columbia: Located in Vancouver, the University of British Columbia (UBC) is another top-ranking university that attracts international students. UBC is known for its strong programs in areas such as computer science, engineering, and forestry, as well as its beautiful campus and location in the Pacific Northwest.
- McGill University: Located in Montreal, Quebec, McGill University is a top-ranking university that is popular with international students. The university is known for its strong programs in fields such as business, law, and medicine, as well as its internationally recognized faculty.
- University of Alberta: Located in Edmonton, Alberta, the University of Alberta is a top-ranking university that is known for its strong programs in areas such as engineering, business, and the sciences. The university is also home to a number of research centers and institutes, making it an attractive destination for graduate students.
- University of Ottawa: Located in the heart of Ottawa, the University of Ottawa is another top-ranking university that is popular with international students. The university is known for its strong programs in fields such as law, business, and engineering, as well as its bilingual (French and English) environment.
These are just a few examples of the many top-ranking universities and programs in Canada that attract international students. In addition to their strong academic programs, these universities are also known for their welcoming and inclusive environments, making them an attractive choice for students from around the world.
#3. Growing economy that favors immigrants
Canada is home to a growing economy that is constantly in need of skilled workers. As a result, the country has a number of immigration programs specifically designed to attract and retain skilled workers. These programs include the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal Skilled Trades Program, and Canadian Experience Class.
#4. Competitive salaries for skilled and unskilled labor
In addition to its strong economy, Canada also offers competitive salaries for both skilled and unskilled labor. This can be especially appealing for those looking to improve their financial situation. And if you’re considering remote jobs in 2023, we have a list of work-from-home jobs that pay well in Canada here.
#5. Multi-culturally diverse population
Canada is known for its diverse population and commitment to inclusivity. This cultural diversity is reflected in the country’s food, music, and overall way of life, making it a welcoming destination for those from all walks of life.
In Canada, you can find a wide range of cities that offer a diverse and multi-cultural living experience. Here are a few examples of cities in Canada that are known for their diverse populations and cultural offerings:
- Toronto, Ontario: Toronto is often referred to as one of the most diverse cities in the world, and it’s easy to see why. With over 200 ethnicities represented in the city, Toronto is a melting pot of cultures, languages, and traditions. From Little Italy to Chinatown to Little India, there are neighborhoods representing almost every culture imaginable.
- Montreal, Quebec: Montreal is another city that is known for its cultural diversity. With a large French-speaking population and a history of immigration, Montreal is home to a wide range of cultural communities, including a vibrant Jewish community, a large Italian population, and a growing Chinese community.
- Vancouver, British Columbia: Located on the west coast of Canada, Vancouver is another city that is known for its diverse population. With a large Asian community, as well as a significant population of First Nations people, Vancouver is a city that celebrates its cultural diversity.
- Edmonton, Alberta: Edmonton may not be as well-known as some of the other cities on this list, but it is a hidden gem when it comes to cultural diversity. With a large immigrant population and a wide range of cultural events and festivals, Edmonton is a city that embraces its diverse population.
- Halifax, Nova Scotia: Located on the east coast of Canada, Halifax is another city that is known for its diverse population. With a large African-Canadian community, as well as a significant First Nations population, Halifax is a city that celebrates its cultural heritage.
These are just a few examples of the many cities in Canada that offer a multi-cultural living experience. No matter where you decide to settle in Canada, you’ll be able to find a community that celebrates diversity and inclusivity.
#6. Friendly people
Canadians are generally known for being friendly and polite, making it a welcoming place to live. Whether you’re making new friends or interacting with locals in your daily life, you can expect to be treated with kindness and respect in Canada.
#7. Beautiful cities
From the stunning natural beauty of the Rocky Mountains to the cosmopolitan vibes of Toronto and Montreal, Canada is home to a wide range of beautiful cities. No matter where you decide to settle, you’re sure to find a breathtaking location that speaks to you.
#8. Supportive government policies
The Canadian government has a number of policies in place to support immigrants and help them succeed in their new home. These include settlement programs and resources designed to assist with finding housing, language training, and employment.
Here are a few examples of government policies in Canada that are designed to support immigrants and help them succeed in their new home:
- Settlement programs: The Canadian government offers a range of settlement programs and resources to assist immigrants as they adjust to life in Canada. These programs can provide language training, employment assistance, and help with finding housing.
- Express Entry system: The Express Entry system is a federal immigration program that allows skilled workers to apply for permanent residence in Canada. Through this program, immigrants can receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence based on their education, work experience, and other factors.
- Provincial nominee programs: In addition to the federal government, each province in Canada has its own immigration programs that are designed to attract and retain immigrants. These programs, known as Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs), allow provinces to nominate immigrants for permanent residence based on the specific needs of their labor market.
- Temporary foreign worker program: The Temporary Foreign Worker Program allows Canadian employers to hire foreign workers on a temporary basis when they are unable to find Canadians to fill the positions. This program can provide a pathway to permanent residence for foreign workers who have been employed in Canada for a certain period of time.
- Family sponsorship programs: Canada also has a number of family sponsorship programs that allow Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their family members for immigration to Canada. These programs can be an option for those who have close family ties in Canada and want to bring them to the country.
These are just a few examples of the many policies and programs that the Canadian government has in place to support immigrants and help them succeed in their new home. Whether you’re a skilled worker looking to start a new career or a student looking to study in Canada, there are a number of options available to help you make the move.
#9. One of the safest countries in the world
Canada consistently ranks as one of the safest countries in the world, making it a secure and peaceful place to live.
#10. Canadians are happy people
According to the World Happiness Report, which ranks countries based on their happiness levels, Canada consistently ranks as one of the happiest countries in the world. In the most recent report (2022), Canada ranked 5th out of 149 countries, with a happiness index score of 7.6 out of 10.
Other countries that consistently rank highly in the World Happiness Report include Finland (1st), Denmark (2nd), Switzerland (3rd), and Iceland (4th). These countries are known for their strong economies, social support systems, and overall high quality of life.
It’s worth noting that the World Happiness Report uses a variety of factors to determine a country’s happiness index score, including measures of social support, personal freedoms, and life expectancy. As a result, countries that rank highly in the report are generally those that offer a strong sense of community and social support, as well as personal freedoms and a high quality of life.
#11. Many settlement programs for immigrants
As mentioned earlier, Canada has a number of settlement programs in place to assist immigrants as they adjust to life in their new home. These programs offer resources such as language training, employment assistance, and help with finding housing, making the transition to life in Canada as smooth as possible.
#12. Good job opportunities
With its strong economy and constant need for skilled workers, Canada offers a wealth of job opportunities for immigrants. Whether you’re looking for a job in a specific industry or simply want to take advantage of the country’s growing job market, there are plenty of opportunities to be found in Canada.
As I mentioned from start, it is indeed hard to box up every reason to move to Canada in 2023 into 1 topic. From its universal healthcare system and world-class education system to its diverse population and strong job market, Canada has a lot to offer those looking to start a new chapter.
Good luck 🙂