Record of Employment in Canada – How to Apply?

Employer must issue an ROE whenever an employee experiences an interruption of earnings.

Every employer in Canada must offer record of employment(ROE) to any employee. This is done especially when the employee wants to register for Employment insurance benefits.

The function of the record of employment is to provide the details of work history of the employee. Thus, a record of employment (ROE) provides information on employment history.

Furthermore, it is the most important document that an employee need when applying for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits.

In addition to that, Service Canada uses the information provided to determine the eligibility of the employee.

In other words, to know if the employee qualifies for EI. It also helps them to know the amount as well as the time period of the employment benefits. It also helps to ensure that there is no one misuse of EI funds. 

Therefore, an employer must issue an ROE whenever an employee experiences an interruption of earnings. Or when an employee wants to quit his or her job. 

In this article

How to Apply For a Record of Employment

When it comes to record of employment, employers have two ways of issuing it. Firstly, you can submit your employee’s ROE form using your Service Canada account online. And secondly, you can submit a paper document. 

Submitting a Record of Employment Online

On way to submit record of employment is to do that electronically. And you can as well do that in two ways: 

  1. using a compatible software program to upload ROE data directly from your payroll system
  2. manually entering your ROE data online at the Service Canada website

However, you can also use a payroll service provider using a bulk transfer technology known as SAT (Secure Automated Transfer).

Submitting a Paper Record of Employment

The second way to submit your ROE is to send or submit a ROEs as paper documents. However, you will first get the appropriate forms from your Employer Contact Centre.

There are three separate but identical ROE paper copies:

Part 1 (the original copy)

The original copy comes from the employer. Once you get it, you can submit it to Service Canada for EI benefits,

Part 2 (the blue copy)

The employer submits this copy directly to Service Canada. This confirms to Service Canada that what you submitted was correct. 

Part 3

This is the copy that the employer keeps. In other words, it filed with your employment records. 

Record of Employment Filing Deadlines for Employers

There is no particular deadline for submitting a record of employment with Service Canada. It totally depends on which type or method you choose to adopt. So, the time depends on whether you choose electronic or paper ROE.  

However, if you choose to do it electronically, then, you have only five days. That is five days after you stopped paying your employer or when there was interruption in earning. 

But for employees who receive their salary on monthly basis, the deadline for ROE can be any of these days:  

  • 5 calendar days after the end of the pay period in which your employee’s interruption of earnings occurs
  • 15 calendar days after the 1st day of their interruption in earnings

Meanwhile, when submitting paper ROE, you must do so within 5 calendar days of:

  • the 1st day of your employee’s interruption in earnings
  • the first day that you know of the interruption

Therefore, in order to comply with Service Canada’s regulations, you must issue ROEs to your employer once you notice change in earning. Another thing is that you must do so correctly and on time. 

Record Of Employment Uses and When an Employer Need to issue it

Every employer must issue an ROE whenever threre is a change in the earnings of an employee. This must be done even if the employee did not apply for employment benefits.

Therefore, an employer must issue a record of employment whenever an employee:

  • quits.
  • is laid off or terminated.
  • is going to have seven consecutive  days without work
  • an employee’s salary falls below 60% 

Apart from the above mentioned cases, employers can offer file ROEs when they are switching payroll providers.

Codes For Record Of Employment

When employers want to issue record of employment, the can use codes below: 

Code A: Shortage of Work (Layoff)

The Code A which is use for layoff. That is when there is shortage of work is also the most used ROE code. Employers who want to relieve some workers of their jobs because of job shortage use this code.  

Examples of situations where employers would need to use Code A include:

  • End of contract or season
  • Permanent shutdown of operations
  • End of casual or part-time work
  • End of school year
  • Temporary shutdown of oearnings
  • Position eliminated or redundant
  • Company restructuring or,
  • Employer bankruptcy or receivership

Code B: Strike or Lockout

The code B is used during strike or lockout. So, an employer can use code B when an employee is on strike or locked out of workplace. 

Code C: Return to School

Although Service Canada is planning remove this code, however, it is used when an employee plans to return to school.  

Code D: Illness or Injury

In the case of an illness or injury, employers will use Code D to file in for ROE. However, this is usually temporary. 

Code E: Quit

Employers who need to file ROE for employees who want to quit will need code E.  

For instance, an employee might quit to:

  • take another job
  • accompany a spouse to another location
  • return to school
  • retire voluntarily 
  • health reasons

Code F – Maternity

In order to issue a record of employment for the maternity, employers will need code F. This is only used when a mother is leaving the workplace to take maternity leave.

However, this code does not apply to fathers or adoptive parents. 

Code G – Retirement

Employers issuing a record of employment for employees who have retired will make use of Code G. However, this is used when there is mandatory retirement or through a Work Force Reduction approved by Service Canada. 

Code H – Work Sharing

In the situation of work sharing, employers are allowed to use code C.  

Code J – Apprentice Training

When employees are leaving work in order to go for apprentice training, employers can use this code.  

Code M – Dismissal

Employers  who are dismissively their employees on the basis of not doing their job will use Code M for ROE. The employer must include the reason for dismissal. 

Code N – Leave of Absence

When employees are going for a leave of absence, employers are allowed to use Code N.  

However, this code only applies when the employee is taking any period of unpaid leave

Thus, a leave of absence does not include:

  • Illness or injury (Code D: Illness or Injury)
  • Maternity leave (Code F: Maternity)
  • Parental leave (Code P: Parental)
  • Compassionate care leave (Code Z: Compassionate Care or Parents of Critically Ill Children) 
  • Leave for parents to care for a critically ill child (Code Z: Compassionate Care or Parents of Critically Ill Children)

Code P – Parental

Employers would need to use Code P if the employee is leaving the workplace temporarily to take parental or adoption leave. 

Code K – Other

It may be true to say that the reasons mentioned above are the major reasons employers need to issue a record of employment (ROE).

However, there are cases in which employees may need ROE apart from the reasons above. 

Whenever there is a case of that nature, employers will need to use code K when issuing ROE. 

Therefore, employers can use code K in the following situations: 

  • Change in payroll, ownership or company name
  • Change in pay period type
  • Death of an employee 
  • Service Canada has requested the Record of Employment (ROE)
Frequently Asked Questions

What if my employer does not submit my roe?

If your employer fails to submit issue ROE after five days of work separation, the employer will be punished according CRA. Hence, the employer could be fined up to $2,000, imprisoned for up to six months. Or even face both punishments. 

What is record of employment form?

Record of employment is a form issued by employers to employees for employment benefits when there is interruption in pay.

This can be done electronically or by the use of paper ROE. The ROE is very necessary for applying for the Employment Insurance (EI) program.

Can I use Record of Employment for express entry?

Yes, you can use ROE for express entry. If you receive an invitation to Apply (ITA) through Express Entry, you are expectedsubmit a work reference letter. You can use ROE as one. 

What to do if my employer hasn’t submitted my ROE?

If your employer fails to submit your ROE after two weeks, you can ask for it again.

However, if the employer fails, you can you go to your nearest Service Canada Office or call them at 1-800-206-7218.  

How to correct mistake in ROE?

In case of mistakes when filling your record of employment, you must notify Service Canada as soon as possible.

To contact them, you must their Telephone Information Service at 1 800 206-7218 from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, write to them or even go in person to the nearest Service Canada Centre in your area.