Those qualified to apply for Permanent Resident Card renewal must be permanent residents within Canada who would like to apply for:
- An initial (first) PR Card
- Renewal of a PR Card that has expired or about to expire or
- Replacement of a PR Card that has been stolen, damaged or lost.
Eligibility Criteria for a Permanent Resident Card:
- The applicant must be a permanent resident of Canada
- Applicant must be physically present in Canada
- Applicant must not be under an effective removal order
- Applicant should not be a Canadian citizen or a registered Indian under the Indian Act, and
- Applicant should not be found wanting relating to the misuse of a Permanent Resident Card.
How to Apply for a Permanent Resident Card Renewal
Individuals are required to file form IMM 5444 as part of the application process to renew a PR Card for Canada and submit the required documents in order to replace the card that will soon expire or has already expired. Destroyed, stolen, lost or expired immigration documents issued by the Government of Canada can be replaced. To have your Permanent Resident Card renewed, you must complete an application and pay the applicable processing fee.
There is no need to contact the IRCC (formerly known as CIC) if your card has expired (or is due to expire).
The following documents are required with your application:
- You must include in your application your Permanent Resident Card (that is if your card has expired). But if it is due to expire, you can keep it with you and return it to the IRCC (formerly known as CIC) officer at a local IRCC (formerly known as CIC) office when you go to collect your new card.
- A copy of the passport or travel document you held at the time you became a permanent resident or a copy of your valid passport or travel document. Please ensure that your photocopies are clear if not, your application will be returned to you.
- Your photos must meet the requirements in order to be accepted.
- Provide any other identity documents specified in the Document Checklist (which will be provided as part of the application kit).
- Should not be found wanting relating to the misuse of a Permanent Resident Card.
Steps in the PR Card Renewal Process?
- Complete your application providing the correct information and quickly with our step-by-step guidance that leads you through each question or download and complete blank forms available directly form the IRCC (formerly known as the CIC).
- Pay the government filing fee online. Please note that the fee paid to the Government of Canada is separate from the fee paid to Immigration Direct.
- If your application is approve, a PR Card will be sent to you.
Forms you may also need to file
- IMM 5455 – Supplementary Identification
- IMM 5476 – Use of a Representative
You can also see the things you need to know on bridging work permit.