Royal Roads University also popularly known as RRU is described as a professionals university, admission to RRU, helps professionals to continue their studies while they maintain their careers. RRU provides top-notched, innovative, and competitive applied post-secondary education to professionals and career-oriented individuals in Canada and overseas by a means that satisfies their needs, and is financially self-sufficient, including socially and environmentally involved.
Royal Roads University is a public designated university, its core campus is located in Colwood, British Columbia. Established in Hatley Park National Historic Site on Vancouver Island.
After the decommissioning of the RRMC in 1995, the government of British Columbia founded Royal Roads University as a public university to offer both applied and professional degree-granting programs.
The government considers the alumni of RRMC to be part of RRU’s broader alumni community.
The University as of now as graduated more than 20,000 students in the areas of leadership, business, environment, communication, tourism, hospitality and social justice who have employment opportunities in more than 60 countries around the world.
Table of Contents
- 1 Royal Roads University Ranking
- 2 Tuition Fees At Royal Roads University
- 3 RRU Acceptance rate & Admissions
- 4 Admissions At Royal Roads University
- 5 English Language Requirements
- 6 How To Apply for Royal Roads University
- 7 Scholarships At Royal Roads University
Royal Roads University Ranking
The 2011 National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE), ranked Royal Roads University as 1st public university for an active and collaborative academic experience and for the level of academic challenge.
The Globe and Mail‘s in 2008, reports on Canadian University assigned RRU grades in specific categories along with 55 other universities. This was based on the Globe and Mail students satisfaction survey. Royal Roads University was one among 14 universities in the below 4,000 students assessment pool and was assigned a grade of B-:
Tuition Fees At Royal Roads University
|Local students||Doctoral Programs: 79,460
Domestic Students: $550
International Students: $5,000
RRU Acceptance rate & Admissions
|Academic Calendar||September to August|
|Student: Staff ratio||10:1|
Admissions At Royal Roads University
Both domestic and international admissions at RRU are guided by program-specific and country-specific requirements and guidelines.
To be eligible to apply to degree programs at RRU, you must be a current student or have graduated from a recognized university preparatory school or senior high school with a minimum score of B (73%) average in four academic grade 12 courses, including English 12.
Additional requirements include:
- The completion of the following approved courses:
- English 11
- Foundations of Mathematics 11 or Pre-Calculus 11
- Science 11
- Social Studies 11/12 from the BC high school curriculum or equivalent
You are required to complete the following steps and submit all supporting documents, thereafter, your application will be assessed. Follow the steps below to apply.
1. Apply Online
Start your application:
- Using your email address create an account.
- Indicate your high school diploma, along with post-secondary courses or programs completed or currently enrolled in.
- Pay the application fee.
2. Submit official high school transcripts
- Electronic transcripts from British Columbia high school and British Columbia post-secondary institutions are accepted.
- Otherwise, official transcripts are expected to be sent directly from your issuing institution or examination body in their original, sealed envelope.
Note: International transcripts or credentials are subject to a credential evaluation fee or credential evaluation report.
3. Write a personal statement
At Royal Roads University, you are encouraged to be actively involved in your learning, thus, you are required to write a one or two-page essay answering the following questions:
- What informed your decision to apply to Royal Roads University?
- What interests you about the program chosen and makes you feel it is suitable for you?
- Why is change-making important to you?
Add any other information you think might be of relevance to your application.
4. Provide proof of English language proficiency
- You must submit an English language proficiency score report, should English not be your primary language.
5. Submit other documents
- You are to provide a copy of your permanent resident (PR) card with your application if you are a permanent resident or hold a convention refugee status in Canada. You are to declare the original card when you arrive at Royal Roads.
Early conditional offers
- An early conditional offer may is extended to you if you’ve completed or are currently enrolled in the courses for your preferred program and have met the minimum GPA requirement.
- This offer will include conditions of admission that must be fulfilled before you begin your program.
- Your final transcript and confirmation must be received at RRU indicating that you’ve met the admission requirements as of the date identified in your offer letter before you’ll be able to begin your program.
English Language Requirements
English is the primary language of instruction and communication at Royal Roads University, therefore, it is mandatory for all students to meet the English language requirements.
Consequently, you are to show proof of a minimum level of English proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing when you apply.
Ways you can demonstrate your English language proficiency
Three ways to show proof of your English language proficiency:
- Obtained a recognized credential from an English speaking country
- Pass and submit an official English language proficiency test score report
- Must have completed one of RRU’s Global Learning and Language Centre programs
1. Holding a recognized credential from an English speaking country
- Show evidence that you completed a diploma or degree from a recognized college or university where English was the primary language of instruction.
2. Submit an English language proficiency score report
- Submit an English language proficiency test score report from the following organizations:
- International English Language Testing System Academic (IELTS-A)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL-iBT)
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE-A)
- Duolingo English Test (DET)
It is important to note that test results are valid for two years from the date of your exam. However, results are only termed official when sent directly from the testing organization.
Minimum test score requirements
Listed below are the minimum test score requirements for undergraduate and graduate programs accepted at RRU:
Undergraduate first-year entry programs
- IELTS-Academic: 6.5, no single band score less than 6.0
- TOEFL-iBT: 88, a minimum of 20 reading, writing, listening and speaking
- PTE-A: 60, with no section less than 58
Graduate program exceptions
The following programs offered at RRU have higher English language proficiency requirements:
- Master of Arts in Professional Communication
- Doctor of Social Science
- Doctor of Business Administration Programs
- IELTS: Academic 7.0, minimum 6.5 in writing, speaking, listening and reading
- TOEFL: iBT 100, minimum 26 in writing, and 23 in listening, reading and speaking
- PTE-A: 68, minimum 60 in writing, speaking, listening and reading
For more details on RRU’s English language requirements please visit the link: English language requirements | Royal Roads University
How To Apply for Royal Roads University
Ten Steps to Begin your Application to RRU
- Conclude on which graduate, undergraduate, certificate or diploma program you want to apply for, and find out about its application deadline.
- Make sure to review the program admission and application requirements.
- Gather your supporting documents. For example; order transcripts, international credential evaluations, personal statements and reference letters.
- Fill your online application form.
- Be certain to submit your online form as early as you can, and also pay your non-refundable application fee.
- Submit your supporting documents as early as possible too.
- Follow up by checking the status of your application online for its progress.
- Expect an admissions decision.
- Upon accepting a spot in a program, you are to pay your tuition deposit.
- Remember your first day of classes by marking it on your calendar, your life-changing journey just became real
As an international student
Six more important steps you must fulfil.
- Know your program’s application deadline.
- At the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website, find out how long it takes at eh moment to process study permit applications.
- Start your study permit application process not less than six months before your program’s start date, or longer if the application process times are more than six months.
- Apply for a study permit immediately been accepted into your program.
- Should you have completed your post-secondary education outside of Canada, you must get an international credential evaluation.
- It is important that you submit your application not less than six months before your program’s start date to ensure you have enough time to receive your CIC Letter of Acceptance
Scholarships At Royal Roads University
1. Royal Roads International Entrance Scholarship
Description: Royal Roads University International Entrance Scholarship is awarded to outstanding international students who are from partner high schools and who want to have their undergraduate studies at Royal Roads University.
This is only open to candidates from specific institutions, and it is granted upon nomination and with regards to the school and country of birth.
- Scholarship Value: $1,000 to $3,000
2. Royal Roads International Entrance Scholarship for Academic and Community Leadership
Description: Eight students are eligible to receive the Maple Leaf International High School scholarship, these are those who showed the highest level of volunteer service and community leadership at their submission.
The application process is submitted with a one-page essay detailing eligibility.
- Scholarship Amount: $3,000
1. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Description: At RRU, Vanier scholars pursue graduate research in social sciences and humanities.
These are exemplary students from Canada and around the world who are identified as professionals in their fields of study and societies. This Royal Roads University scholarship is a three-year scholarship, therefore, you can only qualify for it once every three years.
A short-form competition is offered to find a future Vanier Scholar until the nomination is open. Should the selection committee find a strong candidate, the student will receive assistance with the whole application.
- Scholarship Amount: $50,000 per year
For more scholarships offered by Royal Roads University please visit the link: Royal Roads University Scholarships