Caregivers have varieties of opportunities in Canada that enable them to get a Canadian permanent residency. Moreover, you can utilize Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot program to become an immigrant in Canada.
Hence, this article covers several areas that answer your query on how to secure caregiver jobs in Canada for foreign workers.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is a caregiver in Canada?
- 2 Working temporary caregiver jobs in Canada
- 3 Immigrating to Canada as a caregiver
- 4 Types of caregiver jobs in Canada
- 5 Roles and responsibilities of caregivers in Canada
- 6 Canadian employers hiring caregivers
- 7 Caregivers salary in Canada
- 8 How to secure caregiver jobs in Canada for foreign workers
- 9 FAQ about how to secure caregiver jobs in Canada
What is a caregiver in Canada?
A caregiver is an individual that provides care to children, including babies, family, as well as to persons with disabilities.
Caregivers also take care of aged persons who need extra care and attention.
They serve as a companion and housekeeper to their employer.
Working temporary caregiver jobs in Canada
If you wish to work temporarily as a caregiver in Canada, you need to possess a valid Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) and a Canadian work permit.
Moreover, you are required to apply for a work permit extension prior to its expiry date in order to avoid hindrance while working.
As a foreign national seeking how to become a caregiver, there are thousands of temporary caregiver jobs in Canada.
You merely need to search for a caregiver job with a work condition that seems more convenient to you.
If you are unable to satisfy all the requirements of Canada’s permanent residency, you mostly do not have another option than to work temporarily as a caregiver in Canada.
Immigrating to Canada as a caregiver
As a home caregiver intending to move and work permanently in Canada, you can check your eligibility for the following programs to facilitate your immigration.
- Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot program
- Live-in Caregiver Program Canada
Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot program
Have you previously worked as a home child care provider or home support worker in Canada?
Your work experience can amaze you by qualifying you to apply for a Canadian permanent residency.
Besides, you can use Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot program to get a Canadian permanent residency if you have a valid job offer.
You also need to meet the entire program’s eligibility criterion.
Moreover, these pilot programs require you to possess a minimum of 24 months of qualifying Canadian work experience.
Eligibility criteria for Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot program
You are required to satisfy the following conditions to qualify for Canada’s Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot program.
- Firstly, you must possess qualifying work experience for working a full-time job in Canada.
Furthermore, the work experience applies to a paid full-time job under NOC 4411 or NOC 4412 consisting of 30 hours/week
- Secondly, you are only allowed to become a home child care provider to children below the age of 18 in Canada
- Thirdly, you need to provide a valid English or French proficiency test result such as IELTS, CELPIP, TCF Canada, TEF Canada, among others.
LCP is an ideal program in fulfilling your aspiration for immigration if you have initially been working live in caregiver jobs in Canada.
More so, Live in Caregiver Program is currently unavailable for new applications.
Thus, it is only open to foreign nationals with a minimum of 2 years work experience in the live in caregiver jobs.
Live in Caregiver Program Canada also requires you to have started working with a LCP work permit.
Additionally, your LCP work permit must be processed using a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from ESDC submitted latest on November 30, 2014.
Furthermore, you will need to avail your biometrics (photo and fingerprints) upon application for the Live in Caregiver Program Canada.
Types of caregiver jobs in Canada
There are various types of caregiver jobs available to foreign workers in Canada.
Thus, the following are types of caregiver jobs in Canada.
- In Home Caregiver
- Personal Caregiver
- Family caregiver
- Child caregiver – private home
- Live-in caregiver – seniors
- Companion Caregiver
- Child and Caregiver Support Worker
- Fly-in/Fly-Out Child and Youth Caregiver
Roles and responsibilities of caregivers in Canada
The following are the obligations of personal caregivers in Canada.
- Attending to employer/client’s personal needs
- Running several kinds of errands
- Offering companionship
- Cooking meals
- Helping employer/clients in personal care, including dressing
- Escorting employer/clients to events, meetings, trips, etc
Below are the roles and responsibilities of family caregivers in Canada.
- Availing companionship
- Making provision of personal care to the family
- Preparing delicacies and serving it on the table
- Performing chores
- Aid in routine exercise
- Laundry and pressing of various linens and clothing
- Cleaning of household appliances
- Maintaining the household
- Preparing young child for preschool
- Child supervision
- On time administration of medications to persons under care, among others
Canadian employers hiring caregivers
Your concerns will be resolved in this article if you have a quest to know how to find an employer in Canada for caregiver jobs.
Moreover, caregivers are able to secure employment from individuals, families, as well as from Canadian establishments that need their services.
The following are examples of Canadian establishments that are presently on attempts to hire caregivers.
- Teamcoover, Victoria, British Columbia
- Bayshore HealthCare (has numerous offices across Canada, including in Beaverton, Brampton, etc)
- Happiness at Home Health Care Inc., Surrey, British Columbia
- Home Instead, Calgary – AB, North Vancouver, West Vancouver – BC
- Able Nannies and Caregivers Ltd., Vancouver, British Columbia
- Vanell Nursing and Home Care Inc., North York, Ontario
- Parkwood Home Care, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Neighbourly Care Home Health Services, Lakeshore, Ontario
- Shylo Home Healthcare, Vancouver, British Columbia
- Estrada-Cimpl Childcare, Canmore, Alberta
- Interior Health Authority, Salmon Arm, British Columbia
- Dixon Hall Neighbourhood Services, Toronto, Ontario
- Heritage Family Services, Red Deer, Alberta
- Spectrum Health Care, Scarborough, Ontario
- Misha Zibin Society, Grand Forks, British Columbia
- Island Health, Port Alberni, British Columbia
- triOS College Business Technology Healthcare Inc., | Eastern College, Toronto, Ontario
- Qualicare Toronto & Mississauga, Brampton, Ontario
- Proof Of Care, North Vancouver, British Columbia
- Bluewater Health, Sarnia, Ontario
- RONY’S HOME HEALTH CARE SERVICES INC., North York, Ontario
- Shift Human Services Consulting., Fort Smith, Northwest Territories, and so on
However, note that some of these Canadian establishments have more than one office in Canada.
Caregivers salary in Canada
Working in Canada as a caregiver is rewarding. Thus, caregivers’ salaries in Canada often range from CAD $15 to CAD $75 per hour.
Additionally, you can earn up to CAD $12,600 monthly. as well as CAD $150,000 on a yearly basis for working as a caregiver in Canada.
How to secure caregiver jobs in Canada for foreign workers
There are various means of securing caregiver jobs in Canada. However, you can initiate your search for caregiver jobs in Canada via online and/or offline means.
More so, you can read newspapers, visit trade fairs, job sites, or get in touch with employment agencies for aid in getting a caregiver job.
It is also a smart move to visit various companies’ websites to check if they have listings for caregiver jobs.
You can even contact them via phone call or email to ask if they are hiring new staff.
Using employment agencies to secure caregiver jobs in Canada
Employment agencies are superb in helping foreign nationals in securing caregiver jobs since Canadian companies entrust them to finding the best talents.
Hence, below are some employment agencies that are helpful to foreign workers in finding caregiver jobs in Canada.
- Canadian Staffing Consultants Ltd
- Renard International Hospitality Search Consultants
- Best Personnel Inc
- Express Employment Professionals
- Goldbeck Recruiting Inc.
- Government Of Canada Employment agency
- Work Global Canada Inc.
- Cap Personnel Ltd
- Hays – Recruitment Agency Toronto, and so on
Using job sites in Canada to secure caregiver jobs
Job sites are also convenient to foreign nationals in finding and securing caregiver jobs in Canada.
Moreover, you need a mobile device or computer with a fast internet connection in order to access caregiver job listings on the sites.
In addition, job sites are effortless and time-efficient because of their user-friendly interface. The majority of them offer free access without issues.
Examples of job sites that help foreign workers to secure caregiver jobs in Canada include Job Bank, LinkedIn, Indeed, Workopolis, eluta.ca, Robert Half, Monster, Glassdoor, Jobboom, CareerBuilder, among others.
Ultimately, these mediums can be very helpful because most Canadian employers do not advertise jobs to the public.
This requires you to be intellectual by making researches that can satisfy your inquiry on how to secure caregiver jobs in Canada for foreign workers.
FAQ about how to secure caregiver jobs in Canada
- Caring for Children Program have been closed since June 18, 2019
- Interim Pathway for Caregivers have been closed since October 8, 2019
- Caring for People with High Medical Needs Program have been closed since June 18, 2019