More than 20 % of the population of Singapore consists of foreigners who come to work in the country. Most times, these people want to bring their families to the country. But, they find it hard to obtain a work permit for their dependents. Thus, the Singaporean government introduced the Singapore Dependent Pass for this group.
However, before you can bring your family to this maritime country, you must meet certain conditions for your visa. In addition, you must follow some steps to obtain an entry permit as a dependent of a foreigner working in Singapore.
Find out whether you are eligible for this article. Plus, the requirements and steps to apply.
What is Singapore Dependent Pass?
A Singapore Dependent Visa allows family members of foreigners with Employment Pass in the country to live with them. You can live in the country as long as the EP of your caretaker is valid.
Alternatively, if your dependents want to stay in Singapore for a short period, they can apply for a Singapore Tourist Visa.
Eligibility for a Singapore Dependent Pass
Foreigners working in Singapore as skilled workers must meet the following conditions before their dependents can apply for a pass. They include:
- You must be a holder of an Employment Pass, Personalized Employment Pass, S Pass, or EntrePass.
- EP, PEP, and S Pass holders must have a minimum of $6,000 per month.
- EP, PEP, and S Pass holders must work for a Singap[orean employer or company. The company will work as your sponsor.
- EntrePass holders must have a minimum of S$100,000.
- EntrePass holders must have a minimum of three Singaporean workers.
- Moreover, you can only sponsor your spouse or children under 21 years of age who are not married, including your adopted children.
Requirements for a Singapore Dependent Pass
When applying for a Dependent Pass for your family to join you in Singapore, you must provide the following documents. They include:
- A copy of the detail page of the applicant’s passport.
- A copy of the marriage certificate of your spouse.
- Copies of the personal details pages of the parent.
- A copy of this birth certificate of your child. It must contain the name of the parents.
- The adoption papers of adopted children.
- Verification of Vaccination document from the Health Promotion Board (HBP) for children under 12 years.
Furthermore, you can provide the following documents if the Singaporean authorities demand them from you. They include:
- Passport details of your family members.
- Short Term Visit Pass or immigration pass of your dependents.
- Address of your dependents in Singapore.
- The Disembarkation / Embarkation card
- The IPA letter of the applicant
- A medical examination or health declaration form
How to apply for a Singapore Dependent Pass
Applicants for a Singapore dependent Visa can apply in two ways. They include:
- online application
- manual application
Steps to apply for a Singapore Dependent Pass online
Holders of EP or S Pass holders can obtain a Dependent Visa online through their employers. Thus, they do not need to visit any office. However, their employers can process the pass for them electronically through the website of the Ministry of Manpower.
The process has three stages. They include:
Stage one: Applying for the Dependent Pass
The first stage of obtaining a Singapore Dependent Pass is for your employer to apply on your behalf. It involves the following steps.
- Your employer will submit the documents for your family members.
- Your employer will pay the fees for each applicant from your family. The amount is S$105 per head.
- The Ministry of Manpower will issue an In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter if they approve the application.
- Your employer will print the IPA letter and send it to your family members. The In-Principle Approval Letter has two functions: It permits your dependents to enter Singapore. Secondly, it will contain all the documents they need to obtain a Singapore dependent Visa.
- Your family will enter Singapore with the IPA letter. Family members of an EP holder must move to the country within six months, while dependents of S Pass holders must travel to the country within two months.
Stage two: Getting the Dependent Pass issued
Once your family members enter Singapore, they will begin the second stage of the application process for a Singapore Dependent Visa. You can follow the steps below.
- Your employer will submit an online application once your family arrives in Singapore.
- Pay the sum of S$225 for each applicant.
- Pay additional fees depending on the specific purpose.
- Submit all the required documents.
- Your employer will get a notification letter once the Ministry of Manpower issues the pass.
- Your dependents will collect their letter from your company. It will allow them to leave and enter the country until they receive their Singapore Dependent Pass.
Stage three: Getting the Dependent Pass Card
Once your dependents receive their notification letter, they will check to know the documents they need to submit. Sometimes, they may require to provide their pictures and biometrics.
Once they submit all the necessary documents, they will get their Singapore dependent Visa within four days.
Manual application for a Singapore Dependent Pass
Holders of an EntrePass, Personalized Employment Pass, or Employment Pass can manually apply for a Singapore Dependent Pass by following the below steps. They include:
- Download and complete the Dependant Pass application form on the MOM website.
- Gather all the required documents in the form.
- EntrePass holders must also meet the Assessment to apply for the family passes form.
- Lodge all the documents and forms to the Ministry of Manpower using a SingPost branch.
- Pay an application fee of S$105 for each application.
- Keep the payment slip you receive.
- Receive the In-Principle Approval (IPA) letter through email after eight weeks.
- Your family members can enter Singapore with the IPA letter.
- Once in Singapore, your dependents can apply for a Singapore Dependent Pass.
Yellow Fever Vaccination for Singapore visa
Citizens of a few countries must show vaccination for Yellow fever before they can visit the country. Therefore, you must check to know if it applies to your dependent.
List of countries for Yellow Fever Vaccination
Nationals of the countries below must show proof of vaccination for Yellow fever to visit Singapore. They include:
- The central African Republic
- Sierra Leone
- French Guiana
- South Sudan
- Burkina Faso
- Cote d’Ivoire
- The Gambia
- Trinidad and Tobago
- The Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Equatorial Guinea
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the duration of a Dependent Visa in Singapore?
A Singapore Dependent Visa has the same validity period as the Employment Pass. Thus, it remains valid as long as the employee still has a valid visa to live and work in the country.
Can you renew a Dependent Pass?
You can renew your dependant pass when it expires. You will follow the application process for a Singapore Dependent Pass. Thus, if your employer applied for the dependent visa, they will also apply for the renewal following the same steps.
However, you will use the Dependant Pass Renewal form to apply.
The shores time to apply is six months before it expires. However, you can begin the application process earlier to have enough time for the processing.
It is not a guarantee that you must get your renewal for a Dependent Pass.
Can your family members work in Singapore with a Dependent Visa?
Your family members can work in Singapore with their Dependent Visas once they get the correct authorizations.
Dependants of EP, EntrePass, and PEP need a Letter of Consent from the Singaporean Ministry Of Manpower (MOM) to work in the country. Dependants of S Pass holders can apply for a Work Permit, S Pass, or Employment Pass to look for jobs in Singapore.
What is the processing time for a Singapore Dependent Visa?
The processing time for a Singapore Dependent Pass depends on the method. For example, the online application takes about one month to process. On the other hand, it can take up to two months to obtain your pass manually.
How much is a Singapore Dependent Pass?
Online application for a Singapore Depoebdent Visa costs about S#350. It includes all the fees you will pay to obtain the permit. For a manual process, it costs about S4400 to obtain your visa.
Is there an alternative for a Singapore dependent Pass?
Family members of foreigners working in Singapore who do not qualify for a Dependent Pass can apply for a Singapore Long-Term Visit Pass. It allows them to stay in Singapore with their family for more than 30 days.
The following relatives qualify for a Singapore Long-Term Visit Pass. They include:
- Your spouse
- Your dependant child under 21 years
- Yor parents
- Your mother or grandmother, if you have a student pass
- Unmarried step-child under 21
In a nutshell, foreigners in Singapore who have an Employment Pass can bring their family members to the country. First, however, they must meet the requirements above. Plus, they must follow the steps.
In addition, they can contact the Ministry of Manpower to get the requirements to apply for the visa. They will also know if they qualify to bring their dependents to Singapore under the Dependent Pass program. Otherwise, they will apply for a Singapore LTVP.