Certain foreign nationals who are coming to Canada to support critical infrastructure, or are crucial for health and safety reasons, may be exempted from travel restrictions.
This category of essential workers may only need an electronic travel authorization (eTA) or temporary resident visa (TRV) to work in Canada, rather than a work permit.
However, foreign workers who are coming to Canada to support critical infrastructure and who are exempted from the travel restrictions, may also not need a work permit to work in Canada legally.
In addition, certain essential workers may also be exempt from the mandatory fourteen (14)-day quarantine period. This also means that they wouldn’t have to stay at a government-approved hotel for three (3) days when they land in Canada. These workers include the following:
- Emergency and medical service providers;
- Individuals allowed to work as a student in a health field, such as a clinical clerk or medical elective;
- Workers in the marine transportation sectors;
- Individuals who are maintaining, delivering, or repairing medically necessary equipment or devices;
- Individuals who are making medical deliveries of cells, blood and blood products, organs, tissues, and other body parts;
- Individuals providing essential services while in Canada, as set on by the Chief Public Health Officer (CPHO).
The Chief Public Health Officer has decided that certain workers are also providing an essential service in Canada.
These include technicians or specialists that are needed in Canada to install, inspect, repair, or maintain equipment that is necessary to support critical infrastructure.
If they will be executing their work as part of a current agreement, they can travel to Canada as business visitors. If their work is not part of a current agreement, they may need to acquire a work permit.
The Chief Public Health Officer also determined that workers are supporting certain open water aquaculture-related activities such as fishing, treating fish for pests, transporting fish, and repairs.
This category of foreign workers may be allowed to enter Canada. If they do not show any symptoms of coronavirus, they will also be exempt from the fourteen (14)-day quarantine requirement.
Apply for a temporary resident visa (TRV)
If you are an essential foreign worker who is looking to travel to Canada for the reasons stated above, you may need to apply for a TRV.
If you come from a visa-exempt country, you may be allowed entry to Canada without applying for a TRV, but may need an eTA document.