Are you planning to study in the Republic of Korea from any world? If so, you must apply for a South Korea Study Visa irrespective of nationality.
Over the years, South Korea has become one of the most preferred destinations for international students who desire to get a top-notch study abroad experience in the Asian region. All foreigners who wish to study in a South Korean school must hold a valid student visa. Studying in ROK comes with a wide range of benefits, which we noted in this article. The foremost reason to study in South Korea is that the country has a rapidly growing economy.
This article will guide you in applying for South Korea Study Visa and give reasons to consider studying in ROK. It will also inform you of the visa types, requirements, fees, processing time, and duration.
In this article
- Why Study in South Korea?
- Who Needs to Apply for South Korea Study Visa?
- Types of South Korea Study Visa
- #1. South Korea Short-term Study Visa
- #2. South Korea Long-term Study Visa
- South Korea Study Visa Fees
- Processing Time of South Korea Study Visa
- South Korea Study Visa Requirements
- How to Apply for South Korea Study Visa
- Step 1: Fix an appointment with a South Korean embassy or consulate
- Step 2: Fill out the application form for South Korea Study Visa
- Step 3: Pay your visa fee
- Step 4: Gather all the required documents and submit them
- Step 5: Await the Korean embassy or consulate’s decision
- Duration of South Korea Study Visa
- Top Universities in South Korea
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why Study in South Korea?
The following are reasons why international students should choose South Korea for further studies.
- The Republic of Korea possesses a fast-growing economy and is safe for international students from all countries.
- The cost of living and tuition fees in South Korea is relatively inexpensive compared to many developed countries. Besides, numerous scholarships are open to eligible international students in South Korea.
- South Korea is home to hundreds of accredited educational institutions. These schools admit international students to most of their programs and courses of study.
- Most schools in South Korea offer programs, courses, and instructions to students in English. This implies that you will not have to learn the Korean language.
- Studying in the Republic of Korea is not boring in any way. The reason is that there are scores of tourist attractions that are very affordable or free to visit in South Korea.
These include the Gyeongbokgung Palace, Nami Island, National Museum of Korea, Gwangan Bridge, Petite France, Starfield Library, Seoul City Wall Trail, Hamdeok Beach, Seoul Grand Park, Seoul Museum of Art, 63 Building, and Andong Hahoe Folk Village.
Who Needs to Apply for South Korea Study Visa?
It is a visa suitable for international students who want to further their education in the Republic of Korea (ROK). As such, you must apply for either a Short-term Student Visa or a Long-term one before you can begin your studies in a Korean educational institution.
Types of South Korea Study Visa
Korea Study Visa types are as follows.
#1. South Korea Short-term Study Visa
This student visa allows a foreign national to enter ROK for an academic course or program lasting less than 90 days.
#2. South Korea Long-term Study Visa
This type of Korean Study Visa authorizes its holder to enter South Korea for their university education or any other program that would last more than 90 days.
South Korea Study Visa Fees
The application fee for South Korea Study Visa varies. This depends on if your program or course will last for a short-term (less than 90 days) or a long-term (more than 90 days).
Thus, the Short-term Student Visa costs US$40, while the Long-Term Student Visa requires applicants to pay US$60.
Processing Time of South Korea Study Visa
It usually takes not less than 15 days for a South Korean embassy or consulate to process a study visa application. However, you should apply for the visa when it is three months ahead of your program or course’s start date.
South Korea Study Visa Requirements
As an international student about to apply for a Korean study visa, you must first assemble the following documents, as they are all mandatory for visa application processing.
- A filled-out South Korea Study Visa application form
- Your original passport must possess two unused pages, at least for new visas. It must also bear a minimum of six months validity period.
- Recently taken 3.5 cm x 4.5 cm photos of you against a white background
- Your recent account statement from your bank, which serves as your proof of subsistence
- Evidence of accommodation prepaid for the Republic of Korea
- A return travel ticket to ROK
- An acceptance letter from a South Korean educational institution (issued by an accredited school)
- At least one letter of reference
- Proof of South Korea Study Visa fee payment
How to Apply for South Korea Study Visa
International students who possess a letter of acceptance from a South Korean educational institution can apply for a study visa by taking the following steps.
- Fix an appointment with a South Korean embassy or consulate
- Fill out the application form for South Korea Study Visa
- Pay your visa fee
- Gather all the required documents and submit them
- Await the Korean embassy or consulate’s decision
Step 1: Fix an appointment with a South Korean embassy or consulate
To obtain a study visa for ROK, you must book an appointment with the nearest South Korean embassy or consulate.
Once you have done that, you can move on to the Second Step.
Step 2: Fill out the application form for South Korea Study Visa
The second step toward getting a study visa for ROK is completing its application form. You can visit the nearest Korean embassy or consulate to procure the form.
Step 3: Pay your visa fee
Next, you must pay the South Korea Study Visa fee, which ranges from 40 to 60 United States Dollars. You can pay the money in cash at the Korean diplomatic mission in your country of residence.
Step 4: Gather all the required documents and submit them
After making payment for your visa application fee, you must put together all the required documents mentioned in this article. You can then submit them to a Korean embassy or consulate.
Step 5: Await the Korean embassy or consulate’s decision
As the last step involved in getting South Korea Study Visa, you have to wait until you receive a notification from the embassy or consulate.
Bear in mind that the South Korea Study Visa application process does not consume much of the applicants’ time, but its processing can take up to three weeks.
Duration of South Korea Study Visa
As noted, there are two different types of study visas for the Republic of Korea.
A Korean Short-term Student Visa is valid for only 90 days, while a Long-Term Student Visa for ROK is usable for more than 90 days, even until you graduate from the institution.
Top Universities in South Korea
There are more than 230 universities in the Republic of Korea. Undoubtedly, many Korean universities have high rankings among other universities worldwide. Most of them teach students in English.
Below is a list of some of the top South Korean universities.
- University of Seoul
- Sejong University
- Chung Ang University
- Sungkyunkwan University
- Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology
- Jeonbuk National University
- Pusan National University
- Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology
- Pohang University of Science and Technology
- Hanyang University
- Yonsei University
- Kyungpook National University
- University of Ulsan
- Korea University
- Chonnam National University
- Yeungnam University
- Seoul National University
- Kyung Hee University
- Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology
- Ewha Woman’s University
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can international students study in Korea without a visa?
No, international students cannot continue their education in South Korea without a valid study visa.
Can I work with a South Korea Study Visa?
Yes, international students do not need a work visa to take a part-time job in the Republic of Korea. This means that you can study and work at the same time in South Korea.
Is South Korea Study Visa easy to get?
Of course, it is straightforward to get a study visa for the Republic of Korea through an embassy or consulate.
How long does it take to get a student visa to Korea?
The process of obtaining a student visa for the Republic of Korea usually takes up to three weeks. Therefore, an acceptance letter from a South Korean educational institution is critical.
Can international students apply for South Korea Study Visa without IELTS?
Yes, international students are not required to provide an IELTS exam result to apply for a study visa to ROK.
Is South Korea safe for international students?
Yes, the Republic of Korea (ROK) is a safe country for international students regardless of each student’s nationality. The country is generally peaceful and has a low crime rate. However, Gangseo District is the most dangerous part of South Korea for international students.
To sum up, South Korea Study Visas offer plenty of benefits and opportunities to foreigners who want a unique study abroad experience. With a valid study visa, you can further explore the fantastic Korean culture in any accredited educational institution in ROK.
If you seek to know more about any topic relating to moving, studying, working, and visiting Korea, you can check out other similar posts on our blog.
Thanks for reading!