St. Thomas University, Fredericton, Canada is a popular public university in the province of New Brunswick. Albeit a relatively small post-secondary institution, St. Thomas University Scholarships for International Students are quite extensive and popular for their effectiveness in empowering students from all regions of the world to obtain a university education.
St. Thomas University, Fredericton is also popularly referred to as the University of Saint Thomas, Saint Thomas, or just STU by its students and staff. The institution was established by the Catholic church as a school of liberal arts meant to cater to students of New Brunswick who wish to further their education in humanities, education, and social science courses.
However, Saint Thomas University as a Designated Institution of Learning (DLI) generously admits students from other provinces in Canada and those from other parts of the world. The institution has a structure that supports international students and makes their period of learning in the institution worthwhile.
St.Thomas University Scholarships for International Students
Scholarships, awards, and bursaries for international students at St. Thomas University are grouped into four major divisions:
- Entrance Scholarships
- Major Awards
- Students Leaders Scholarships
- Entrance bursaries
Entrance scholarships are one of the ways international students of stu can benefit from the financial services of the school. Entrance scholarships at St. Thomas University are granted to first-year students who have demonstrated academic excellence. The students to be awarded must have an admission average of at least 80%.
The Entrance scholarships go a long way to help international students of Saint Thomas because they are renewable in the second, third, and fourth year of schooling if students are able to maintain a GPA of 3.7 or more.
Entrance scholarships range in value from $500 to $5,000 depending on the donor and the performance of selected students.
Some of the St. Thomas University Entrance Scholarships for International Students are:
Bishop Barry Entrance Scholarship
The $1,000 scholarship is awarded annually to a student entering Saint Thomas for a program full-time. Such students must have a minimum admission average of 80%.
The Bishop Barry Entrance Scholarship is sponsored by the Diocese of St. John’s priests in honor of Thomas F. Barry who founded St. Thomas University in 1910.
Chancellor’s International Scholarship
The Chancellor’s International Scholarship is fully-funded tuition given to newly admitted international students of stu who demonstrate excellent academic performance and good leadership qualities.
For the Chancellor’s International Scholarship to be renewed, students must have an annual average of 3.7 or more.
Dawn Russell Scholarship
This is awarded every year to the best students entering their first year at Saint Thomas University. For the tuition scholarship to be renewed, students must maintain a GPA of no less than 3.7.
Frank McKenna Scholarship
Frank McKenna Scholarship is given annually to students entering into stu full-time who have demonstrated commendable academic performance and are among the top students admitted.
The Frank McKenna Scholarship is renewable when students are able to meet up with the 3.7 GPA criteria.
Gene Hayes Scholarship
This is awarded to students who make a minimum admission average of 80% and is valued at $2,000.
Other entrance scholarships available for international students of St. Thomas University are:
- Evelyn Sweezey Scholarship
- Francis M. McLaughlin Scholarship
- Irene Mulroney Entrance Scholarship
- Jackson Wright Memorial Scholarship
- Judge J. Thomas Tray Memorial Scholarship
- Kathrine L. Roderick Scholarship
- Mary t. Morris Entrance Scholarship
- Monsignor Donald C. Duffie Memorial Scholarship
- President’s International Scholarship
- Thomas Renewable Achievement Scholarship
- Thomas Renewable Scholars Scholarship
The Major Awards are St Thomas University’s largest awards for students. These are granted to both indigenous and international students of the institution who have been able to demonstrate academic excellence in any year of study.
Eligible students are those with an admission average of at least 80% or a high GPA for renewal of the awards.
Students may also be selected for major awards based on their performance in grade 11 and/or 12 courses, position in their graduating class, performance in standardized tests and exams, provision of academic reference, demonstration of leadership qualities, participation in extra-curricular activities, or demonstration of financial need.
Students Leaders Scholarships
St. Thomas University Scholarships for International Students also include Student Leaders scholarships which are awarded to students based on the high impact they have made in leadership positions and their contribution to the Saint Thomas community.
Students Leaders Scholarships are valued at $2,000 and are renewable up to students’ four-year stay at St. Thomas.
The eligibility requirements for the scholarships are:
- An admission average of at least 80%
- Active volunteerism
- Participation in extracurricular activities and demonstration of commendable leadership skills
- Commitment to improving the lives of others.
St Thomas University provides bursaries for international students who have been admitted into the school but will require financial assistance to start their education.
They are also open to indigenous students who are obtaining their first university education from the school. Entrance bursaries at stu are usually funded by staff, faculty, and other persons who display interest in the institution and its students.
Students who are interested in obtaining bursaries at St. Thomas University should submit a bursary application with the required documents through their application portal. The eligibility requirements for entrance bursaries are:
- Excellent academic performance in high school. This is assessed by the performance in Grade 12 courses and the level of difficulty; performance in Grade 11 courses; and the rank in graduating class.
- Students should be able to provide required documents such as scores in standardized tests, SATs, provincial achievement exams, letters of academic reference, and so on.
- International students should be able to meet other criteria required of each entrance bursary such as leadership quality, participation in extra-curricular activities, volunteerism, etc.
- Students should be able to demonstrate financial need to benefit from the bursaries.
Entrance bursaries are not available for students who have previous university experience such as transfer students or students entering St Thomas University for a second degree (Basic or Master’s).
The bursaries generally range in value between $500 and $3,000 depending on how much financial assistance a student might require.
Applying for the St. Thomas University Scholarships for International Students
International students can apply for scholarships, bursaries, and other awards at Saint Thomas University once they have received an offer of admission (proven by a Letter of Acceptance). Students can then proceed to their portals to apply for scholarships, bursaries, and/or awards as they wish.
The application process for St Thomas University Scholarships for International Students are:
- Completing and submitting the scholarship application form
- Providing a typed letter of about one or two pages stating why students think they qualify for one scholarship or the other. Students should provide strong points that can improve their eligibility for scholarships in this letter. This can include:
- Their participation in volunteerism and extra-curricular activities
- Their involvement in leadership positions in previous schools
- The reasons for pursuing university education and reasons for applying to St. Thomas University
- Hobbies, talents and special projects students may have been involved in
- Demonstration of financial need if applicable
- Uploading a resume that outlines all of students activities since high school, including academic performance, certifications, and jobs students might have had
- Providing a letter of reference. Recognized referees for St. Thomas University scholarships include teachers, high school principals, or the guidance counselor. The letter of reference should include why the referee thinks the student should be a scholarship candidate. The referee can talk about students’ behavior and other criteria that will serve as a strong point for selection such as those already mentioned in point two above.
Students are to ensure they properly and correctly provide all information required of them in the scholarship application form. The scholarship application form can be uploaded directly through the students’ application portal while other attached documents, after being uploaded, should also be sent to the Admissions Office through any of the following means:
St. Thomas University Office Address
Physical Adress: 51 Dineen Drive Fredericton,
New Brunswick, Canada
Fax: 1 506 452 0617
Email Adress: [email protected]
The ultimate criteria for benefiting from the St. Thomas University Scholarships for International Students is becoming a student of the university after having applied to the school.
International Students who are interested in studying at stu can check through the school’s websites for the admission requirements, tuition fees, application time, and resumption dates before submitting their application for admission.
Q.How Many Students are at St. Thomas University?
Ans. Saint Thomas has about 2,000 students admitted for study at any point in time. The classes are small with most of them accommodating about just 30 students with no class housing more than 60 students at one time.
This gives students the opportunity to interact with their lecturers and colleagues on a close range, providing an environment for prime learning and assimilation.
Q. Where is St. Thomas University Located?
Ans. Saint Thomas University is a public university located in Fredericton, the capital city of the province of New Brunswick, Canada.