Steps To Obtaining An Employment Authorization To Work In The U.S

To obtain an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), also referred to as an EAD card, work permit, or working permit, is a document given by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) which vindicates that the holder is authorized to work in the United States. An EAD is a plastic card generally valid for one year and is renewable and replaceable.

All Applicants For An Employment Authorization Document EAD can request:

  • Permission to accept employment
  • Replacement of a lost EAD
  • The renewal of permission to accept employment
  • An eligibility for an EAD

However, US citizens and permanent residents don’t need an Employment Authorization Document or any other work permit to work in the US, except their Green Card if such is a permanent resident.

All employees, including U.S. citizens and permanent residents, are required to prove eligibility to work in the US. The following groups of foreign workers are entitled to apply for an Employment Authorization Document:

  • Asylees and asylum seekers
  • Refugees
  • Students seeking certain employment types
  • Foreign nationals in the United States processing the final stage of permanent residence
  • Particular nationals countries offered Temporary Protected Status (TPS) owing to conditions in their home countries
  • Spouses and finances of U.S. citizens
  • Dependents of foreign government officials
  • J-2 spouses or minor children of exchange visitors
  • Other workers due to circumstances.
  • Also, many beneficiaries and their dependents are permitted to work in the United States or even more specifically for a particular employer as a result of their non-immigrant status.

How To Obtain An Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

Information on eligibility and forms to apply for an Employment Authorization Document are available on the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

Renewing Employment Authorization Documents (EADs)

If you are legitimately working in the United States and your EAD has or is about to expire, you may file for a renewed EAD with the Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization. An employee may file for a renewal EAD before the original copy expires, so long as the application isn’t processed more than 120 days before expiry.