There is an increasing out-migration of young people from Angola into Canada for educational purposes. A good percentage of Angola’s 32,870,000 population in 2020, multitude of youths have moved to study in Canada from Angola.
No matter your current city or town in Angola, you can also seek for admission into Canadian colleges and universities that possesses authorization from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada to run as a Designated Learning Institution.
Generally speaking, studying in a Canadian post-secondary institution like the University of British Columbia, Reeves College, Humber College or Lakeland University comes with great benefits compared to studying in Angolan universities. Nonetheless, Angola has some good universities such as Agostinho Neto University or Universidade Lusiada.
Although you will pay more to study in Canada but the advantages are incomparable on the long run.
All things considered, you can apply to study in Canada from Angola irrespective of current location in Angola (Bengo, Bié, Huambo, Benguela, Uige, Malanje, Cunene, Namibe, Moxico, Cuanza Sul, etc)
Hence, this article will provide you with resourceful information on getting admission to study in Canada from Angola, including advantages, average tuition fee, study permit application, study loan, scholarship applications, and more.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada from Angola?
- Popular Canadian Provinces for Angolan Students
- Types of Programs Angolan Students can Study in Canada
- Cost of Studying in Canada from Angola
- Average Tuition Fee for Int’l Students
- Minimum Personal Support Amount in Canada
- Who can Sponsor Angolan Students to Canada
- Study Loan for Angolan Students in Canada
- Other Costs to think about to Study in Canada from Angola
- Scholarship for Angolan Students in Canada
- General Eligibility for Scholarships
- Organizations that offer Scholarships to Angolans
- How to Apply for Scholarship to Study in Canada from Angola
- Full vs. Partially funded Scholarships
- How to apply for Admission in Canada from Angola
- Minimum Academic Requirements
- Undergraduate Program Academic Requirements
- Graduate Program Academic Requirements
- English/French Language Requirements
- Other Requirements
- Steps to Apply for Admission from Angola
- Self Application vs. Use of Consultants/Representatives
- Applying for Canada Study Visa from Angola
- Study Permit Canada Requirements
- Study Permit Canada Fees
- Study permit Canada document checklist
- Study permit Canada processing time
- Paper vs. online application
- Study visa application offices in Angola
- How to check study permit application status
Why Study in Canada from Angola?
If you are unable to find reasons to apply to study in Canada from Angola, the information below can be helpful to you.
- Firstly, there is no form of discrimination in Canada, which makes all cities and towns ideal for Angolan students.
- Secondly, it is easy and quick to secure employment in Canada than Angola.
Besides, many Canadian colleges and universities have proven that up to 85% of their graduates got employment shortly after graduation.
- Thirdly, Canadian colleges are one of the best worldwide as they avail opportunities for Angolan students to work in a relevant industry for work experience while studying.
However, this is possible through practicum, co-op programs, etc.
- Fourthly, Angolan students are not restricted from applying for study loans or scholarships.
- Fifthly, graduating from Canadian universities earns you points under express entry Compressive Ranking System (CRS) when you are applying for permanent residency.
Popular Canadian Provinces for Angolan Students
Out of the ten Canadian provinces and three territories, you are more likely to find more Angolan students in the following provinces.
Without doubts, Quebec is the largest of all Canadian provinces and territories. You will definitely meet more Angolans in Quebec than in other provinces and territories in Canada.
Since up to 90% of the literates in Cabinda province, Angola are Francophone, Angolan students prefer to study in Quebec due to its unique official language (French).
Located Southeastern Canada, New Brunswick is another Canadian province where you can find many Angolan students.
This is probably because of its bi-language nature (English & French).
Certainly, a large number of Angolan students have resumed studies in Ontario’s post-secondary institutions.
Besides, Angolans choose to study in Ontario province due to its commercial and booming economy.
Some Angolan students also love to study and stay in Ontario because its the province located central Canada.
Types of Programs Angolan Students can Study in Canada
Angolan students basically apply for studies into the following academic programs in Canada.
- Undergraduate programs: Most Angolans who come to study in Canada from Angola are enrolled in an undergraduate program under a discipline.
For this reason, you can apply for diploma, certificate, advanced diploma or for a bachelor degree program at any post-secondary institution in Canada.
- Graduate Diploma (GDip): As an Angolan student who have completed first degree, you may need to complete a graduate diploma program before applying for a graduate degree program in Canada.
- Masters: You will truly find many Angolans studying a Master degree program in Canada.
Examples of these programs include Masters of Science, Masters of Art, Masters of Public Health, Masters of Fine Art, Masters of Public Administration, and more.
- MBA: Some Angolans who wants to become professionals are currently enrolled in a Master in Business Administration degree program in Canada, which can be completed in two (2) years.
- PhD/Doctorate: Through this program, you can become part of the prominent Angolans who earned their Doctorate degree in Canada.
Of course, PhD programs requires at least three (3) years of study in Canada.
Cost of Studying in Canada from Angola
Read through to know the average tuition, least personal support amount, student sponsors, study loan, as well as other costs to study in Canada from Angola.
Average Tuition Fee for Int’l Students
Here is the average tuition fee you should include in your budget in order to study in Canada from Angola.
|Programs||Canadian Dollars (CAD $)||Angolan Kwanza (AOA)|
|Undergraduate||14,000 to 21,000||6,808,120 to 10,212,775|
|Graduate (GDip, Masters & PhD)||9,000 to 27,000||4,376,650 to 13,129,940|
Minimum Personal Support Amount in Canada
Certainly, at least 4,862,940 AOA (CAD $10,000) need to be budgeted for living expenses before coming to study in Canada from Angola.
Who can Sponsor Angolan Students to Canada
Without doubt, you can get sponsorship to study in Canada from Angola from your;
- Parent or family member
- Relation, etc
Study Loan for Angolan Students in Canada
Of course, Angolan students are eligible for student loans in Canada from MPOWER Financing.
Furthermore, MPOWER Financing is one of the best fixed-rate study loans for Angolan students. You do not need to have a credit history or consignor in order to qualify for the loan.
However, you can apply for amounts ranging from CAD $ 2,000 to CAD $100,000 for superb discount interest rates.
Other Costs to think about to Study in Canada from Angola
Aside from tuition fee, it is important that you pay the following fees as you start preparing to study in Canada from Angola.
|Fees||Canadian Dollars (CAD $)||Angolan Kwanza (AOA)|
|Flight from Luanda, Angola to Canada||3,075||1,495,000|
|Student services fees||250||121,580|
|Textbooks & supplies||600||291,780|
Scholarship for Angolan Students in Canada
Check here for information on scholarships eligibility, organizations that avail scholarships, application process, etc.
General Eligibility for Scholarships
Indeed, Angolan students receive multitude of entrance scholarships automatically in Canada based on academic merits.
Therefore, you only need to prepare towards earning an admission average of at least 70% in order to become eligible.
Organizations that offer Scholarships to Angolans
Below are organizations that make provision of scholarships to Angolans who are willing to study in Canada from Angola.
- British Council
- Rotary Foundation
- The Leakey Foundation
- The International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)
- Aga Khan Foundation
- The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS)
- Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (STLHE)
- The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
How to Apply for Scholarship to Study in Canada from Angola
Entrance scholarships mostly do not require applications by Angolan students in Canada.
However, you can apply for some other Angolan student scholarships in Canada.
For this purpose, you are required to check the website of each organization that provides scholarships to Angolan students for instructions on application processes since they have various requirements.
Full vs. Partially funded Scholarships
Indeed, full scholarships provide financial aids based on your tuition amount for a year of study while partially funded scholarships pay a portion of your tuition fee.
Examples of partially funded scholarships for Angolan students in Canada
- Eduard Gubelin Research Scholarship
- Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) Dick Martin Scholarship Award
- International Brain Research Organization (IBRO)’s African Regional Committee (ARC) Bursaries
- The Leakey Foundation-Franklin Mosher Baldwin Memorial Fellowships
Examples of fully funded scholarships for Angolan students in Canada
- University of Toronto – Petro Jacyk Visiting Scholars Program in Canada.
How to apply for Admission in Canada from Angola
This area avails information on the requirements and steps that can get you enrolled in a program of study in Canada from Angola.
Minimum Academic Requirements
Undoubtedly, academic requirements must be met regardless of if you are applying for undergraduate or graduate study in Canada from Angola.
Undergraduate Program Academic Requirements
If you are applying for admission into an undergraduate program in Canada, you need to meet the following requirements.
- Provide transcript of high school grade 10, 11, as well as 12. You are also required to provide your Secondary School Leaving Certificate with at least C in each course.
- Achieve a minimum entrance average of 70% in order to qualify admissions and entrance scholarships.
Graduate Program Academic Requirements
If you have already completed your first degree at The University Lueji A’Nkonde (ULAN), Universidade Privada de Angola or in Agostinho Neto University, you are required to satisfy the following requirements to qualify for admission into graduate programs.
- You must have completed your first degree
- Moreover, you need to submit your official post-secondary transcripts of study to the Canadian college or university.
English/French Language Requirements
Undeniably, Angolans who want to study in Canada from Angola are required to partake in an English or French language proficiency test.
With this in mind, you need to take any of the following tests.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Overall score not less than 7.0; Minimum of 6.0 per band
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Least overall score of 90; Minimum of 22 per band
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP): Minimum overall score of 7; At least 6 per band
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) assessment: Score not below 70
- Pearson Test of English (PTE): Least overall score of 60
- Duolingo English Test: Minimum overall score of 120
- Michigan English Test: Overall score nor below 90
- TCF Canada – Test de Connaissance du Français Canada
- TEF Canada – Test d’Evaluation de Français Canada
NOTE: The scores above is only a description of the most common language requirements of Canadian post-secondary institutions.
Besides, the minimum overall score and band score of each language proficiency test varies by institution, as well as by type of program.
- Statement of purpose/letter of intent: You will be required to write a single-paged essay during the process of applying to study in Canada from Angola.
- Letter of reference(s): Canadian post-secondary institutions usually demand Angolan students to submit reference letter(s) from certain individuals such as teachers, etc.
Steps to Apply for Admission from Angola
The following steps can help you complete the application process for admission to study in Canada from Angola.
- Firstly, you need to find out the post-secondary institutions that offers your preferred program of study.
- Secondly, check for information on tuition fee, student accommodations, financial aids, student services, and most especially admission requirements.
- Thirdly, pay application fee, follow the institution’s guidelines on applying for admission, as well as for submitting the required documents.
- Fourthly, you have to wait for sometime in order to allow the educational institution to decide on your application.
- Fifthly, the institution will send you a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) if your application was approved.
- Sixthly, you need to apply for a Canadian study permit. You may get in touch with the Consulate of Canada in Luanda, Angola for assistance.
- Above all, you can travel to Canada and resume study if your application for study permit was successful.
Self Application vs. Use of Consultants/Representatives
Undoubtedly, Angolan students can apply for admissions into Canadian colleges and universities through a consultant/representative or by themselves.
Hence, you need to fill out and submit use of a representation form in order to engage the services of an authorized consultant.
Besides, most Angolan students apply for their admission to study in Canada from Angola by consulting or hiring a consultant/representative in any part of the country.
Thus, you can reach out to the following Angolan educational consultants.
- Centro de Ajuda Académica
Address: R. 49,Luanda, | Projecto Nova Vida, Rua 49, Prédio nº 53;
Apartamento nº 01 – Luanda, Luanda, Angola
Phone number: +244 921 183 806
- PLANETA EDUCAR
Address: No. 144, R. da Liberdade 144,
Phone number: +244 927 198 265
Applying for Canada Study Visa from Angola
Covers detailed information on Canadian study permit requirements, fees, document checklist, processing time, among others.
Study Permit Canada Requirements
Before you can get authorization to study in Canada from Angola, you need to fulfill some criterion with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Hence, you are required to;
- Have received a Letter of Acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
- Proof criminal records using a police certificate
- Undergo medical examination
- Provide proof to fund
- Show cogent evidence to the visa officer of your readiness to depart Canada after your study permit expires.
Study Permit Canada Fees
As an Angolan student, you are subject to a payment of $150 Canadian Dollars for your study permit application fee.
Besides, this amount is equivalent to 72,524 Angolan Kwanza (AOA).
Study permit Canada document checklist
Of course, each Angolan student who is studying in Canada applied for a Canadian study permit using some documents.
These documents include;
- Valid passport or traveling document: This serves as a proof of your identity, along with two (2) recent passport photographs.
- Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) to begin a program of study.
Nevertheless, you may not need LOA if you have a family member who possesses a valid study or work permit.
- Letter of explanation: You are expected to compose a letter containing your purpose for applying to a Canadian post-secondary institution instead of studying in Angola.
- Proof of funds: Indeed, you are required to show that you have set aside enough funds to pay for your tuition and all other expenses in Canada.
Thus, you need to provide any of the following documents; tuition fee receipt, Canadian bank account, bank draft, recent bank statements, student loan documents, Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC), scholarship documents, etc.
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ): If you are an Angolan who has received LOA from a college or university in Quebec, you need a CAQ from Gouvernement du Québec.
Study permit Canada processing time
Regardless of your current city/town in Angola or the institution that sent you a LOA, you need to wait for an estimated period for your study permit to be processed.
For this purpose, Canadian study permit processing time takes up to 14 weeks for Angolan students who desire to study in a college or university in Canada.
Paper vs. online application
As an Angolan student, you can apply for your study permit to travel to Canada for an academic program using the internet (online) or by paper application.
Besides, majority of Angolans who are studying in Canada applied for their study permit online instead of paper applications.
This is because online application for Canadian study permit is swift, easy and stressless inasmuch as your documents are in PDF.
Moreover, Government of Canada recommended that all international students, including Angolans should apply for their study permit online except if the online application is not functioning as supposed.
Study visa application offices in Angola
Here is the contact information of the visa application office in Luanda, Angola.
- Consulate of Canada:
Address: 1st Floor, Atlantic Towers,
Rua Rei Katyavala 113, Luanda, Angola
Phone number: +244 222 448-371
- Email: [email protected]
How to check study permit application status
Certainly, you can check the application status of your study permit online through two ways, which includes using your GCKey or Canadian banking information.
However, using GCKey requires you to enter your username and password in order to gain access to your study permit application status.
If you have already created a Canadian bank account online, you can use your banking details to view your application status.
In that case, your bank account should be with any of these Canadian banks.
- Bank of Montreal (BMO)
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
- Servus Credit Union
- Tangerine Bank
- ATB Financial
- National Bank of Canada
- Royal Bank of Canada
- Conexus Credit Union
- Simplii Financial Bank
- Caisse Alliance
- TD Bank, etc
How much does it cost to study in Canada from Angola?
It is likely to cost up to 17,000,000 Angolan Kwanza (AOA) per year
What is best time to apply for study in Canada from Angola?
You can apply to study in Canada at almost any time. However, it is best to apply between April to September.
Do I need IELTS or TOEFL to study in Canada from Angola?
Of course, you can take IELTS or TOEFL test in order to meet fulfill the language requirements of Canadian post-secondary institutions.
Can Angolan students work in Canada while studying?
Absolutely, you are not restricted from working on campus or off campus in Canada.
Is Canada the best country for Angolan students?
Yes, Canada has been proven in numerous ways to be the best country for Angolan students.