Are you from Barbados and intend to study in Canada from Barbados? or you are looking for a complete guide on how to migrate from Barbados to Canada as a student? You have arrived at the right place. With resources gotten from migration experts and educational firms, we have been able to give a comprehensive analysis of all you need to know while migrating to study in Canada from Barbados.
Canada has quite a number of students from Barbados schooling in the country. Thanks to the diplomatic relations between the two countries which has made it quite easy for students to migrate and study in Canada from Barbados.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada from Barbados?
- Benefits of studying in Canada from Barbados
- Prospects in Canada for Barbadian Students After Study
- Popular Canadian provinces for Barbados students
- Types of programs Barbadian students can study in Canada
- Cost of Studying in Canada for Barbados Students
- Most affordable universities in Canada for Barbadian Students
- Scholarship for Barbados students in Canada
- How to apply for admission in Canada from Barbados
- Requirements for Admission in Canada Universities from Barbados
- Applying for a Canada study visa from Barbados
- Requirements for Canada Study Permit from Barbados
Why Study in Canada from Barbados?
Barbados is a fast developing Caribbean nation but can not be compared to the numerous opportunities and prospects waiting for students in Canada. Canada as a top-tier world economy presents a larger scope of prospects than Barbados. The country runs a functional system that caters to everyone irrespective of color, race, or background.
Students are easily employed after study and can also be gainfully employed in part-time jobs while studying.
Benefits of studying in Canada from Barbados
- Sound Healthcare.
- Employment opportunities.
- Affordable cost of living.
- Low crime rate.
- Religious tolerance.
- Scholarship opportunities.
Prospects in Canada for Barbadian Students After Study
There are many fields of opportunities in Canada for Barbadian students. Depending on the area one majored in, Barbados students can see their selves working in the healthcare sector, Engineering, Media or other in-demand skilled areas.
Canada is currently in need of more hands to match the growing demand for jobs. Therefore, this might just be the right time to migrate as a student from Barbados to Canada.
Below are prospective fields one can decide to major in.
- Financial services.
- Arts and Entertainment.
- Real Estate.
- Sports, and more.
Popular Canadian provinces for Barbados students
In order to help students make the best decisions on the provinces to study in Canada, we have also brought out the best Canadian provinces for Barbadian students. These places we believe will help students adjust easily to life in Canada. The cost of living in a good number of them are affordable and happen to be the student-friendliest provinces in Canada for Barbados students. They also have employment opportunities as well as other prospects waiting for students to explore.
Types of programs Barbadian students can study in Canada
Considering the large scope of studies institutions in Canada cover, it is not surprising to see many pursuing it to the highest level. Nevertheless, Canada allows students from Barbados the equal opportunity of taking their studies to whichever level they want. Provided, they met the eligibility requirements.
Undergraduate Program: Undergraduate degrees last not longer than 4 years in Canada. It requires a High school certificate to engage in. Students are awarded B.sc. B.A, B.Ed certificates at the end of the program.
Average cost for Bachelors: CA$25000
Masters Program: After a graduate degree, students who wants to further to their masters level are equally given the opportunity to go for it in Canada. Masters degree students are awarded MBA, M.sc, e.t.c at the end of the program which usually lasts no longer than 2 years or less.
Average cost for Masters: CA$12000 – CA$14000.
Ph.D. Program: With either scholarship, recommendation, or direct admission, students from Barbados can enroll for a Ph.D. program in Canada. Some Ph.D. programs can last for a period of 4 years or less depending on the program of study.
Average cost for Doctorate: CA$22,000.
Cost of Studying in Canada for Barbados Students
We wish to mention that the cost of studying in Canada from Barbados goes beyond just the tuition fee. Many other things like travel fees, accommodation, feeding, books, transportation, and other fees also come to play.
Tuition cost of studying in Canada from Barbados: The tuition cost in Canada largely depends on the type of institution and program of study. While the minor programs will cost a lower amount the highly professional course tend to costs relatively high.
Bachelor’s Degree (550 – 30,000 CAD/year) .
Masters Degree (1,075 – 65,000 CAD/year) .
Barbados Students Costs of Living in Canada: Just like we said earlier, the cost of studying in Canada from Barbados is beyond just the tuition. Feeding, transport, books, accommodation among many other things are equally as important as the cost of tuition in Canada. Students will spend more on living costs if they reside in busy cities and high-brow areas. The student-friendly cities listed above remain the most recommended.
The average cost of living is pegged at CA$10,000 for Barbadian students studying in Canada.
Most affordable universities in Canada for Barbadian Students
In our efforts to help you make the right decision on the choice of school especially if you have a thin budget, we have made a compiled list of cheap and affordable universities in Canada for Barbados students.
- Memorial University of Newfoundland – tuition fees: 2,150 – 11,460 CAD/year
- University of Regina – tuition fees: 1,715 – 20,050 CAD/year
- Royal Roads University – tuition fees: 3,750 – 27,600 CAD/year
- University of Saskatchewan – tuition fees: 4,110 – 24,000 CAD/year
- Athabasca University – tuition fees: 1,625 – 17,250 CAD/year.
Scholarship for Barbados students in Canada
Scholarships go a long way in cutting down the costs of study in Canada. We enjoin students from Barbados to try as much as they can to apply for the available scholarships.
General Requirements/Eligibility for Barbadian Student Scholarships in Canada
- Excellent academic record.
- Must have been accepted to study in a Canadian university from Barbados.
- Evidence of good behavior.
- Evidence of financial need (If required) .
Undergraduate Scholarships for Barbados Students in Canada
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships
- York University International Student Scholarship Program
- University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
- Carleton Prestige Scholarships
- Calgary International Entrance Scholarships
- Winnipeg President’s Scholarships for World Leaders
- Humber College International Entrance Scholarships
Graduate Scholarships for Barbados Students in Canada
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowships
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
- University of Waterloo Master’s Awards of Excellence
- University of Calgary Graduate Awards
Furthermore, students can equally apply for government-sponsored Canadian scholarships from Barbados. Visit our scholarship section.
How to apply for admission in Canada from Barbados
Canada Visa application from Barbados, courtesy of the diplomatic relationship between the two countries has been made easy. With the help of our research associates and migration experts we have been able to list the most important steps to take while applying for admission in Canada from Barbados
Below is the step-by-step process required.
- Apply to the chosen institution.
- Pay the application fee and take IELTS if required.
- Receive an offer for admission.
- Submit visa application.
- Get your grant letter and prepare to leave for studies.
Requirements for Admission in Canada Universities from Barbados
Our outline shall deal with the most basic requirements most basic requirements. Based on the course of study and duration , institutions might have additional requirements from the students.
- A recent passport photograph.
- Transcripts from previous institution (CGPA, High School Cert, B.sc)
- Proof of language proficiency (TOEFL/IELTS; Though not compulsory for some institutions) .
- Evidence of financial support. Letter of recommendation.
Applying for a Canada study visa from Barbados
In our years of providing migration details for students that intend to study in Canada. We have been able to identify that one can also engage the services of third ty migration consultancy firms. Nevertheless, aside them you can apply directly with the steps mentioned so far.
We equally advise students to apply very early for their visa like 3-4 months before the final intake of students by the school of choice. This allow enough time for your visa to come out which is very necessary for your travel.
Canada migration policy for Barbadian students has been made easy. Therefore students should ensure they utilize the opportunity and apply to gain admission to study in Canada.
Requirements for Canada Study Permit from Barbados
Complete all the required documents. (Admission letter, ID Card, Medical Statement, e.t.c).
- A Visa application must be made at the Canadian Embassy in Thailand either online or in person.
- An interview would also be scheduled.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Evidence of financial healthiness on the part of the sponsor.
Submission of Applications Canadian study permit can be done in two
ways. Either online or in person. Online can be done on Immigration,
Refugees and Citizenship Canada, IRCC’s website or in person at the Canada Visa Application center in Barbados.
How to check study permit application status
Barbadian students can keep tabs on the progress of their application on the
website. Students can equally update information about their applications
Study Permit Application Fee: $150 (CAD)
Biometric Fee: $50 (CAD).
How much does it cost to study in Canada from Barbados?
Apart from the cost of feeding, accommodation, and other sundry expenses, students are
likely to spend an average of CA$ 29,560 annually on tuition.
What is the best time to apply for study in Canada from Barbados?
Application is best done 3-5 months before your program takes off.
How to get a scholarship to study in Canada from Barbados? Maintain sound
academic grades and you could win a recommendation for a scholarship.
How to study in Canada after graduation from Barbados?
Visit the website of the preferred institution and apply. On the other hand, you equally can engage the services of consultancy firms to help you make the right choice.
Do I need IELTS or TOEFL to study in Canada from Barbados?
TOEFL/IELTS is not compulsory for all universities in Canada.
What is the population of Barbadian students in Canada?
An estimated 20,000 Barbadian students live in Canada.
Can Barbadian students work in Canada while studying?
With a work permit, Barbadian students can work part-time jobs in Canada while studying.
Is Canada the best country for Barbadian students?
With the world-class education and variety of opportunities in the country, it is ok to say
Canada might just be the best country for Barbadian students.
The bilateral diplomatic relationship between Canada and Barbados has been mutually beneficial, as we said earlier. Canada is currently offering Thai students the opportunity to migrate and enjoy the benefits of this relationship. For students, a good financial state is very important.
The best candidates for studying in Canada from Barbados are self-motivated, disciplined, and law-abiding.. If you engage in any conduct that can harm the safety or peace of others, Canadian authorities will not hesitate to deport you.
Hence, Barbadian students wishing to study in Canada from Barbados should maintain good self-conduct. For more insight on what we mean, you may wish to check out Canada’s top ten deportable offenses.