Canada remains the most desired country for significant number of undergraduates and postgraduates Bhutanese to study from. The Bhutanese are fully aware of the proximity to top Asian countries like China, Indian, Japan, and Korean to study yet they flew to Canada in their good numbers.
Canada is like the second home for Bhutanese because as at march 2020 there were 6800 Bhutanese refugees in Canada. Learn how to study in Canada from Bhutan in 2022-23.
Studying in Canada from Bhutan is a very simple process considering the friendly immigration policies for international studies.
The study permit is the most vital document to guarantee your stay and access to other benefits as a Bhutanese in Canada.
This article will give a clear guide on all that is needed to be admitted into Canada institutions, smooth academic pursuit and lots of benefits attached.
In this article
- Reasons to Study in Canada from Bhutan
- Quality of life
- Reputable Institutions
- Cheap Universities and Colleges
- Opportunity to work as a Student
- Prospects for International Students After Study in Canada
- A High Tech Country
- Popular Canadian Cities for Bhutanese Students in Canada
- Types of Programs to Study in Canada from Bhutan
- Tuition fee for Bhutanese in Canada
- Other Costs to think about to Study in Canada from Bhutan
- Minimum financial personal support amount in Canada
- How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Bhutan
- Minimum academic requirements for undergraduate programs
- Minimum academic requirements for graduate programs
- English/French language requirements
- English language proficiency tests
- French language proficiency tests
- Other Requirements
- Steps to follow when applying for Admission from Bhutan
- Applying for a Canada Study Visa from Bhutan
- Study Permits Canada Requirements
- Study permit Canada document checklist
- Method of Application
Reasons to Study in Canada from Bhutan
Quality of life
Canada is ranked as the first country when it comes to quality of life being enjoyed by the Canadian citizens and the international students. Canada is ranked the 14th happiest country in the world as compared to Bhutan which is ranked 95th. The quality of life with fulltime happiness is guaranteed as a Bhutanese studying in Canada.
Canada continues to retain her glory as one of the best country for international students when it comes to quality and outstanding educational knowledge and exposure from the elementary level to advance level.
Canada has ten of its university amongst the 250 top best universities in the world. The provincial government officials are always there to track and ensure standard compliance from Cities down to villages across the province in Canada.
Regardless where you desire to study you will received a comprehensive and indebt knowledge you desire practically and theoretical. More programs have been added to international streams in 2022-23.
Cheap Universities and Colleges
It is fundamental that not all Bhutanese willing to study in Canada are wealthy enough or capable to afford study loan in Canada to study in expensive universities and colleges in Canada.
However, there are cities in Quebec, British Columbia, Ontario and Manitoba province in Canada with cheap Universities and Colleges that has low tuition fee alongside low cost of living while you still get the quality education and exposure you desire. cheap
There are scholarships available to cover up for tuition fee for qualify international students in which Bhutanese aren’t excluded from this opportunities.
Opportunity to work as a Student
In Canada universities and College you will have the opportunity to work as a student for a maximum of 20 hours weekly to make money for yourself; this will not make you go out cash.
You will get paid minimum of CAD $19 per hour, all that is required is your time management.
Prospects for International Students After Study in Canada
Job creation is being given top priority by the Canadian government there by making the unemployment rate of the country to be considerably low (6.9%).
The numerous jobs are readily available for international students that graduated from the universities and colleges in Canada.
All that is required of the students is to upgrade their study permit by applying for post graduate work permit to enable access the available jobs.
The average disposable Salary after tax is CAD $2,773 monthly; this is no doubt higher than a Bhutanese working in Bhutan.
A High Tech Country
When it comes to application of information communication technology (ICT) in critical areas like telecommunications, animation, transportation, engineering, microelectronics, biotechnology etc Canada is known for such reputation for excellence.
It is also on record that Canada was among the first in the world to recognize the need to connect schools and libraries to the Internet. Availability of wireless around the campuses, public transports and other public places is unmatched.
Popular Canadian Cities for Bhutanese Students in Canada
The major cities where you will find the Bhutanese students in their good numbers include:
Types of Programs to Study in Canada from Bhutan
Canada currently has 100 Universities and 200 colleges with special approved institutes of learning.
This significant number of higher institutions makes it easier for students to search for different courses available in the three categories of programs been run in the institutions. The programs include:
- Undergraduate 3 to 4 years
- Diploma 1 to 2 years
- Post graduate (masters degree, MBA and PhD.) 2 to 3 years
Tuition fee for Bhutanese in Canada
Tuition fees are considerably low in Canada but when you intend to study courses like medicine, engineering, legal, business administration, computer science etc. as undergraduate you will be paying higher likewise masters in Business Administration.
On average the minimum tuition fee for undergraduate is CAD$13,000 and the maximum which is for MBA is CAD$40,000 annually.
Other Costs to think about to Study in Canada from Bhutan
Flight to Toronto, Canada from Paro, Bhutan: CAD $463 to CAD $1,354 (27,852 BTN to 81,473)
Student fees: CAD $600 (36,074 BTN)
Accommodation – two students per room: CAD $1,500 (90,168 BTN)
Meal plan: CAD $2,000 (120,224 BTN)
Health insurance: CAD $250 (15,028 BTN)
Books & supplies: CAD $650 (39,072 BTN)
Minimum financial personal support amount in Canada
To conveniently study in Canada while coming from Bhutan it is advisable to have a minimum of CA$10,000 (~US$7,650) for every year of your study
CA$11,000/~US$8,400 if you’re applying to study in Quebec.
How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Bhutan
Applying for Admission in Canada is one of the easiest when compared to other competing countries. However, things you need to know as an intending applicant are the basic requirements and the simplified steps which are stated below:
Minimum academic requirements for undergraduate programs
- Admissions/entrance average not below 70%.
- Certificate of high school education (BHSEC) class 12 with official transcript featuring no grade below C in each course.
Minimum academic requirements for graduate programs
- The applicant must have completed a degree program at a college or university in Bhutan or any other reputable university.
English/French language requirements
It is a must that has an applicant applying to study in Canada from Bhutan; you will need to put your English or French language skills to the test.
The Language proficiency tests results enable the Canadian Universities or Colleges measure your reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills in either English or French language while considering you for admission.
Find below some popular English/French proficiency tests you can take as a Bhutanese.
English language proficiency tests
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
- Michigan English Test
- Cambridge Assessment English test
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) exam
- Duolingo English Test
- Pearson Test of English
- Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST)
French language proficiency tests
- Test de Connaissance du Français Canada (TCF)
- Test d’Evaluation de Français Canada (TEF)
- Curriculum vitae or resume
- Reference letter
- Letter of intent
Steps to follow when applying for Admission from Bhutan
- Choose your desired course from the wide-ranging programs available in Canada.
- Check all the necessary documents required and ensure you have them , they include: Bhutan Passport, results of language proficiency test, , clearance certificate, immigration medical examination certificate etc
- Check program’s requirements to know if you are Eligible or not.
- Apply : This can be done online or offline, also you could do either of the options personally or you contract it to consultants that are very familiar with the application process, this better but required charges. If you choose to apply online, you will need to pay the application fee and upload all relevant documents while for offline you need to visit the Canadian embassy to fill all necessary form with your documents attached, pay the required fee and wait for feedback.
- Obtain a study permit
- Come to Canada and begin studying.
Applying for a Canada Study Visa from Bhutan
After flying from Paro in Bhutan to Toronto in Canada which is about 23 hours journey. The study permit will be the only ticket that will allow you to proceed to study in any university or college in Canada.
Study Permits Canada Requirements
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Educational establishment in Canada
- Proof of Funds in Bhutan sufficient for study in Canada
- Round-trip flight ticket from Bhutan to Canada, which proves to the visa officer that you will leave Canada when your permit expires.
- Recent Immigration medical Examination report regarding your present state of health
- Police clearance certificate, which confirms that you would conform to Canada‘s law.
Study permit Canada document checklist
- Bhutan Passport. (make sure it is valid beyond the term of the visa you seek)
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Educational establishment in Canada
- Proof of Funds in Bhutan
- Passport Size Photographs.
- An Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score where required
- Statement of Purpose for Travel from Bhutan to Canada
- Credit Card
Method of Application
The two basic method you can apply for the study permit is online and offline. In case you are more convenient to apply offline you will need to contact KarmaTshering, Field Director at the BCF Thimphu office, for assistance at 975-77171177 or [email protected].
There is no Canadian government office in Bhutan. The High Commission of Canada to India has consular responsibility for Bhutan.
In conclusion, Bhutanese students intending to study in Canada will enjoy the access to quality education, health care and post study opportunities.
Canada Student Permit cost from Bhutan?
The Canadian Study Permit costs $150 (8,994BTN) Canadian per person for applicants from Bhutan
As a Bhutanese International Student can I get Canadian Permanent Residence?
Yes, in fact it is the reason why many students from Bhutan convert their Canada student visa to full Canadian Permanent residency via the Canadian Experience Class Visa.
The CEC visa is the main reason why individuals study in Canada from Bhutan. The Canadian Experience Class is a direct path to Canadian Citizenship and dual nationality.
What is processing time for Canadian student visa applications from Bhutan?
It takes minimum of 15 days
Can I bring my family with me from Bhutan Canada on a student visa?
If you are a Citizen of Bhutan you will usually be able to bring your partner or spouse and dependent children with you.
There are no restrictions on the number of hours your partner or spouse may work in Canada for the duration of the visa
How to get a scholarship to study in Canada from Bhutan?
There are lots of scholarships opened to Bhutanese prospects in Canada both fully and partly funded scholarships. You just need to go online and search for the perfect one for your school and course
Who can sponsor Bhutanese students to Canada?
Without doubts, your parents, family member, guardian, spouse, common-law partners or employers can sponsor your post-secondary education in Canada.