The quest to study in Canada from Burundi becomes inevitable for the highly informed Burundians likewise the ones from wealthy homes seeking for educational exposure.
The continuous increase in the number of Burundians seeking for admission to study in Canada Universities and colleges shouldn’t be a thing of surprise to you because Canada is multicultural and bilingual (French and English) making it easier for Burundians to adapt, also the enviable reputation of Canada’s education system is unbeatable. .
This article will provide you that needed comprehensive guided to know all the processes involved in applying to study in Canada from Burundi, work while studying and post studies opportunities in Canada.
In this article
- Why Study in Canada
- Types of Programs for Burundians in Canada
- How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Burundi
- Scholarship for Burundian Students in Canada
- Benefit of Canadian Scholarship for Burundian Students
- Applying for Canada Study Visa from Burundi
- Study Permit
- Study permit/visa requirements
- Application Procedures
- Canadian Visa Office in Burundi
Why Study in Canada
Canada being amongst top rated Countries in terms of standard of living, technological advancement, relative peace, safe environment and high quality of education no doubt attracts international students more than every other country; few amongst the top reasons why Burundians study in Canada are stated below:
- The cost of studying in Canada is not so heavy on one’s pocket. The employment opportunities in Canada are unmatched.
- There are seven universities in Canada that are ranked amongst first 200 universities in the world with university of Toronto being in the 25th.
- The ease of access to medical health care in Canada is 70 times better than Burundi, naturally we all love proper and intensive healthcare facilities.
- The average disposable salary of a worker in Canada after tax is $2,773 as compared to that of Burundi which is $256; this is ten times lower than that of Canada.
- The relative peace and security in Canada is not any in way compared to Burundi that is highly volatile and not advisable for visitation by foreigners. Research has shown that more than 400 Burundians filed refugee claims in Ottawa between 2013 and 2017, there are has not been any significant improvement in the relative peace in the country.
- The availability of numerous scholarships and study loans for international students in which Burundians aren’t exempted.
- The friendly immigration policies for foreigners and spirit of accommodation are unmatched.
- A Canadian study visa allows Burundians students to work while studying. They can work for a maximum of up to 20 hours a week and full time during semester breaks and summer breaks. The major benefit is they can work without having to apply for a separate work permit.
Types of Programs for Burundians in Canada
The number of programs for Burundians in Canada is not different from the programs available to most other nations coming to Canada to study. The programs include:
- Undergraduate program
- Diploma Program
- Masters Degree
- PhD Program
This program is available for Burundians that has completed the three years upper secondary school and obtained Diplôme ďEtat (State Diploma) in Burundi.
This program is mostly a full time program and the duration is between 3 years to 4 years depending on the course you are been offered.
The certificate being given after the completion of the programs and having satisfied all the requirements is Bachelor Degree.
The Universities in Canada offer two diploma programs which are undergraduate and post graduate diploma, essentially the diploma program prepare and expose the students for further studies in their post graduate and under graduate courses.
It is a short-term course generally of 2 or 3 years which mainly with an award of certificates after successful completion.
Masters Degree program
The master degree program is a post graduate program offered in the universities of Canada, Burundians that has successfully completed their undergraduate program and obtained Bachelor Degree either in Canada or in Burundi is eligible to apply for the program.
Masters degree programs typically last for 2 years on average in Canada and can vary slightly depending on the kind of program you are studying.
The certificate awarded after successful completion of the program is Master of Science (M.Sc.), Master of Arts (M.A.), Master in Engineering (M.Eng.) etc.
This is a postgraduate course that is focus on exposing undergraduates to advance business management, development and opportunities in relation to technological analysis and optimization.
Entrepreneurial knowledge and proficiency is not exempted in MBA (Masters in Business Administration.) The program is mostly a fulltime program and could take up to 2 years to complete it.
This is the apex of all the programs available for international students studying in Canada, PhD simply means the Doctor of Philosophy, it is basically an advance research studies in your area of specialization.
The Burundian applying for PhD in Canada must have completed his or her master’s degree in any University.
The program last for three years before such a postgraduate student can be conferred the degree. The opportunity to get juicy job after the completion of this program is very high.
How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Burundi
Identify the program of your choice
It is very important as an intending student to study in Canada from Burundi to identify the category of program you want to enroll for, this will simplify your access to information. If you are planning to apply for undergraduate program, then your course of study is important.
The choice of institution depends on some key factors which are listed below:
- Type of program you are planning to enrolled
- Availability of your choice of course especially for undergraduates
- Tuition fee and availability of study aid like loan or scholarship
- Admission Requirements
- Application deadlines.
Method of Application
Basically you can apply for admission to study in Canada from Burundi through online by accessing the university/college official website or manually through mailing.
It is important to note that you can apply personally or through a consultancy firm, this is advisable for require fee.
Check out for Updates
The moment you are able to apply successfully, the next is to constantly check your mail with respect to their timeline for updates and further instructions from the University or College official email.
It won’t be a bad idea if you check the university website to familiarize yourself with other activities of the University/College that is not captured here.
Minimum academic requirements
These are the academic requirements that should be considered when applying for admission from Burundi into any college or university in Canada.
- You need to provide your secondary school certificate.
- Entrance average not below 70% with the college or university in Canada
- Certificate and official transcript issued by a recognized Burundi university/college
- English/French language requirements
- English or French language proficiency tests from any of the testing bodies below and submit its valid results for admission processing to a Canadian college or university.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
- Michigan English Test
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test
- Test d’Évaluation du Français Canada (TEF)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Test de Connaissance du Français Canada (TCF)
- Duolingo English Test (DET)
- Canadian Test of English for Scholars and Trainees (CanTEST)
- Cambridge Assessment English test (CAE or CPE)
Scholarship for Burundian Students in Canada
The moment you are admitted to any university or college in Canada, you are eligible to over 200 scholarships available by different institutions and organizations in Canada; few are also available by other international organizations for international students studying in Canada.
The only thing required of you as a student to get qualified and enjoy the benefits of the scholarships available is the excellent academic performance.
Your ability to constantly check for scholarship updates alongside eligibility criteria will be an added advantage.
Not all scholarships are available for full funding, some are partial funding, always check out this.
Benefit of Canadian Scholarship for Burundian Students
A fully funded Canadian Scholarship covers a lot of benefits.These range from:
- Tuition Fees
- Accommodation fees
- Books Allowance
- VISA and Travel Fees
- Feeding Allowance
- Any other Expenses
Applying for Canada Study Visa from Burundi
Obviously, study visa/permit is an essential endorsement that allows you to travel to study in Canada from Burundi. As a student intending to study in Canada from Burundi what you will need is the student permit.
As the name implies it is a document the Canadian Government issues that allow foreign students from Burundi to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada.
Study permit/visa requirements
As a Burundian seeking for study permit from the Canadian immigration services. You will be required to present the followings:
- Proof of acceptance from your from the university/college in Canada.
- Proof of your Identity
- Proof of your financial support throughout your stay
- Valid passport or travel documents
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score where required
- Statement of Purpose for Travel (being to study)
It shouldn’t be a thing of worry to you because you don’t need to travel to Canada to get your study visa. There are two ways to apply and get your study visa, the online and offline method.
This method require you to just log in to the Canada immigration service official website, feel all the necessary information, upload all the requested documents, pay the processing fee and wait for feedbacks.
This method will require you to move out of your and go to the Canadian embassy office in Burundi to fill out the paper forms, attached all relevant documents, pay the processing fee and return home while you are await response.
Study Permit Extension
In the case of unforeseen circumstances that could or may occur in the course of your study which could warrant you to stay longer than the approved duration, the Canada immigration service allow you to apply for study permit extension to enable you complete your program conveniently.
It is important to apply for study permit extension 30 days earlier before the expiration of your study visa.
Canadian Visa Office in Burundi
- Hôtel Club du Lac Tanganyika
- (+257) 22 245 898
- (+257) 22 245 899
- [email protected]
Can a Burundian studying in Canada access study loan?
Yes, study is available for Burundians studying in Canada by some private lenders and Universities.
How much can I borrow as a student?
Undergraduates can borrow up to $12,500 annually and $57,500 total in federal student loans. Graduate students can borrow up to $20,500 annually and $138,500 total..
Is there criteria been considered?
Yes, the lenders will look into your academic success, career path, home country, expected year of graduation date and the school you attend.
Is Cosigner required?
No but having a creditworthy co-signer may improve the interest rate you are offered loan.
Is there any hidden cost?
Yes there are costs such as Flight fee, Accommodation fee, Living expenses, Taxes, Health insurance support, Cost of visa and study permit.
What is the Canadian study permit fee in Burundi?
To get a Canadian study visa in Burundi, you will have to pay a fee of CAD $150. The fee also includes extension fee.
What is Canada study permit processing time?
The processing time for Canada study visa from Burundi is between 4 weeks to 20 weeks. However, it can take longer time if you encounter some problems.
What is the duration of stay for study visa?
The duration is one year to five years.
What is a Canadian Study Permit Number?
A Canadian Study Permit Number is a document number that appears on official immigration documents and your Burundi Passport. For study permits, It is usually printed in black ink with the letter “F” (for study permits) followed by 9 number.