We will be providing you with information and guide that will help you apply for study from Canada to Cameroon.
With this information, you will gain knowledge on reasons and benefits of studying in Canada, popular Canadian provinces, average tuition, student loan, study permit requirements, fees, scholarships, academic programs, among others.
All this information will serve as full guide that will transform you from being a Cameroonian student to an International student from Canada.
Table of Contents
- Why Study in Canada from Cameroon?
- Popular Canadian Provinces for Cameroonian Students
- Types of programs Cameroonian students can study in Canada
- How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Cameroon
- Scholarship for Cameroonian Students in Canada
- Applying For Canada Study Visa From Cameroon
Why Study in Canada from Cameroon?
Canada has one of the most generous immigration programs in the world. This level of open offerings for people from Cameroon to gain entry, permanent residency and Canadian Citizenship are unsurpassed.
The Canadian Study Permit program and the Canadian residency pathways for you and your family are no exception.
Apart from the Canadian Education system being among the best in the world, your time spent studying in Canada gives you access to permanent residency pathways after Graduation.
This means you can move from Cameroon to Canada Permanently if you choose.
Here are reasons why you may want to study in Canada:
- access to some of the best education institutions in the world
- ability to work as a Cameroonian Citizen in Canada
- simple process of application open to Cameroonian students
- a clear and popular path to long term visa options for permanent residency in Canada.
- Studying in a Canadian institution places you in a step ahead for immigration to Canada.
- The post-secondary institutions in Canada avails scholarships to international students than the institutions in other foreign countries, including Cameroon.
Popular Canadian Provinces for Cameroonian Students
These are the most popular Canadian province for Cameroonian students.
- Montreal: Montreal stands out as a real dynamic cultural hub for students from all around the world
- Vancouver: One of the most well-living places around the world. The city is home to about 50% of minorities in that region, therefore, making it an ideal location for international students.
- Ontario: The Canadian province of Ontario is a thriving, populous and commercial province located in central Canada. Besides, Ontario holds the largest portion of Canada’s population.
- Quebec: The province of Quebec is a very huge Francophone Canadian province consisting of several cities. Additionally, Quebec is the largest province in Canada, followed by Ontario.
Types of programs Cameroonian students can study in Canada
- Undergraduate programs: These programs are for students that just graduated from high school and want to study in Canada from Cameroon.
- Graduate Diploma: These programs enable you further your studies so as to earn ore credit.
- Masters: Of course, there are varieties of Masters degree programs availed by Canadian institutions. These include MSc, MA, MPH, MLA, MFA, MSM, MPA, MSW, etc.
- MBA: Master in Business Administration degree seems professional than other masters programs. For the most part, MBA study lasts for up to two (2) years.
- PhD/Doctorate: PhD is the highest degree you can get in a post-secondary institution. Besides, Doctorate degree programs usually last for a minimum of 3 years.
How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Cameroon
To apply for admission in Canada , there are vital information you need such as academic requirement, language requirement, statement of purpose and reference letter.
Minimum Academic Requirements
You must have graduated from high school if you want to apply for an undergraduate program in Canada.
Furthermore, graduate studies applicants need to have previously completed an undergraduate program from a recognized institution.
However, you need to attain a minimum admission average of 70%
English Language Requirements
Canadian educational institutions accept the test results of several proofs of language skills.
Besides, the language requirement of each Canadian post-secondary institution is different from the other.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) assessment
- Michigan English Test
- Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- Duolingo English Test
- Reference letter: The educational institution may request you to provide letter of reference (s) from an academician, clergy, etc.
- Completed Application form
- Essay/s or writing sample
- Statement of Purpose required for graduates and optional for undergraduates
- Resume for MBA Students
- Official score reports of SAT/TOEFL/GRE/GMAT to be sent by ETS
- Letter from Bank stating – funds available for study
- Affidavit of Financial Support i.e. letter signed from sponsor or parent
- Transcripts and Mark sheets from College or University
- Certificates of Extracurricular Activities
Self Application vs. Use of Consultants/Representatives
Basically, you can apply for study in Canada from Ghana by yourself or through an educational consultant or representative.
Moreover, using a consultant or representative has great benefits since they are mostly accredited by the institution’s itself.
Scholarship for Cameroonian Students in Canada
The cost of studying in Canada is very high. Thus, you can check if you are eligible for scholarships in order to lower the expensive cost.
Eligibility for Scholarships
scholarships in Canada are merit-based and are awarded to students based on their academic performance.
You only need to attain an entrance average not less than 70% before a scholarship can be automatically awarded to you.
Organizations that Offer Scholarships to Cameroonians
MasterCard Foundation Scholarships
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)
Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
Margaret McMara Educational Grants (MMEG) for Women from Developing Countries
Benefits of Canadian Scholarships for Cameroonian Students
A Free Scholarship covers a lot of benefits. These ranges from:
- Tuition Fees
- Accommodation fees
- Books Allowance
- VISA and Travel Fees
- Feeding Allowance
- Any other Expenses
How to Apply for Scholarship to Study in Canada from Cameroon
If you desire applying for a scholarship before leaving Cameroon, you need to visit the college or university’s official website for directives on available financial aids and application guidelines on how to apply for Canadian scholarship.
Full vs. Partially-Funded Scholarships
Generally speaking, fully funded scholarships covers 100% of your tuition fee for an academic year while partial-funded scholarships only covers part of your tuition fee.
Applying For Canada Study Visa From Cameroon
Definitely you will need a student permit before you can study anywhere in Canada.
However, this aspect covers information on the requirements, fees, document checklist, as well as processing time for Canadian study permit.
What is a Study Permit in Canada?
A Canadian Student Visa or Educational Visa is called a Canadian Study Permit. The study permit is a document the Canadian Government issues that allows foreign students from Cameroon to study at designated learning institutions (DLI)’s in Canada.
Cameroon nationals need a study permit to study in Canada. The time to apply is before you travel to Canada.
Study Permit Canada Requirements
- Valid Cameroon Passport. (make sure it is valid beyond the term of the visa you seek)
- Proof of Acceptance by a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.
- Proof of Funds in Cameroon (see below for the minimum funds requirements)
- Passport Size Photographs.
- An Immigration Medical Examination (IME)
- English Language Proficiency Exam Score where required
- Statement of Purpose for Travel (being to study)
- Credit Card
Study Visa Application Offices in Cameroon
Édifice “Les Colonnades” Nouveau Bastos Rue 1 792 P.O. Box 572 Yaoundé Cameroon
(+237) 222 50 39 00
When should I apply for my Study Permit?
You should apply for a study permit as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance (LOA) from your chosen institution.
To apply for your Student Permit fill in our Free Visa Assessment to obtain details on the fastest and most cost effective application path for your specific circumstances as a citizen of Cameroon.
What is the age limit for Canada student visa from Cameroon?
There is an age limit range to be granted a student educational visa to Canada. To obtain a Canadian Study Permit as a Cambodian student, you must be between 18 years of age and 35 years of age.
Canada Student Permit Minimum Age is 18 Years
Canada Student Permit Maximum Age is 35 Years from Cameroon
The age is taken from the date of your birthday turning 18 and until the day before your 36th Birthday. You can of course study in Canada above the age of 35, however, you will need to do so under a different Canada visa pathway.
How long does it take to get a Canadian student visa when applying from Cameroon?
Usually 15 days are enough as there are no Interviews for the Canadian student visa and permit. Please do not schedule flights from Cameroon to Canada until after you have been granted your visa.
Can I Work and Study in Canada as a Cambodian Student?
There are 2 categories of visa for students wishing to study in Canada from Cameroon
- the SW-1 Visa or study permit which is the Study Work Visa for students and is given to students who have a compulsory work, internship or co-op program within their nominated study program.
- S-1 Visa or study permit is for all other students in standard education programs that have and optional work or co-op program or none at all. This is the study permit given to the majority of Cambodian Students looking to study in Canada.
Do you need IELTS to be granted a study permit for Canada as applicant from Cameroon?
Canadian Immigration does not require IELTS for the study permit application. However, as a Cambodian speaker, most high level post-secondary Canadian teaching institutions will require you to provide proof of your language proficiency in order for you to be offered admission.
IELTS is just one of the accepted exams. Please contact your preferred institution for their student application IELTS requirements for Citizens of Cameroon.