Study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire – Full Guide
Generally speaking, this article will provide you with various information and guidelines that Ivorian students use to apply for study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire.
To begin with, many Ivorian students have left large cities in Côte d’Ivoire such as Abidjan, Lagunes, Bouaké, Gbêkê, Haut-Sassandra, etc, in order to study in a post-secondary institution in Canada.
Besides, these students are able to get all-inclusive benefits regardless of the Canadian college or university they are enrolled in.
As a matter of fact, applying to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire has strong and lasting effects in your student life, experience and career.
Therefore, this article covers diverse information on how Ivorian students can become international students in Canada, as well as on average tuition fee, admission requirements, study permit application, financial aids, etc.
Why Study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire?
Below are reasons why you need to apply for admissions to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire rather than enrolling in Ivorian higher educational institutions like University of Science or Technology Ivory Coast, Université Félix Houphouët-Boigny, etc.
- Firstly, Canada has many world-class colleges and universities than Côte d’Ivoire.
- Secondly, you can easily secure study loans even if you do not have a credit score/history. This is very unlike Côte d’Ivoire.
- Thirdly, employment is guaranteed to Ivorian students, amongst other international students.
- Fourthly, there are many opportunities to gain work experience during your studies in Canada via internships, work placements, etc.
- Fifthly, you do not need to apply for some scholarships in Canada (entrance scholarships). These kinds of scholarships do not exist in Côte d’Ivoire.
- Lastly, studying in Canada provides an immigration pathway that enables Ivorian students to procure Canadian permanent residency.
Popular Canadian Provinces for Ivorian students
Certainly, you will easily find Ivorian students in the following provinces.
The Canadian province of Quebec is indeed the largest province countrywide.
Since the official language of Côte d’Ivoire is also French, most Ivorian students prefer to study in Quebec due to its language uniqueness.
Moreover, you do not need to learn French or partake in special lessons in order to understand the language.
Without doubt, the province of Ontario is a great place to be.
After all, Ontario is a well-fixed and commercial place for various kinds of businesses.
Obviously, New Brunswick is a bi-lingual province in southeastern Canada. Its languages, English and French is one thing that really attracts Ivorian students to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire.
Types of Programs Ivorian Students can Study in Canada
- Undergraduate programs: These include diploma, certificate, as well as bachelor degree programs across diverse fields of study such as arts, business, history, accounting, etc.
- Graduate diploma: You mostly need to enroll in a graduate diploma before commencing graduate studies.
- Masters: As an Ivorian graduate, you can apply to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire for Masters of Art, Masters of Science, Masters of Fine Art, etc.
- MBA: This Master degree program focuses on business administration. Moreover, it is a professional degree program involving two years of study.
- PhD: Also known as Doctorate, PhD is the most advanced degree program available. Besides, its studios usually last for a minimum of three years.
Cost of Studying in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire
Explore for information on average tuition, least personal support amount, sponsors, study loans, etc.
Average tuition fee for int’l students
The following are the average tuition fee you will probably pay after receiving an acceptance letter to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire.
- Undergraduate programs: 6,397,215 XOF to 9,595,820 XOF
- Graduate programs: 4,112,495 XOF to 12,337,485 XOF
Minimum personal support amount in Canada
As you are preparing to apply to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire, you also need to set apart a minimum personal support amount of 4,569,439 XOF ($10,000 Canadian Dollars).
Besides, this helps to cover urgent expenses during your study in Canada.
Who can sponsor Ivorian students to Canada
Indeed, the following persons can provide financial support for your admission to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire.
- Parents, guardian or family member
- Common-law partner
- Relative, amongst other persons
Study Loan for Ivorian Students in Canada
If your sponsorship cannot cater for all your needs, you can apply for a study loan from MPOWER Financing without credit check.
Moreover, MPOWER Financing provides Ivorian students with a fixed-rate study loan up to CAD $100,000 at low interest rates.
Other Costs to think about to Study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire
Below are the other costs involved for Ivorian students who want to study in Canada.
|Flight from Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire to Montreal, Canada (Emirates Skywards)||–||657,000|
Scholarship for Ivorian Students in Canada
Indeed, we have combined a wide range of resources as regards to scholarships for Ivorian students who want to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire.
General Eligibility for Scholarships to Study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire
Of course, you can get entrance scholarships in Canada without any prior application.
This is possible as entrance scholarships are awarded to eligible international students, including Ivorians based on academic achievement.
Besides, many Canadian colleges and universities provide entrance scholarships to Ivorian students based on a minimum eligibility requirement of 70% as admissions average.
Organizations that Offer Scholarships to Ivorians
As an Ivorian student, you may apply for scholarships provided by any of these organizations.
- The Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
How to Apply for Scholarship to Study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire
For the most part, you can qualify and get Canada’s entrance scholarships without undergoing any application process.
If you intend applying for other financial aids in Canada, it is important to visit the sponsor or organization’s website for application guidelines on each scholarships.
Full vs. Partially Funded Scholarships
Without doubts, Ivorian students can apply for both full scholarships, as well as partially funded scholarships.
Hence, full scholarships cover your complete tuition without leaving you with any amount to balance.
Moreover, partially funded scholarships will not pay 100% of your tuition. It usually covers for up to 50% of your tuition amount.
How to Apply for Admission in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire
Read through for comprehensive guide on applying to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire.
Minimum Academic Requirements
Of course, undergraduate and graduate programs have different academic requirements that must be met in order to be eligible to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire.
Academic Requirements for Undergraduate Programs
- High school transcript of study, as well as your secondary school leaving certificate. Furthermore, you must attain a grade not below C per course.
- Admissions average not less than 70%
Academic Requirements for Graduate Programs
As a graduate of Université Félix Houphouët-Boigny, Université Alassane Quattara, University of Science or Technology Ivory Coast or any Ivorian post-secondary institution, you can apply for graduate studies in Canada after fulfilling the following requirement.
- Must have graduated from a recognized university with certificates and transcripts
English/French Language Requirements
If you plan to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire, language requirements is one thing you cannot avoid.
However, you can satisfy the language requirement through any of these English or French language tests.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
- Duolingo English Test (DET)
- Michigan English Test (MET)
- Test de Connaissance du Français Canada (TCF Canada)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test
- Test d’Evaluation de Français Canada (TEF Canada)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume
- Statement/letter of intent: You need to compose a one-paged essay with information on your purpose for choosing to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire.
- Reference(s) letters from specific persons like teachers
Steps to Apply for Admission from Côte d’Ivoire
Here are the steps to follow in applying for study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire.
- To begin with, search for colleges and universities in the Canadian province or territory you intend to stay.
- Secondly, ascertain program availability and check general, as well as program-specific admission requirements.
- Thirdly, apply for admission, pay application fee, and then submit transcript with other supporting documents.
- Fourthly, wait for decision.
- Fifthly, receive acceptance letter if your application was successful.
- Finally, apply for Canadian study permit. Besides, you need to contact VFS Global in Abidjan for aid.
Self Application vs. Use of Consultants/Representatives
Of course, a larger number of Ivorian students in Canada consulted or hired an educational consultant via use of a representation form while applying for their admission.
Besides, hiring an educational consultant helps you to avoid some hurdles since you are working with an expert in the field.
With this in mind, here are examples of some educational consultants in Côte d’Ivoire.
Seed Educational Consulting
Address: Residence Roume, 2e etage, 4500, Bd Roume,
Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Figs Education Abidjan
Address: Voie Djibi, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Phone number: +225 22003348
Applying for Canada Study Visa from Côte d’Ivoire
Of course, you need a study visa/permit to gain authorization to leave Côte d’Ivoire for Canada without hindrances.
Study Permit Canada Requirements
If you desire to secure admission to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire, you must make provisions of the following.
- Letter of Acceptance (LOA) from a Designated Learning Institution
- Proof to fund
- Police certificate
- Reports of medical examination
- Proof to move away from Canada subsequent to your Canadian study permit expiry
Study Permit Canada Fees
Certainly, Ivorian students need to pay a sum of CAD $150 (68,540 XOF) as Canadian study permit application fee.
Study Permit Canada Document Checklist
Generally speaking, Ivorian students are required to prepare the following documents for submission while applying for admission to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire.
- Passport or traveling papers (must be valid)
- Acceptance letter from a college or university in Canada
- Letter of explanation featuring your aspirations and responsibilities as an Ivorian student
- Proof of funds such as evidence of tuition payment, statement of account, loan documents, Guaranteed Investment Certificate, financial aid documents, and more
- Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ) from Gouvernement du Québec
Study Permit Canada Processing Time
After applying for permit to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire, you need to give time for processing.
Thus, the processing time of Canadian study permit from Côte d’Ivoire is about fourteen (14) weeks, which is equivalent to three and half months.
Paper vs. Online Application
Indeed, you can apply for Canadian study permit via online or paper application.
All things considered, Gouvernement du Canada declared that Ivorian students, and other international students should apply online for study permit.
Study Visa application Offices in Côte d’Ivoire
Below is the full contact information of the visa application office (VFS Global) in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
- Centre de demandes de visa Arabie Saoudite (VFS Global Abidjan):
Address: 1640 J 49, Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire.
Phone number: 2722549715
Email: [email protected]
- Website: vfsglobal.com
How to Check Study Permit Application Status
Of course, the application status of Canadian study permit is checkable via the internet by signing in with your GCKey or using your banking information with partnered Canadian financial institutions.
However, examples of these Canadian banks include Simplii Financial Bank, Tangerine Bank, ScotiaBank, National Bank of Canada, Bank of Montreal (BMO), Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC), TD Bank, and more
What is best time to apply for study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire?
Between May to August
Do I need IELTS or TOEFL to study in Canada from Côte d’Ivoire?
Indeed, IELTS or TOEFL test results are accepted to apply to colleges and universities in Canada.
Can Ivorian students work in Canada while studying?
Yes, you can.
Is Canada the best country for Ivorian students?
Of course, up to 90% of graduates, including Ivorians asserted that they were satisfied with their studies in Canada.